Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 08-02-2011, 03:33 PM   #1  
Closet health nut!

S/C/G: S268/C170s/G140s

Height: Officially 5'-6"

Default August RUNNING!!!!

Ok...sorry it's late and in all honesty I hesitated because of the other August running/walking/jogging thread...I wasn't sure if we needed two. But I've been doing this thread since January and in honor of those who did it before me here it is!

I'm not sure if we should specialize in something since there is the other thread or not - either way EVERYONE is welcome! I don't care if you run 1/4 of a mile or a marathon, if you're slow or training for speed - we are all runners and we are all here to support each other!

A little mid year recap about me. I've been running since January of 2010 - started around 180 lbs couldn't even run a mile. On August 14th I'll be running my second half marathon and last Sunday I ran my longest run ever of 15 miles!

It was a really good run, everything I wanted it to be. It was hot and humid and I rocked it! I ran out of water but was smart enough to stop in at one of the gatehouses to one of the country clubs and fill up - thank G*d they had water, the first one I stopped at actually didn't. My legs and knees did great and I felt really good the rest of the day.

Unfortunately, at the end of the run I couldn't image running for another 11.2 miles so I've put the full marathon on the shelf for a little while. I think I'll be signing up for the Las Vegas 1/2 Marathon in December - once I stop crying over the $140 reg fee

I hope everyone is enjoying their summer and having some memorable runs - happy running!

Last edited by ncuneo; 08-02-2011 at 03:34 PM.
ncuneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 03:43 PM   #2  

Height: 5'6

I just came back from a much-needed vacation so tomorrow will be my first day back with my running. I'm working toward my goal of 4K in under an hour in the next two months. Can I do it? Stay tuned, lol. I'll report how my first run after a week and a half off went sometime tomorrow. Happy running and stay cool.
fitmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 10:46 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 134/126/under 124

Height: 5'2.5

I think this thread is useful. Running/training brings with it very specific challenges and issues that are different from walking and ambling (which I also love love love as well!). Just like C25K folks get support for that specific activity, straight up running/distance training I think deserves a specific thread

CONGRATS on the 15! I was wondering how that was going.

Fitmom- good luck with your goal! Is it 4K or 4 miles? It says 4K in your post and 4 miles in your sig. I bet it's 4 miles You can do it!

Had a good elliptical and lifting session yesterday. Trying to keep my heart in some short of shape for when I start running again. Foot is doing well.

Question: the length of the last run I did before I took a hiatus for my foot was about 6K. I was running around 20K per week before this latest injury. Can I start back at 6K per run and increase mileage at a 10%/week rate? Or should I start lower and increase more conservatively?

Last edited by indiblue; 08-02-2011 at 10:55 PM.
indiblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 01:11 AM   #4  
I'm a SWIMMER!

S/C/G: 209.4/149.2/150

Height: 5'9

Ncuneo - Way to GOoooooo on your 15 miler...I knew you could do it! Woot! You sooooo encourage me...you are a warrior princess and Zena should LOOK OUT!

Fitmom - Welcome back...I've been on a running vacation for about 4 weeks...

Indiblue - Glad to see your keep up with the cardio...but no worries. I just took a 4 week break from running to give my left knee a break. I just went swimming regularly, but that's it. My run today went GREAT...like I never left it...so hope that encourages you. It's surprising but you don't lose your running stamina quite that easy. Feel better.

Ok...so I'm finally glad to report that I could not stand it anymore..I had to run. I was a little scared (I must admit) because I didn't know if I had lost stamina. It would have broken my heart if I could no longer run 5 miles. Well happy to report...I ran 5.4 miles in 65 mins. That's GREAT time for me...and most importantly, it was a strong run. My form was tight. My lung capacity..GREAT! The last 10 mins my thighs were screaming (yelp!), but that's ok...me likey...that means they're getting leaner!

Have great runs everybody...Joyful's got her running MOJO back!...WOOT!
joyfulloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 02:50 PM   #5  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

I went for my first run in America yesterday morning. Just over 3 miles in about 40 minutes which is pretty slow, but considering I've been "off" and have slept maybe 4 hours in 3 days, it was OK. As soon as I got home my mom wanted to go for a 3 mile walk and I went to Zumba class in the evening - I already feel my legs firming up!
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 02:54 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 220 Jan '11, 199 Try 2/186/160

Height: 5' 8"

I guess I'll consider myself a runner now
I ran 4 miles last week, but that was on a nice cool indoor track. Ran 3 miles yesterday, but it was hard since the temp was about 10 degrees warmer than I am used to (in my house competing with the 110 degrees it is outside . My time slowed way down and had to walk about 20 seconds after mile 2, but I kept going to at least 3.

