Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 09-13-2011, 10:25 AM   #46  

S/C/G: 163/137/130-132

Height: 5' 6"

So, how do you know when it is okay to run again after an injury? I think I pulled a hamstring 10 days ago. I was sore from a day of yard work the day before, then went for a run, felt more sore after, and gradually turned into intense pain and lack of range of motion over two days, basically putting me out of commission for the next three days. It is now just a tightness in the back of my right thigh, and I can't quite touch my toes in a stretch. So, it is still there, a constant ache, but not pain. Okay, typing this out has made it clear to me that I should wait a bit. Ugghh, I am Jonesing for a run, more mentally than physically.
aimeebell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 01:59 PM   #47  
Calorie Counter-Runner

S/C/G: 309/158/164

Height: 5'8

Wow, Time just keeps FLYING ME BYE...

Happy Running Peeps!

20 miler on my birthday 9/5

13.1 this past sunday 9/11

for 47 miles last week.

Peak Marathon Training, College is started again and not sure why I'm here other than I'm escaping my responsibility for 15minutes, lol.

33 days till Marathon #2!!
twinmommaplusone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 02:00 PM   #48  
Calorie Counter-Runner

S/C/G: 309/158/164

Height: 5'8

Quote:
Originally Posted by aimeebell View Post
So, how do you know when it is okay to run again after an injury? I think I pulled a hamstring 10 days ago. I was sore from a day of yard work the day before, then went for a run, felt more sore after, and gradually turned into intense pain and lack of range of motion over two days, basically putting me out of commission for the next three days. It is now just a tightness in the back of my right thigh, and I can't quite touch my toes in a stretch. So, it is still there, a constant ache, but not pain. Okay, typing this out has made it clear to me that I should wait a bit. Ugghh, I am Jonesing for a run, more mentally than physically.
sorry to hear Can you cross train/swim?
twinmommaplusone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 03:00 PM   #49  

S/C/G: 173/152.2/130

Height: 5’7"

hi everyone!!! fell off the running wagon, but I’m back on now. did 5 easy miles last night. felt great, felt strong. Happy to be back

twinmomma, WOW! that’s a lot of miles. how inspiring!
shasha12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 03:29 PM   #50  
Closet health nut!

S/C/G: S268/C170s/G140s

Height: Officially 5'-6"

Hey Everyone, lots of great news here - everyone keep it up!

I'm totally the wrong person to ask when it's ok to run after injury. I've run through a sprained ankle, major knee pain and currently tendonitis (or planter faciitus). My best advice would be to just focus on your body and how you're feeling. No pain, doesn't necessarily mean it's ok either. Guess that doesn't help much :/

My arch is feeling a lot better, even after a horrible long run Sunday. I started wearing additional support on my left arch Monday and I think that has helped. I did 9.5 Sunday (*****ing and moaning the whole way), 3 Monday and will probably do 5 tomorrow. Strength training and yoga today.

Right now I'm trying to figure out where to find $ so I can do the LA Marathon, work has slowed down a little and I'm broke as a joke from our last vacation of fun and we're trying to save up so we can relocate next summer...so it may all be for not. But I've got the itch! I'm barely 4 weeks post half-marathon and I'm bored not training LOL. I've got a pretty strict running schedule right now so I can meet my goal of 1000 miles this year, but I want something more, even thought I'm not sure my body can handle it...oh well.

Weight loss is finally starting to move again now that my milage is down, but I keep goofing off on the weekends so it's slow going...

Anyhoo - great job ladies!
ncuneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 10:11 PM   #51  

S/C/G: 238/ticker/150

Height: 5'6

Ah, a new 5k PB tonight: 30:59 (on a treadmill though. Cheater!) My first reaction was anger! I wanted to get into the 20s. But compared to August 3 (around when I got my Garmin), I was doing 3.93km in 33 minutes. Now I'm doing 5k in 30:59? What the **** am I complaining about!?

I'm going to rock the run. Sunday! So close!

We also signed up for a Family Fun Run in October. 3k. Will be easy, and we'll bring the stroller!
fozentusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 11:34 PM   #52  
yehaw!!

S/C/G: 220/166/150

Height: 5'3

running on the ground is so much harder than running on the tredmill... i figured a little harder but damn... oh well i shall just keep pushing and it will get better.... RIGHT????
and fozen thats awsome.... keep it up!!!!
brillmama2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 04:23 AM   #53  

S/C/G: 134/126/under 124

Height: 5'2.5

HI everyone, just popped in to check in

I haven't run in several weeks. I haven't really felt "into" it. I have realized I don't want to push myself to run when I don't want to and end hating it. I'd rather do it for enjoyment sake.

