Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 09-28-2011, 05:02 PM   #1  
Pain Is Fuel

S/C/G: 180/176/118

Height: 5'5

Question Working Out Twice A Day - Good or Bad?

Hi there everyone!
I was hoping to get your input on something I have been thinking about a lot lately. Recently, on the days I have off of work I have been cutting my workout in half and doing it twice daily. I usually get on the treadmill for almost 60-70mins and night and burn between 500-600 calories. Lately, I have been getting on the treadmill in the afternoon and busting out 300 and then back on after dinner and busting out another 300.

I was wondering if anyone else does this and if its good for weight loss or am I somehow sabotaging myself?
Thanks in advance!
Mimzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 07:00 PM   #2  

Scientific findings say that moderate weight loss is more effective than long workouts. Since you are doing the same thing which uses the same muscles you are opening yourself up to injuries from overuse. The key for exercise is 150 minutes a week (minimum) of cardio and weights 3 times a week. You never exercise the same muscles 2 days in a row.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 10:50 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 134/126/under 124

Height: 5'2.5

I think there are a couple of different considerations--

1. Nothing wrong with getting in activity a few times a day. But it is important to mix it up. Are you RUNNING twice a day? That sets you up for injury and I would not recommend running twice a day, or running on consecutive days. Walking is great, but even better is walking one day, biking another, etc. That said, if you really like walking, you shouldn't have a problem getting in two walks a day on your treadmill.

2. I personally would NOT give any weight to how much your calorie counter says you're burning. Measure in distance, time, whatever, but calorie counters- those on machines especially but also even body monitors- are notoriously inaccurate. Relying on them can mislead you in how much work you've done and how much you should eat each day. See this sticky thread for more: http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exer...-accurate.html

good luck
indiblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 08:37 AM   #4  
Ilene the Bean

I was trying to find the litterature on that but I can't seem to find it... There is some good to working out twice/day and I wanted to give you facts...

It would be better if you had two different workouts, walking and biking or walking and weight training, but if the treadmill is all you have that's ok too... I often do 2 workouts/day yesterday it was running and a couple of hours later it was weights ... I also did the same last Sunday and Monday... Running and two different muscle groups of weight training... I enjoy it because it gives me a really good rest and refuel time inbetween the two workouts... You have to remember that working out this often takes time to get used to, I've been working out for 25+ years, over use injury is something that I am very aware of and I often take days off just in case...

Try it though, if it's more convenient for you, by all means do it, I would personnally get gored of 60-70 mins on a treadmill and would much rather do 2 increments of 30 mins each... IMHO...

Just my 2 cents...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 12:12 AM   #5  
Running for my life

S/C/G: 240/140

Height: 5'6"

Actually, I think you're just fine. The 500-600 calories on the treadmill is probably just about exactly right. Running 1 mile burns about 100 calories, so that sounds pretty accurate.

All of these rules just seem like background noise to me. Not to discount what anyone is saying, but if you think about it this way, how on earth do people train for marathons and other longer races? They run and work out almost every single day. Exercise is good for you, very good in fact. You didn't mention any injuries, so I am assuming that you aren't hurting anywhere. If you are, my advice would be a little different, but it seems that you are doing just fine.

I think you have a solid plan. I look forward to hearing of your progress.
milmin2043 is offline   Reply With Quote