Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 10-29-2011, 05:03 PM   #76  
Closet health nut!

S/C/G: S268/C170s/G140s

Height: Officially 5'-6"

^facinating stuff!

Indi-I actually like the stick a bit better than the roller, but I think the roller might work better. The stick is nice cause you can just kinda lay on the couch and work the area.

Sorry I haven't been around much this month, now that it's almost over! Been crazy busy and been running less miles to allow my own injuries to heal. I've been doing tons of stretching, foal rolling and sticking and feeling a lot of improvement. So I'm excited. Unfortunately, I could probably use a few more weeks of really low milage, but I'm at a point where I have to start building if I'm going to run a marathon in March. I think I'll just have to keep my head on straight and listen to my body and know they'll always be marathons and limping to the start line is no fun. So we'll see how it goes. I'm really encouraged by my pain improvement so I'll keep it all up and hope for the best.

I ran 2, 3, 2, 3 and tomorrow I'm thinking 7. I had a really good 7 last weekend and even threw in a couple miles on the trails. That was pretty fun. Requires a lot of concentration on the feet. I'm surprised I did sprain something though.

Keep up the great work everyone and I'll see you all in November!
ncuneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 02:52 AM   #77  

S/C/G: 170/153/??

Height: 5'9"

So, my week wasn't so bad as far as jogging is concerned:

Thursday: 5.5 miles
Saturday: 5.5 miles
Sunday: 5.5. miles

But that's it - Mon - Wed I was extremely busy with an important project. It totally stressed me out, even have a cold sore to prove it! I need to somehow make time to jog, even if it is a short midnight jog, when I have stressful projects. It really helps bring me down and sleep better.

In general, I've been super happy with my new Mizuno's. They haven't let me down yet - they make jogging more comfortable than my other shoes. I bought them spontaneously, on sale, while I was in America - buying jogging shoes in Germany is SUPER expensive. You will spend at least $200. I'm pleasantly surprised.

Another story someone told me this week: The woman who recently ran a full marathon in her final term of pregnancy - she had a healthy baby 7 hours later!! Apparently her husband was there as well.

I want to be supportive of running - but have we NO moderation in our culture? The thing is, she didn't know if it would hurt the baby or not - it is not as if we have many documented cases of full-term pregnant women running marathons.

Indiblue: The sweets are sweet and while I love the Indian kitchen (it is one of my faves!), they often cook with an insane amount of ghee. Also, are Indians more susceptible to getting diabetes? Just curious.

So what do the contents of your fridge look like? I would always be on a sugar high if I were there - with fresh mango and banana!
Unna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 06:48 AM   #78  

S/C/G: 134/126/under 124

Height: 5'2.5

Who, weird. Double post. Didn't know that was possible on 3FC. Sorry!

Last edited by indiblue; 10-31-2011 at 06:48 AM.
indiblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 06:42 PM   #79  
learning maintenance

S/C/G: 159/120/118

Height: 5' 3.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by indiblue View Post
Who, weird. Double post. Didn't know that was possible on 3FC. Sorry!
looks like you deleted both of them?! Halloween magic?
can you write it again?!

Right, i'm off out for a run.

I haven't been doing much running recently, but i went out for one yesterday and enjoyed it more than i thought i would.

The trouble is i'm away from home at the moment and the landscape is desert and flat as a pancake around here, so not very inspiring really!
ange82much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 01:15 AM   #80  

S/C/G: 170/153/??

Height: 5'9"

ange82much: that sounds really hot! I'm not much of a jogger when it is too warm. I do like jogging on flatter routes though (I'm lazy).

I did 10.5km yesterday along the water canal. It was nice - I started to feel a twinge of arch pain after 55 min., but persisted and it magically went away. In the past it would kill me to run with the arch pain. I guess my body is adapting.

I think the adaptation of the body to jogging is not talked about enough. I mean, at least in my experience, I had tons of adapting the first year. I remember experiencing severe knee pain, pinkie toe problems (sounds little, but was very painful), terrible side pain, and then bad arch pain in my right foot.

I always read online where people jump into a half marathon the first year of jogging and am amazed. Now, after two years, I could do a half marathon, but pushing myself in the beginning, before my body had adapted, would just have resulted in a serious injury. I'm not sure what our hurry is - why do we need to push ourselves so hard and so soon?

I suppose that is the only thing that bothers me about jogging - it does not seem to be a sport of moderation. Sort of like cycling - it really isn't respected unless you travel hundreds of miles.

Last edited by Unna; 11-07-2011 at 01:16 AM.
Unna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 04:21 PM   #81  
learning maintenance

S/C/G: 159/120/118

Height: 5' 3.5"

Unna - good questions and good discussion - post them again in the November running thread and more people will see them.

Yes, i've had ITB issues and some shin splints, but they're the sort of injuries that you need to rest really and running with pain is doing more harm, so i haven't really run through much pain.

Agree that it took me a while to build up to half marathon distances and i still haven't done a marathon. A friend of ours recently did a 100km race though, and he didn't run regularly at all until he signed up for it, and then did a few months training. That was it. He finished middle of the pack. Amazing!!!
ange82much is offline   Reply With Quote