I want to always be able to run 5K in 30 minutes whenever I want... that's my baseline goal for fitness.

There's a 10K at the end of November I want to do. I think I'll take more time off to just lift and x-train, then start runnning again at the beginning of October.

Congrats to all of you guys on your progress and good luck to those of you with injuries!! Happy trails
indiblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 04:23 PM   #54  

S/C/G: 173/152.2/130

Height: 5’7"

indi, that’s a great goal. i like

3.5 miles tonight. feeling strong of mind!
shasha12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 04:46 PM   #55  

S/C/G: 344/119/116

Height: 5'1"

3 miles at lunch today and a personal best of 33:03. This is the coldest weather I have ever run in - 58 degrees. I was shocked at how much easier it is on the body to run in cool weather. I have been running on my lunch hours, so all summer I've been running in 80-90 degree heat. What a difference!

I HATE to see summer come to an end, but at least it's good for something!
CherryPie99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 04:48 PM   #56  
Katie

S/C/G: 262/257/140

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by shasha12 View Post
hi everyone!!! fell off the running wagon, but I’m back on now. did 5 easy miles last night. felt great, felt strong. Happy to be back

twinmomma, WOW! that’s a lot of miles. how inspiring!
WOW!!! I can't wait until I have an easy 5 miles... LOL Right now 2 is hard and that's with walking LOL... way to go!!!!
kpenn1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 07:23 PM   #57  
one pound at a time

S/C/G: 222/in progress/115

Height: 5'3"

i'll admit it-- i've become a running addict. i love how easy it is and how accomplished i feel after i'm done-- even though i'm covered with sweat. plus, i love how many calories it burns in so little time... i'm training for a 10k right now after just finishing couch to 5k. i've done 3 miles twice this week and am going to stretch it to 3.5 miles on saturday-- i'm excited!

do you guys take rest days?
jayohwhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 12:09 AM   #58  
Closet health nut!

S/C/G: S268/C170s/G140s

Height: Officially 5'-6"

Rest days from running or rest days from exercise? I run 4 days, cross train 3 days, so yes I take rest days from running but not from exercise unless in feeling very run down or sick.

5 miles of intervals today, I did really good, for me. I haven't had a chance to check my stats from my Garmin, but I was in the 8 minute area going uphill and that was exciting. The hill to my house is always at the end of my steady state runs and I have trouble staying the 10 min area going up it. It's about a mile and a half hill so it's a beast. It kills my splits every time and screws up my average pace.

8-10 miles Sunday, then next week training for my next half starts. It's kinda an unofficial training. I'm thinking about running the Las Vegas Rock n Roll half in December, but it's my hubby's birthday so we're not 100% comitted to the idea of spending that weekend in Vegas. It's not a big deal either way, I'm at a point where I'm always about 4 weeks out from being half marathon ready so if we go we go, if not no big deal.

Have a great weekend everyone!
ncuneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 08:30 AM   #59  

S/C/G: 163/145/125

Height: 5'3"

I have logged 17.5 miles this week over 4 runs, but apparently pushed too hard because I have a raging case of shin splints :-( I guess I will have to take the week off from running and just focus on cross training and walk. I hate feeling like I am going backwards. I have my first half marathon December 6 and want to be ready, but it is frustrating not making the kind of progress I want to. On a positive note, I did set 2 pr's this week, running 4 miles at an average pace of 11.36, and doing my longest run to date of 7 miles (hence the Shinsplints). One step forward, two steps back.
hdallas78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 07:06 PM   #60  
learning maintenance

S/C/G: 159/120/118

Height: 5' 3.5"

i seem to be turning into a very lazy runner and i can't decide whether this bothers me or not.

i really enjoy running - but there it is, i do it because i enjoy it and to burn a few calories, therefore recently i haven't been interested in going fast.

my favourite run is the long one, preferably cross-country trail stuff, but again i'm getting lazier and just walking up a lot of the hills that i used to run up.

i suppose if i'm writing all this, then it is bothering me at some level, on the other hand every time i've tried to improve my speed historically it's always ended in injury (itbs, shins, hips!!), so i'm not really built for it either.

is anyone else like this? Should i pick a race and do some more focused training for it, or is it ok to carry on being lazy?!?!
ange82much is offline   Reply With Quote