Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 08-15-2011, 09:14 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 308/see ticker/147

Height: 5'3"

Default Critique my Workout!

Hi, ladies.

I'm at a plateau and am trying to tweak my workout. I've been running 3-5 days a week. But, I think my body is acclimated to the routine. SO, I'm gearing up to lose 30 pounds by December 30th and need to amp up. Before that, I did P90x 6 days a week. So, I'm trying to shake things up. What do you think? I'd appreciate any suggestions. I plan to work out for 1 hr with a trainer doing weights, plyometrics, etc. I'm going to try to up cals to 1800 to support the workout.

Monday-Weightlifting with Trainer; HIIT Turbofire
Tuesday-Bootcamp class
Wednesday-Weightlifting with Trainer; Run
Thursday-Bootcamp class
Friday-Weightlifting with Trainer(morning); Bootcamp class
Saturday-Run/Walk or Turbofire
Sunday-Rest (Run/Walk)
poeticmuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 09:49 AM   #2  
Closet health nut!

S/C/G: S268/C170s/G140s

Height: Officially 5'-6"

Well...you're probably overtraining. What do your cals look like?

ETA: also how much are you running?

Last edited by ncuneo; 08-15-2011 at 09:50 AM.
ncuneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 10:15 AM   #3  
ddc
getting back to 140

S/C/G: 155/154.2/140

Height: 5'7"

What are your calories now?
I would try that workout schedule, but not increase calorie consumption.....unless you're way too low now.

Or don't do the cardio on the strength days.
I'd cut exercise before upping calories.

Last edited by ddc; 08-15-2011 at 10:16 AM.
ddc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 10:49 AM   #4  

I'm only jogging about 4 miles 3 days a week. But, want to reduce to maybe 1-2 days a week and include other cardio. I run pretty slow. My cals were around 1200-1400 cals (avg 1300). So, I thought I should increase as that might be why I'm not losing anymore. According to my Bodybugg, I burn around 3150 cals on workout days. So, I'm trying to eat more to compensate (only a 1,000 cal deficit). So, I'm going to start with 1600-1800 to see what happens and adjust.

I can drop the Wednesday run and the Friday bootcamp. Also, I can do a "light" walk on Sunday.
Old 08-15-2011, 11:20 AM   #5  
ddc
getting back to 140

Personally, I don't think eating more is conducive to weight loss. I don't eat back calories burned by exercise either.

What does your trainer think????
Old 08-15-2011, 12:31 PM   #6  
On the slow track.

S/C/G: 210/ticker/160

Height: 5'9

I disagree with ddc on this one. I prefer to exercise more and eat more to keep the whole machine cranking along furiously. It always works for me.

I do agree with the overtraining comment. I'd cut the boot camp altogether and stick with cardio (running or you could ride the bike, swim, etc) on Tuesday and Thursdays. You want to give your body heaps of time to recover from the weight training. Otherwise, it looks good!
DietVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 12:38 PM   #7  

I personally think it's too high for me. But, according to the trainer, I won't have enough fuel to do my workouts. I'm close to 250. So, 2200 cals is maintenance for me. If I have a 500 food decifit, that would put me at 1700, plus 500 cal from working out (use my Bodybugg to measure). It isn't always this simple. So, I'm going to up my cals slightly for a week and see what happens. I'm just SOOO tired of losing the same 5 pounds for the last 4 months and need to get things back on track.
Old 08-15-2011, 02:09 PM   #8  
ddc
getting back to 140

Well, all you can do is try it and see.
If the scale goes in the wrong direction, then you can change it.

Good luck
Old 08-15-2011, 03:05 PM   #9  
Tellin' it like it is!

