"Homemade weights" ideas?

• So my finances are a bit though this month. I have read about all the benefits of lifting and now I want to start lifting weights.

Without buying equiptment, do you guys have any tips/ideas as to what I can use at home to lift? I do all my excercises at home from DVD's because I'm not close to a gym.

ANY thoughts or comments on this would be appreciated
  • Why not just use body weight? Some of the toughest exercises I do are bodyweight-only. For example, push-ups are killers. If you have to start on you knees and progress to full-body push-ups, that's fine. Also, there are many other bodyweight exercises that you can find online; just Google it.

I take a class once a week at a local gym, and the instructor uses bodyweight only exercises for at least half the time. I usually cannot even finish the reps---they're that tough.
  • Other than body weight...Drink bottles with handles -- half gallon, gallon milk or juice? Just refill with water. Or sand. Or rocks. However heavy it is you want it to be.

A.
  • I was going to suggest, like astrophe, bottles with sand. You can also use normal stuff you have around your house. I have a friend who runs on the treadmill while holding a bag of dogfood over his head (firefighter training). I have another friend who benchpresses and does leg lifts with her toddler. Also, keep an eye on craigslist and you may find a good deal on some weights.
  • How about a duffel bag/backpack filled with stuff. I made a punching bag from a zip up bag filled with the old jeans that were too big for me. That was fun-punching the old 'fat jeans'-lol!

If you have a sledgehammer around the house, you can do the shovelglove routine http://www.shovelglove.com/movements/

Just look for stuff around the house that has some weight to it.
    If finances get better, maybe purchase a set of resistance tubing.
  • Thie post at Stumptuous may be helpful to you. I do a lot of body weight stuff myself.
    http://www.stumptuous.com/no-weights-no-problem
  • Thank you everyone for the input. I will surely take your advice!

I especially love the duffle bag idea
    Quote: How about a duffel bag/backpack filled with stuff. I made a punching bag from a zip up bag filled with the old jeans that were too big for me. That was fun-punching the old 'fat jeans'-lol!

If you have a sledgehammer around the house, you can do the shovelglove routine http://www.shovelglove.com/movements/

Just look for stuff around the house that has some weight to it.
    If finances get better, maybe purchase a set of resistance tubing.
  • I am working on a weight lifting backpack. I have one of those backpacks that is supposed to distribute weight differently and using all the change in my change jar, putting it in ziploc bags and weighing them. I will add weight as I get used to the weight. I really want a weight vest but can't afford one right now. I have about 20 lbs of change to use.
  • Circuit training as well. I know someone mentioned body weight exercises. The main portion of my weight training is circuit. I do a series of pushups, jumping jacks, planks, squats, sit-ups. I'll be adding some calf lifts on stairs to help strengthen those guys, some lunges.

Also, pilates is a great workout. Youtube has a series called "pop pilates". They're very nice routines that do a great job killing your muscles! I don't do pilates as much as I'd like to. I think I will focus on doing it a bit more soon.
  • Patio bricks, kitchen chair, any heavy toy or appliance can be used as weight.

If the milk jug handle is too small hook a strap to it. Manual labor moving a pile of bricks or wood from one place to another, compound movements.