Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 07-14-2011, 12:25 PM   #1  
small plates small bites

S/C/G: 187/135.9/135

Height: 5'6"

Default RUNNERS: Please Help!

Hi all--many thanks for the inspiration and tips I've already learned through various threads in this forum. I come to you now in need of advice!

I am typically an early morning runner for scheduling and climate control reasons. When I run in the mornings, I typically have some water and cup of coffee before I run. After exercising, I get ready for work, drink more water, and then walk to the office (this takes about 35 minutes, as the walk is a bit over 2 miles).

Sometimes, though, I can't drag my butt out of bed in the morning and plan to run in the afternoons. Typically this happens at around 4 or 5pm, after getting off work. I run the same route, same pace, etc. I've typically eaten lunch well before my run, usually around noon or so.

The issue is this: whenever I run in the afternoons, whether after a work day or on a weekend when my eating may not have been at the exact "lunch hour" I feel sick after working out. This is not a temperature thing, as it's happened in the winter and summer.
The feeling is not exactly like nausea, though it is close. It feels like I need to burp but can't, like my stomach is clenched and can't relax. I've never thrown up, but if I try to drink water or eat anything it gets worse. This typically happens for about an hour after I run, and then I'm fine.

What gives? I want to be able to run in the afternoons, as sometimes it frees up my mornings, but not if I spend an hour having to pace around my apartment and pray for the feeling to go away.

I should add that the feeling improves if I do manage to make myself burp, or if I walk around/ bounce up and down. Sitting still is NOT a good thing during this time period.

Any ideas? I thought it might be because I drank water too quickly after running in the afternoons (I drink less in the mornings right after as I am typically rushing around getting ready for work) or that maybe I don't have the problem in the mornings because the walk to work keeps me from feeling that way....

but I know most people can exercise at various times of day, and I don't get why I'm so odd!

Thanks for any ideas:
TapasLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 12:55 PM   #2  
I'm a SWIMMER!

S/C/G: 209.4/149.2/150

Height: 5'9

I MUST eat before I run. I tried running on empty stomach and got dizzy and naseaus. Maybe try eating a banana and some yogart 1-2 hours before your run.
joyfulloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 02:24 PM   #3  

Not a solution, but what happens if you take a gas pill (gas-x) before your afternoon run? Are you somewhere outdoors where it's okay to, erm, fart at will? Or maybe try maalox or alka-seltzer or baking soda in water or similar, esp if you're not worried about runners trots.

Eating at noon with a 4 o'clock run sounds really reasonable to me, FWIW.
MariaMaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 04:59 PM   #4  

Height: 5'6

If I run early in the morning like before 6 a.m., I'll run on an empty stomach and eat when I get back. If it's anywhere past that time, I'll eat a small banana before I run and that tides me over until I return. I only run like 30 - 40 minutes so that could be why I can exist on little to no food. If I ran for say 2 hours, a small meal with fruit and protein would be in order.
fitmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 02:47 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 134/126/under 124

Height: 5'2.5

Maybe acid-reflux related? Especially because you're burping that's what immediately came to my mind. Are you eating high-acid foods?

Personally I prefer to run on an empty stomach (only coffee) if I'm running up to 45 minutes. More than 45 and I eat a banana + peanut butter 1/2 hours beforehand, or about 50 cals of sugar/carbs within 30 mins. (Though I think this is more psychological than anything!)
indiblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 10:17 AM   #6  
small plates small bites

S/C/G: 187/135.9/135

Height: 5'6"

Thanks all for the help!

I agree that its likely some sort of issue with food/ drink combinations and timing beforehand. I'll just have to experiment a bit with eating closer to the runs, or farther from them, or changing up what I eat.

Or perhaps I'm just destined to run as the sun rises.

Happy trails to all as we pound the pavement!
TapasLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 10:27 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 214/211/150

Height: 5'5"

If you live in Manhatten, then most trainers would advise not to run in the afternoon when the pollution (traffic) and pollen is the highest, it will effect your breathing which in turn effects your digestive system. You are much better off running in the am or on a tread mill. good luck
Bellamack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 10:46 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 110/105

Height: 5'2

I agree you just have to see what works for you. I usually ALWAYS run in the morning around 5:30am. I wake up, throw on the clothes and head out the door. Even if I am running 8-10 miles. I never eat before hand, just drink a few oz of water and wear my hydration belt (though I almost NEVER drink on my runs, but I GUZZLE the water down right when I stop) =)
Hope yo ucan get it figured out!
rawbanana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 11:30 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 238/223/130

Height: 5'4"

Hmmmm... I sometimes feel lightheaded or nauseous, or just "off" if I exercise after work and haven't had enough to eat. I think you're on the right track with experimenting with food and water. Hope it gets better!
eyre13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 11:45 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 162/129/120

Height: 5'6''... and a half

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyfulloser View Post
I MUST eat before I run. I tried running on empty stomach and got dizzy and naseaus. Maybe try eating a banana and some yogart 1-2 hours before your run.
This was my first thought... you could also try a protein shake or something an hour or two before you run in the afternoon, especially if you aren't feeling "hungry".
EricAnn is offline   Reply With Quote