Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 08-23-2011, 09:53 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 218/207/155

Height: 5'7"

Question Heart rate monitor / calorie counter

I've been reading the forum and the net the past couple days because I'm interested in getting a monitor/counter. I was wondering what type you all have here? I'm looking for something that is of course accurate, monitors heart rate and possibly beeps if I go abover or below range and tells me how many calories I've burned.

That said, I have a couple more questions.....

Do all monitors have the strap that you wear around you chest?
Do you enter your weight to get an accurate calorie count (or is this determined from heart rate?)

TIA!
mammasita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 11:37 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 252/215/150

Height: 5'10

I run outside and use a The most basic Polar model with a strap.

I struggle with pacing myself and going out too fast. The HRM helps me pace myself and get the most out of my workout. I literally feel naked trying to run without it. The HRM tells me my HR and average HR of my workout and thats really all I need.

Mine does not count calories. I'm no expert but I think most exercise machines that tell you calories and stuff are way off. Unless you are doing some serious Michael Phelps type exercising, don't change your calories to accomidate working out. Losing weight is 99.9% diet, the exercise just helps you get more fit.

Last edited by Scarlett; 08-23-2011 at 11:38 AM.
Scarlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 11:50 AM   #3  
Workin' It

I had a Polar FT60 for about three years and wore it right out with almost daily use, now I have an FT80. I love it, loved the other one as well. It counts calories - you do input your age, gender and weight and it uses that info for the basic formula. It does use a chest strap.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 12:08 PM   #4  
I am in control.

Height: 5'9

I have the New Balance N4 heart rate monitor and I really like it! I got it at Target after doing quite a bit of research on HRMs. It beeps when you go below and/or above the range you choose, and it also counts calories. It also has a chest strap which I thought would be super weird, but I don't even notice it.
Emme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 12:24 PM   #5  
Up.Forward.Higher.Always.

S/C/G: 235/ticker/130's

Height: 5' 5"

I have a Polar one now with a chest strap. I don't know the exact model, but it does give me a calorie count. You set it up with your age/weight and since it's getting constant HR info, I think it is a LOT more accurate than machines at the gym. Of course, nothing is perfect, but I feel like it gives me a good ballpark.

I had one before that didn't have the chest strap and you had to touch it to have it take your HR. It was less expensive and I thought it would be less hassle, but turned out to be so annoying! When I wasn't standing still, it had a really hard time reading my HR. It also started seriously malfunctioning (I'd take my HR and it'd say 47, then I'd take it 10 seconds later and said 189...really?!). So I'd say that investing in a good quality one with a chest strap is probably a good idea.

I like to know my HR when I run because like others have said, it helps me pace myself. It also tells me when I'm taking it too easy on myself . It also has stop watch and other features that can be helpful.
tuende is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 09:29 PM   #6  
Closet health nut!

S/C/G: S268/C170s/G140s

Height: Officially 5'-6"

Just got a fancy smancy Garmin Forerunner 405cx (it's mainly for running and cycling) and I LOVE it, for so many other reasons than the HRM. But yes an accurate heart rater monitor should go around your chest and you should need to enter your stats for the most accurate information.
ncuneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 02:11 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 236/ticker/125

Height: 5'2"

I just bought a heart rate monitor. Mine is the Sportline Duo 1010.
I love it already! Used it once at the gym (cardio and strength) and I was surprise with the calories/fat burned it showed!

Anyway, this one has a chest strap and the touch feature (you touch anywhere in the metalic frame and it gives you a read). The inputs are gender, height, weight and year of birth. It gives the heart rate and the percentage to MHR. It also shows time below, in and above target zone (which you can set up manually - it beeps whenever you go outside of the zone), calories and grams of fat consumed during the workout, maximum and average heart rate (Can you tell I'm in love?)

I'm still wondering if it's accurate to say I burned 1019 calories during my 2 hour session at the gym yesterday! o.O
thaisccs is offline   Reply With Quote