Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 08-07-2011, 01:12 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 203/147.8/135

Height: 5'4''

Default Anyone have hiking experience??

SO, I'm trying to train for a 10 mile hike that I will be participating in at the beginning of September. The difficulty level isn't so bad. It's about a 2 out of 5. I've never really been a hiker, but as I'm losing weight and becoming more active I'm finding that I want to do those types of things!!

We're going to the Grand Canyon and the hike is to our campsite. I don't really need advice on supplies. I have all that taken care of, but I do need advice on how to train for this. I have a weak right knee also, so I'm a little nervous. Should I use trekking poles or wear a knee brace??

I walked 3 miles on the treadmill at a 5% incline tonight and I'm surprised that my knee doesn't really hurt. I'll be packing some 800 mg ibuprofen for the trip as well haha. Should I keep doing this or should I get out on some trails. I'm in Houston so it's not really very hilly. Anyway, any advice would be much appreciated!
Sunshinenmysoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 08:11 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 249.4/247.4/140

Height: 5'6"

Yes, use treking poles... I got some a couple years ago and it has made a whole bunch of difference when walking on any kind of unlevel ground, and offers some support.

Since your hike is so near, I would also wear a knee brace, even while training. If you throw out your knee now or in the upcoming few weeks... it could offset your hike. As I got into shape though... started walking first, then lots of hiking, then running, my knees strengthened and I no longer have to wear the brace.

Up your mileage slowly to prepare. Walk daily at least a couple miles, but up the mileage each week... I would suggest something like this for a months training plan... if the hike were in exactly 4 weeks or so... you can edit to your preference, but that's just how I would do it.
3,3,4,3,3,4, rest
4,5,4,4,5,4, rest
4,6,4,3,5,4, rest
4,8,4,3,1,rest, hike!

Make sure you stretch well after your practice walks to avoid shin splints and other related injuries.

Edit:... and if you're going to be carrying a heavy backpack keep that in mind, load it up, and carry it on some of your daily walks!

Last edited by Mama Bee; 08-07-2011 at 08:12 AM.
Mama Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 10:20 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 310/288/235

Height: 5'9"

I absolutely love going hiking. My knees give me problems as well so I use poles and knee braces while hiking. Where I go on the weekends is about a 3 out of 5.if I can survive you roil be just fine. We did roughly 10 miles last week and while I never thought I would make it, I surprised myself. Just stay well hydrated and post lots of pictures!
I was so nervous the first time I went hiking.... Now I'm addicted!! So be ready to want to go weekly.
mhill0823 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 11:38 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 290/ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

Last time I summited, I trained on 10-15% incline, and I found the actual trail much easier. I would suggest pushing yourself up to this level with time, and you should find the hiking experience more enjoyable.

Last edited by kelly315; 08-07-2011 at 11:38 AM.
kelly315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 01:46 PM   #5  

Thanks for all the advice!! It's about exactly a month away, so the month long training plan will work perfectly. I'm going to try that out and will definitely start wearing my knee brace now. I read that the poles make it easier on your knees and back, but I just wanted to make sure. I'm going to buy some of those today then!

I've always been afraid of walking/running and I've let my injuries and knee troubles keep me from doing things I really want to do. Not anymore! I'm going to conquer this, knee troubles or not! I'll start posting my training and how my knee is feeling after.

Like I said, I'm REALLY surprised that after walking last night it's not hurting. That must mean that all the other exercise I've been doing has already been strengthening it without my knowledge. Yippee! I didn't walk very fast. I was at 2.8-3.0 mph, but that's ok. I don't expect to be power walking this hike anyway.
Old 08-07-2011, 01:51 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 310/288/235

Height: 5'9"

You will do great!!! But no joke we must see pictures!! I bet it is beautiful there!!!!
mhill0823 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 01:55 PM   #7  

Oh my goodness yes. There will be TONS of pictures!! I'm so excited already. The end of the hike has waterfalls you can swim in...it's going to be ridiculous.
Old 08-07-2011, 02:14 PM   #8  
Pinup extraordinaire!

S/C/G: 273/232.4/165

Height: 5'8"

As everyone else said, I would use both. Good luck and have a blast!
tessendicott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 11:29 AM   #9  

Just wanted to update everyone that the hike went well! I did get tired, me knee did hurt, but I made it the entire 10 miles and it was so beautiful/amazing! I would do it again an wouldn't trade the experience for anything! So glad I have come so far in my fitness and weight loss that I could accomplish this! Thanks for the help and encouragement!
Old 10-08-2011, 05:22 PM   #10  
Sufferer of abibliophobia

S/C/G: 206/ticker/150

Height: 5'7"

Congrats!! Good job!
pockets is offline   Reply With Quote