3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Exercise! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise-34/)
-   -   exercising at home (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise/242547-exercising-home.html)

karlamac 09-06-2011 09:18 PM

exercising at home

I cant affor a gym membership right now. I have started walking 3 miles a day does anyone have any FREE ways to helpe kick start my weight loss? thank you

LGW 09-06-2011 09:31 PM

What you are doing right now is great! Don't discount walking -- especially 3 miles a day!!! You can also purchase any exercise DVD to do at home! I cannot because I'm on the 3rd floor and don't want to get complaints :)

Martina 09-06-2011 09:39 PM

Well it isn't free,but honestly Wal-Mart is your best friend. I have a VERY limited income, and I am home on disability due mainly to mental problems, so I have less than 700 a month coming in. Resistance bands are relatively cheap and you can take them with you, and that can substitute for free weights. The free weights there actually don't cost too much, but resistance bands are great to start out with. Or you can try cans of soup or cans of vegetables, and work your way up. :)

I second walking. That is always free. If you have a netflix subscription, they have tons of exercise videos on instant streaming. I have a ton saved on my queue (and I know a lot of people dislike netfix now, but I love netflix instant) and have done a few.

pixiegotfat 09-06-2011 09:49 PM

Dr. Oz said walking is the single most important thing we do. Our bodies are made to do it effortlessly. He suggested to pick up a 1 dollar pedometer and track for a week what you walk and then try to double it. i would take it off before your long walk though as to not try to double that every day. you can make hand weights with rice/beans in an empty plastic water bottle. a gallon milk jug filled with water weighs appx 8 lbs. Check out the Live Strong website for circut training suggestions: totally free!

Michi702 09-06-2011 10:46 PM

If you are near an Ocean State Job Lot, they have TONS of weights for very very cheap. The best for you would be to get some ankle strap on weights to add some burn to your walks each day. You might not want to do a whole 3 miles with them on because it will make a pretty big difference even if you add just 2 or 3 pounds per leg, but you can work your way up to 3 miles with them on.

Riemontana 09-07-2011 11:59 AM

Walking is the best excercise. I also am a big believer in using free weights. I started with soup cans, then water bottles, then a gallon jug. Lots of ideas on the web about toning excercises. I don't have any intention of joining a gym

ddc 09-07-2011 12:02 PM

I don't think wearing ankle weights will add much to your calorie burn and it could lead to you changing your gait enough to cause joint issues.
Stick with the walking, maybe add in some faster walking intervals and getting some resistance bands.
Keep up the good work!! :)

(oh, on the free workouts: pushups, wall sits, lunges, squats. You can find bodyweight workouts on youtube)

SC Vitamin C 09-07-2011 12:06 PM

If you have Comcast (and possibly other cable companies have this too), there is a Free On Demand channel called Exercise TV that have many different workouts you can use. I believe you can also get some of them on exercisetv.tv or something like that.

ERHR 09-07-2011 01:49 PM

If you can make a one-time investment in weights as others have suggested above, you can easily get weights workouts done in your home in addition to your walking. I have gotten weights workouts books from my local library and follow the plans and instructions laid out in the books.

ChickieChicks 09-07-2011 01:54 PM

Do you have a bike? I have come to LOVE biking around the neighborhood, ata high resistance and constant speed. Great workout!