Fear of loose skin holding me back?!

• Hi everyone!

I lost a lot of weight in the past 3 years, but have been stuck for almost a year now and even gained back some (12lbs).

Part of this is my own laziness and the fact that I'm overeating again sometimes, but part of it is also my fear that my skin will get even more loose

I have granny-arms and terribly wobbly thighs and I hate it to such a degree that I'd rather have a heatstroke than wear shorts.

I worked out for a while but I didn't see results fast enough, so I just lost motivation again.

I didn't work out during the time that I was losing the majority of my weight, so I'm afraid I'll have to live with this forever or get surgery (which I don't want).

Will working out help tighten my skin even afterwards? It's not THAT bad, but I have very soft/wobbly parts on my arms, stomach and thighs, where I can pull the skin, but it doesn't feel quite "empty".

I know this might be a stupid question and that I should work out anyway, but I'm just afraid that I'll be stuck with this whether I work out or not
  • From what I have read about loose skin if you lose weight at a slow pace and exercise it will tighten back up. Even with loose skin being healthy will be more important. Be proud of yourself for losing weight!
  • First off, congrats on your weight loss! Good for you for maintaining that well for 3 years, a 12lbs gain is not that big and you can lose it again!

As to working out. Look into lifting, even if it doesn't fix all of your loose skin problems it will restructure your body to help you look a lot smaller and give you places to distract the eye from any loose skin issues.

There's nothing you can do now about not working out while losing weight so I'd put your worrying about that aside (why worry if you can't do anything about it?). Instead, focus on what you CAN do now. You can start exercising now and work on losing those last 12lbs. You can lift weights and help shape up your body more and you can check in regularly to 3FC to keep yourself accountable during this time.

Good luck and good for you for catching the gain so early on!