Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 07-28-2011, 08:38 AM   #1  
Up and at 'em...again!

S/C/G: 203.4/170.4/140.0

Height: 5'0"

Default My legs say yes but my lungs say "WTF, lady?!"

I have always wanted to run. Even before I started losing weight. But I figured that at 5'0 and 203 pounds, my weight was standing in the way. (Plus, let's face it, at that weight, I felt self-conscious like whoa.)

Now that I've lost 35 pounds, I figured, "Hey, maybe I'm at the weight now where I can actually handle running!" I walk five days a week and my pace is the next best thing to a run anyway (I've always been a ridiculously fast walker.)

So last night while I was out walking, I decided to try throwing some running into the mix. I knew I wouldn't be able to run for long, mind you, and I had no intention of trying to run a mile the first time, but I still thought I'd give it a try.

Yeah....no. Apparently, even though I think my legs can handle it, my lungs are having none of it. I ran for, like, thirty seconds and when I stopped, I was out of breath like you would not believe.

*sigh* I'm a bit discouraged by it all. I really want to be able to run, so I can kick my workouts up a notch (walking has helped me lose 35 pounds, but I'd love to mix things up a bit, you know?)

Maybe I'm not cut out to be a runner.....
Snoofie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 08:42 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 188/166/135

Height: 5'5"

I was soooo where you are right now...lung wise and all and now I LOVE running...even ran a couple of 5k's this year and last! Gonna find you a link to a training plan that rocked for me...it is actually for people who have never ran and want to become runners...very slow starting but worked great!!! Will post it here when I find it!
Christen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 08:43 AM   #3  

http://running.about.com/od/getstart...getstarted.htm

Let me know if the link works
Old 07-28-2011, 08:48 AM   #4  
Up and at 'em...again!

Yes, the link works! And the program looks great! Thank you. Hopefully this will work. I have a doctor's appointment later today, so I'll get clearance from her before I start.

Thanks again!
Old 07-28-2011, 08:55 AM   #5  

GREAT...I weighed about 178 when I started it and it seemed weird at first, but if you follow it and go as slowly as they say it works! It is also amazing how quickly you will find yourself saying "that was easier than I thought"! You MUST keep me posted on how you like it if you end up giving it a shot...it's where I started and now I run at least 10 miles a week...good luck at the Dr.today too
Old 07-28-2011, 09:05 AM   #6  
hot mama!

S/C/G: 184/149/130

Height: 5'4"

Also look into the Galloway method. It's a great way to start running, and as someone with knee problems, it worked really well for me. GL!
Tanna Banana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 09:16 AM   #7  
Up and at 'em...again!

Thanks Tanna, I'll look into that too! I have degenerative arthritis in my back, so I have to be kind of careful what I take on (which is why I'm headed to the doctor today.)
Old 07-28-2011, 09:23 AM   #8  
I'm Just a Little Crazy

S/C/G: 250/215/170

Height: 5'9"

Slow and steady... like the turtle. That is what I tell myself. Keep doing 30 seconds at a time until you can do 60 seconds... Get sneaks that fit you right.
SCraver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 09:27 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 220/ticker/135

Height: 5'2"

I'm in the same boat as you, but a quite a few pounds behind. I used to be a runner, and I really want to be one again. I've promised myself that I won't start running until I reach 165, because I've tried before and ended up hurting myself. So that's nearly 30 lbs. away. I'm going to keep walking until then, and when I start running, build up slowly.

Good luck! I wish I were in your shoes!
zoodoo613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 10:27 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 189

Height: 5'5

I too have the back issue. I've had good luck running with a light low back brace. But a great way to build indurance is with interval training. Run / walk 2 min each back and forth eventually adding more run time. If at the gym I like to use the treadmill and alternate with steep incline walking and regular walking. Good for building lung strength.
getittogether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 10:58 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 163/137/130-132

Height: 5' 6"

Actually, 30 seconds of running is the perfect start! I did the C25K program. It starts out with 30 second running intervals and nine weeks later has you up to running three miles. When I began, I never thought I would make it to three miles as I felt like I was dying after running for one minute. My legs never gave me any troubles, I was never sore, it was the heart/lungs that took awhile to build up.
aimeebell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 11:22 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 290/ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

Last time I started running I was just under 200lbs, and I totally know how you feel! My heart always felt like it was going to pop out of my chest in protest, if my lungs didn't give out first. I was able to do some spurts of about 20 seconds, and then I'd have to return to a very slow walk to recoup.

Two ways I got over this:
1. Walking as quickly as you can at as high of an incline as you can for as long as you can. Pushing yourself by walking incline definitely increases your cardiovascular ability.

2. Running in short bursts. I didn't care if I had to take the treadmill back to 1mph to recuperate, but I was going to try to run (for atleast a few seconds). This worked very well, and the cool off times between running gradually decreased until I was able to maintain a jog.
kelly315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 11:25 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 206/195/165 (for now)

Height: 5' 2"

I have found that right shoes make all the difference! When I started this journey, I went to a real running store and had them fit me for shoes. I had just recovered from a knee injury (fractured fibula) and was scared to death to do anything! I told them I was not a runner, but wanted good shoes for walking and exercising. These crazy expensive shoes have made a world of difference for me - and I even try to run every now and again.

Good luck to you!
missyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 11:25 AM   #14  
Losing weight - Toning up

S/C/G: 159/128/120

Height: 5'7"

I used to be like you, around 2 months ago.
I've been doing WATP by Leslie 5 miles/hour for around 2 years, so i totally thought I could handle running - at least a mile or so.
But no, after around 30 secs, I was out of breath. And felt very disappointed.

Well at least at that time, I totally understood why running is called high impact while walking is low impact exercise.

But i didn't give up and I've been using c25k to start training to run. And after nearly 2 months (i'm at week 5 right now because I repeated weeks if I don't feel i'm up to next week), I'm proudly to say I can run 10 minutes straight. Even though my pace is slow, but hey at least i'm running ^_^

What i mean is, please don't give up. My legs were never trouble at all, it was also the heart/lungs that held me back - but now with training constantly, it's building up as well.

Annita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 11:43 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 176/173/155

Height: 5'7

I'm going to echo aimeebell and put in a plug for C25K. It's such a great program! It will totally ease you into it!
kariatari is offline   Reply With Quote