Last edited by NTexas; 08-03-2011 at 02:56 PM.
NTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 03:14 PM   #7  
Closet health nut!

Great job everyone! Still recovering from my long run. The 5 miler Moday was tough and so was today's 7. It's all downhill from here though. A bit of a taper then my vacation starts Saturday and my half marathon is the following Sunday. I'm getting excited and hope it won't be too humid (Chicago in August!).

So now I'm trying to decide what I want to do next...and when I might be ready for a full marathon...

Indi - Since you're coming off an injury, I'd go more conservative.

Joy - Awesome!

Krampus - Welcome back!

NT - welcome!
Old 08-03-2011, 04:03 PM   #8  

Height: 5'6

I ran this morning at 6 a.m. and I couldn't believe how cool the weather was - 60 degrees. I've been so used to running in the godawful heat that the cool air was a welcome relief! Well, I started tacking on my mileage. Ran 3.1 miles in 27 minutes. A personal best, if I may toot my own horn...for just a moment, lol. My husband was actually surprised I was home so early from my run. But fast-forward several hours later and I am starting to feel some soreness. I wimped out and took some Advil because my sons wanted me to go to the park so that's what I did. Looking forward to Friday's run to see if I can beat my time. We'll see.

Last edited by fitmom; 08-03-2011 at 04:06 PM.
fitmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 06:31 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 220 Jan '11, 199 Try 2/186/160

2 miles today. This heat is killing me though - running in 80 degrees is much harder than 70 so I had to stop at 2. BTW - the high hasn't been below 100 in over a month (110 today with a low of 84) with no end in sight... I might rethink my Sept 3rd 5K and plan for a much cooler month for my 1st go.

Last edited by NTexas; 08-04-2011 at 06:32 PM.
NTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 06:36 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 220/183/140

Height: 5'4"

NTexas....I'm in NTexas too...so, be careful. This is dangerous heat, as you know.
Tejas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 03:47 PM   #11  
Closet health nut!

So the taper has begun. 4 miles today, 8 on Sunday and then an easy week leading up to the big day (4mi/6mi/3mi). Looking forward to it. It's at the end of my vacation so hopefully that will keep me on track on the food front because nothing screws me for a long run like too much crap in my system. I'll try to check in when I can - have a great week everyone!
Old 08-05-2011, 05:36 PM   #12  

Good Luck NCUNEO - you know you are a runner when your runs and vacations are coordinating.

I am training for 2-4 half marathons this fall until the end of the year. I ran 2 so far this year. One in April and One at the end of June. For those reading the thread this time last year I couldn't run 60 seconds! You all have hope.

I have already signed up for Diva Half marathon in Long Island NY and the rock n roll half in Savannah GA. I am thinking of miami in Dec and Philly in Sept but after the heat and humidity in June I may pass on the Philly one.

So I am slowly building back my mileage. did 4 miles today. I didn't get up early enough to run outside so went mid-day to gym. I had a terrible run which was disappointing because on Wed I ran one of my my best runs ever.

I have also started to do spin classes too as my cross training. I am love with spin. I am hoping that I can start to lose weight again. I lost about 17 pounds the first 3 months I started and now I have stayed here between 150-153 for the last 6 months! I have started to do 30 push ups a day. Maybe the extra exercise will push me pass the impasse.

Last edited by meoc7197; 08-05-2011 at 05:40 PM.
meoc7197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 05:59 PM   #13  
SGeranium

Height: 5"8

meoc: Im in love with spin as well. My spinning love got in the way of my running love for a bit, but I'm building miles back up for a fall half mary.

My dh ran his first ultra this past weekend. Interesting group of people these ultra athletes. We had a blast and he rocked. Very inspiring; not 50 miles of inspiration, but inspiring non the less. Plus of the 250 ish finisher 4 were in their 70's... inspiring no?
SGeranium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 03:23 PM   #14  

I did a 5K this morning. I improved my speed significantly from the one I ran on July 2nd.

Tomorow is my long run. I am actually looking foward to it! I had been so nervous before my last few long runs, but looking back I had no difficulty with them.
envelope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 05:03 PM   #15  

My run today was not a good one. I had a difficult time sleeping last night, and only ended up getting 5.5 hours of sleep. I woke up with a headache...that did not go away during the run. I did not realize I would be so sore from the 5K hill and was sore most of the time. Ran out of water and changed my route to go get more, which took me on a hill at 6.75 miles that I could not jog up, I actually had to walk.
The good news...I finished it and my BMF shows that I burned 1653 calories.
envelope is offline   Reply With Quote