How often do you go to they gym?

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • Hi everyone,

So my question is pretty basic. How often do you go to the gym? or purposely exercise?

I tend to only go to the gym 3-4 times a week. I do a 60 minutes high intensity cardio (my heart rate is on average about 168bpm) and then some basic weights, stretching and maybe some pilates or yoga to cool down. I'm just a bit worried that I'm not spending enough time moving through the week. I am a full time uni student through the week, so I spend most of my day either in lectures or on a computer. The weekends don't tend to be a problem because I work retail and am on my feet for 6-8 hours at a time.

Thanks for your help.
  • 3x a week, one hour 1/2 cardio 1/2 weights. I run more often outside when it's warmer.
  • I go to the gym to weight train only 3-4x/week, 40 mins...

I run outside 3x/week, 50 mins...

Sometimes, I run and weight train on the same day... just depends on how the schedule goes...
  • I go to the gym... when I want to go to the gym . I end up there usually 6 days a week, but I never feel like I have to "force" myself to go. I go becasue it makes me feel awesome!

I lift 3x/week (that usually takes me about 45 minutes) and then get in my cardio. I LOVE the group exercise classes my gym offers, so I've been using cycling and martial arts inspired classes for my cardio.
  • I try to go 5x a week, doing weights 3 of those days. I don't have school or 'work' though. I am a stay at home mom, as long as my house isn't completely trashed my husband doesn't care how much time I'm in the gym! lol I'm sure if I had a 'real' job or school I wouldn't go near as often. Do what you can when you can, it's certainly better than nothing!
  • Like tuende, I usually go to the gym 6x a week. I have a GREAT gym with really fun classes and instructors, so I actually look forward to my hour long workout every day.

I generally go to balletone (ballet-inspired cardio/tone class) 3x a week, flex (weightlifting class) 2x a week, and a yoga class+some light cardio on the sixth day. I ALWAYS make sure to get at least one rest day per week, though. Our bodies need them Also, keeps me from getting burnt out!
  • Right now? Zero. Been dealing with eldercare crisis in the fam.

To lose weight in general? at least 4x a week, 45 min a pop from past experience. I'd like to get back to this.

A.
  • Do you mean literally "go to the gym" or just exercise in general?

I hate the gym haha, I only go for lifting.

Usually my routine each week is:
    45 minute run
    45 minute lifting
    Rest
    Yoga
    45 minute lifting
    1 hour walk
    Rest (or yoga)
  • I don't belong to a gym (tried it and was totally unmotivated/too lazy!) so I workout at home.

I have a stationary bike that I do at home 5x/week for 40 minutes, though I'll probably be increasing it up to 45 minutes soon.

I also walk to and from work via the train station 4x/week which takes me about 45 minutes each way.

I haven't done any strength training yet, so I'm going to be looking into ways to improve my upper body that I can do at home over the next month or so.
  • Thanks for all the responses guys. I might need to step up the work outs a bit.

indiblue: I was more just talking about exercise in general. Thanks for the input.
  • Quote: Thanks for all the responses guys. I might need to step up the work outs a bit.
    Not necessarily! Sounds like you are getting some good workouts. I too exercise max 5 times a week, sometimes 4. That includes a leisurely walk; each "exercise" is not necessarily running on the treadmill or elliptical till I die

I think quality is more important than quantity. If you are getting your heart rate up and doing GOOD weight bearing activities a few times a week, it sounds like your exercise regimen is great.
  • Max 5 days. Usually 4. I don't find that an extra day makes a big difference for weight loss, it's really my diet that makes the difference. I still feel guilty sometimes for not going more, but anything is better than nothing. It sounds like your workouts are great- the intensity makes a difference.
  • 5 or 6 days a week. i take a lot of classes, kickboxing on mon, cardio butt and gut on tues, intensity on wed, and cardio interval challenge on thurs. i also usually do 20 minutes of cardio after a class, sometimes i run, sometimes the elliptical, sometimes the arc, and on weekends i run outside.
  • 3 weight lifting session a week, sometimes followed by a yoga/Pilates/Tai Chi session. 3 other days of exercising per week, taking some of the group classes at my gym (BodyCombat, kickboxing, Zumba). Walking 3 kilometers every work day to and from the office.
  • Quote: Thanks for all the responses guys. I might need to step up the work outs a bit.
    Why? I go 6x a week because I sit down all day - if you're a student and you work a retail job where you're on your feet 6-8 hours a day, your schedule seems perfectly fine, especially since you're putting in 60 minute sessions when you do go.

You're doing great, keep it up