Zumba Gym Class

• How long do you think it would take a semi uncoordinated dancer to get the complex parts of Zumba? They said I did great my first day but I get tripped up when it's like more than 3 or 4 steps to remember at once.
  • I'll be taking my third Zumba class tomorrow. I still look like a crazy uncoordinated fool and don't see that changing anytime soon! Ha! At least I'm having fun, right?
  • I was laughing as the sweat was pouring it was honestly one of the best classes I could have joined. I love dancing even if I'm not that coordinated lol.
  • The gym I'm at doesn't have Zumba, but they have a dance-y cardio class called SH'BAM that I've tried a few times (yes, it's as goofy as it sounds). I felt extradordinarily uncoordinated the first time, semi-uncoordinated the second time and pretty much fine the third time.

As long as you're laughing and sweating, what can be bad ?!
  • It takes a couple of weeks, but you'll get it!
  • I usually get the majority of the steps after 3 or 4 weeks...usually 4. Just hang in there and have fun!!
  • Zumba is awesome... I just thought I'd update on anyone interested... I'm going to be trying a more advanced Zumba class I think tomorrow. I'm addicted to Zumba now.
  • I'm really uncoordinated and a terrible dancer.. but I'm an awesome Zumba girl! It takes a few classes but it's super easy!!!
  • Our instructor always tells people that it takes about 4 times to REALLY get it. And I find that to be true. Previous dancers/cheerleaders tend to naturally "get" the rhythm, but most people take 4-5 classes.

After that, though, it is SOOOOOO FUN, b/c the steps come more naturally and you can really have fun with the moves, instead of trying so hard to learn.
  • I want to try a Zumba class with my friend at our gym but I'm kind of embarrassed - I'm definitely a horrible dancer. I feel like I'll look REALLY stupid but I guess I should try it, seems like so many people love it - does it really make you sweat??
  • I have noticed in my Zumba class everybody is too busy looking at the instuctor and trying to follow her, then to be looking at others. We have a such a blast!
  • I would love to try Zumba,BUT I've always been so nervous I will look like a fool. I'm glad to read that I see people are more focused on themselves and the instructor than looking around. Maybe I will try it..
  • Redautumn - thats a good point - I'll definitely be looking at the instructor more than anyone else. And anyway, who cares what others are thinking - whether I feel stupid or not I am doing this for ME - no one else - if I look goofy along the way - who cares, as long as I get fit at the same time!!

Andrbeck - we should both try it and then report back on our success and be proud of ourselves for stepping out of our comfort zones!
  • Just did my first class tonight and I'm positive I messed up every dance almost every step! lol BUT it was fun and I definitely walked out of there sweating =)
  • My daughter and I tried Zumba for the first time last weekend...it was a great and energetic workout. We both looked silly but we had lots of fun and no one seemed to care that we were messing up the steps. I am intending to keep trying it until I get it right!