Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 08-24-2012, 06:51 PM   #1  
Back to being healthy

S/C/G: 245/see ticker/175

Height: 5'8'

Default Anyone use protein powder/whey protein?

I am starting strength training. Not heavy lifting yet. I want to get to around 200 before I venture there. I am trying to get my protein above 100gm a day. I am thinking of adding some whey protein to keep it up especially on strength training days. Any advice is appeciated.
Lishar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 10:23 PM   #2  
Losing the baby weight

S/C/G: 224/183/140

Height: 5"4

I suggest starting to lift heavy now, it will benefit you in the long run! It will give you lean muscle and help you burn fat faster.

That being said, I do have a protein shake as a recovery drink after my work outs. It will help with your muscles repairing themselves.

Check out New Rules of Lifting for Women, it will explain a lot and it's a good program for beginners. I'm doing it right now and in 3 weeks I've lost a inch off my hips, 2 off my waist and a half inch off my chest even though I've been bouncing around the same 2 lbs.
StephanieM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 01:03 AM   #3  
Back to being healthy

S/C/G: 245/see ticker/175

Height: 5'8'

I just started increasing my calories. I am lifting just not heavy as yet. 10-12lb bar bell Seated shoulder press. I am using activtrax right now. I plan on moving up to new rules as I can lift more.

I need more protein and the whey powder might be the key.

Last edited by Lishar; 08-26-2012 at 01:03 AM.
Lishar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 01:28 PM   #4  
Optimistic cynic

S/C/G: 220/209/180

Height: 5'3"

I use the vanilla powder from CVS and add it to Crystal Light raspberry lemonade - pretty tasty.
Steph7409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 01:59 PM   #5  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Try to find a local cheesemaker (some online shops also sell it). The product is much, much better and much less expensive.

With commercial brands you're paying for their advertising and the recognition factor of the brand, but the cheesemaker products taste and dissolve much better, in my opinion.

Regardless of where you find you protein powder, I'd highly recommend an undenatured whey protein isolate (meaning the milk was not heated to as high a temperature), because they dissolve much better.

I had never had undenatured whey protein isolate until I bought some from a local cheesemaker (I had been buying it from a cheesemaker about an hour from our home. It was also a superior product, and blended better than any other whey protein I had used before, until I found the undenatured protein closer to home. I didn't know the difference when I bought it, but I did when I used it.

Undenatured whey protein dissolves amazingly well, and the flavor is barely there, only a hint of milkiness. I never was able to stand whey protein dissolved in water or juice, but this stuff I literally can drink just dissolved in water... no clumpiness or strong protein flavor (I usually add a half packet of Crystal Light).

Another tip, if the cheesemaker has a retail store and an online store, visit the actual brick and mortar store if you can, the prices are often much lower in the brick and mortar stores (their online products generally are more competetive with the name brands, and sometimes even MORE expensive than the name brands).

I never minded denatured whey protein (in fact I didn't even know there was anything else) blended into milk, but the undenatured dissolves and tastes so much better (and supposedly it's also a superior protein source. I don't know about that, but it definitely tastes and dissolves better).
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 03:43 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 158/158/125

Height: 5'4

I seriously eat protein powder SO much. It's a huge part of my life and I love it. I have incorporated it into a LOT of recipes too.
sensualappeal is offline   Reply With Quote