S/C/G: RESTART:153.5/147/135

Height: 5'4"

YOURE DEFINITELY OVERTRAINING.
i wouldnt drop your cals anymore, but i would ease up on the training.. there is no reason to be doing 2 workouts a day...... and "running for fatloss" is not optimal, unless you are eating to support your recovery, which you arent.... i definitely do no t think UPPING your cals is the answer, either... your body has probably already adapted, metabolically, to this amount..... which is why the stall.. now, if you were in your first couple weeks of dieting/working out, than upping would be something to consider, but not at this point. HIIT also is only for those who are eating anough to to aid in recovery...... those are the two things that need to go IMHO. i think your at loss has stalled because your body is too stressed, from the low cals and too much exercise...... if you want to keep losing fat, i suggest nix the exercise. Since i know you WONT nix the exercise, than you HAVE to scale back... or you will keep on spinning your wheels.. also, do you actually HAVE a rest day? It says "sunday, rest (walk/run)" that doesnt sound like a rest to me

when was the last time you took a diet/training break?
a full week off of training and eating at or above maintenance... you may need to do this if its been a long time (more than 12 weeks) to reset some of your falling hormone levels.....

And, <sigh> the BodyBugg...... so many think it is the gospel truth , and for SOME, it really iss very close to accurate. These are people without a history of dieting, and overtraining, who have a metabolism that falls within the standard algorithm used on the bodybugg.. yes, you heard me.. the body bugg uses and algorithm, just like every BMI calculator on the internet. the only thing it is useful for, for those of us with any metabolic adaptation issues, is to track general MOVEMENT throughout the day... but a pedometer cvould do that for 10 dollars. Your Body Bugg is wrong. You are not burning 3K cals a day.

*** My ADVICE**** take 1 week completely off from training and focus SOLELY on your diet, which is what fat loss is about, 100%. Are you WEIGHING YOUR FOOD? Every BITE LICK AND TASTE? no GUESSTIMATING or eyeballing ANYTHING.... if you have 3 peanut M&Ms from your coo-workers candy dish, thats 21 cals...... KWIM?
I will guarantee, if you take ONE FULL WEEK OFF from exercise (ALL OF IT) no personal training, no running, no weightlifting, and make sure you are hitting a calorie defict... you will see the scale move again.

Last edited by mkroyer; 08-15-2011 at 03:08 PM.
mkroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 03:09 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 268/181/160

Height: 5'6

When I upped my cals, after having stalled to losing 1-2 pounds per month for the last few months, I lost like 10 pounds within the next few weeks, andhave lost 20 since. It's been about a month-month 1/2 since then. I run 2-3 times per week, 3-6 miles (short, medium and long range in those terms for me for now), and do kettlebells other days. If you're working out most days, you probably need more calories than 1400 for a 250 pound woman.
fatferretfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 05:25 PM   #11  
Running for my life

S/C/G: 240/140

Height: 5'6"

I agree with mkroyer (based on what has worked for me, ONLY). I know nothing in terms of being a trainer/teacher/professional. I can only tell you what worked for me, and hey, it might work for you.

I also think you are overtraining. Several times throughout the year that it took me to lose my weight, I took a break from exercising. Took a week off and didn't do any "structured" exercise. No running, weightlifting, cross training, bike riding, NOTHING. I would have never believed it either, until I tried it, but every single time I took a break, I lost significant weight in that week. Like 5 lbs., compared to crawling along at .5 lbs a week prior to that. Then, in the following week, when you return to exercising, set out on a new plan. It has to be something you can execute for a lifetime, so keep that in mind. Best wishes!!
milmin2043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 06:29 PM   #12  

I really respect your work ethic, poeticmuz, but i'm worried you're going to hurt yourself with that sortof regimen. There is such a thing as too much of a good thing, after all.
AlmostMDRiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 07:38 PM   #13  

thanks, ladies.

I thought this was my next step (upping workouts) as I've been stuck for months. I weigh my food and account for all calories. I was running/walking 3-4 days a week and wasn't losing. So, I thought I wasn't training hard enough. I wasn't supposed to start my bootcamp until Monday. So, I can easily drop it.

Ironically, I've been taking it easy for the last week and a half and have dropped 3 pounds. I thought my sodium was too high. But, now that I think about it, I've only been working out 2 days a week for the last 2 weeks. Also, this is probably why I lost more weight doing just P90x as I wasn't running. So, I won't up my cals and I'll reduce my workouts. I'm willing to try anything to get back on track!

Thanks again! You ladies rock! I hope that I'm half as successful!

Last edited by poeticmuz; 08-15-2011 at 07:40 PM.