Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 07-10-2011, 07:29 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 155/134/120

Height: 5'2"

Smile Anyone else exercise with their dog?

I go hiking several days a week, but I also like more relaxing exercise as well. There's a city forest about 15 minutes from my house with miles of trails. It's great to exercise outside, but what I really love about it is how much my dog loves it. Every time I tell her that we're going to the woods later, it's like she actually understands and she's just waiting for the moment we get to the car. Luckily she's a good dog and I can let her off the leash, and she just runs and runs but always comes back to me. Even if I'm not in the mood to go for a walk, I think about how much my dog loves going out and how much I love that she loves it. It's great motivation to go walking for even an hour!

Anyone else like to exercise with their dog? If you do have a dog and can exercise with it, I definitely recommend it!
Zoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 09:11 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 310/288/235

Height: 5'9"

My pup always goes walking walking with me. He makes me feel more safe when I'm out on those trails alone! He also runs me, and when I want to stop because it hurts, he won't Let me!!!
mhill0823 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 09:44 PM   #3  
Restricting my way down..

S/C/G: 213/ticker/160now150!

Height: 5'4"

Hey!

I walk 1 1/2 hours/day minimum w/my Scottie girl. Started 10 years ago w/my first Scottie boy. Now that I foster (all the time) & dog sit (occasionally), I'm walking even more than that. Lemme tell ya, Scotties (and all other terriers) were made to roam the terra (earth) so they appreciate any sign that I might be ready to go for a walk. Those signs might include: putting on shoes, picking up keys, going to the bathroom, fiddling anywhere near the leashes, going into the kitchen. Amazing how in-tune they are!

Oh, and I appreciate my fantastic calves! I live in a historic town that is famous for being hilly. Since the town has 200+ year old trees, we also do a lot of short sprints for squirrels & other varmint. Builds stamina.

Angela, Lady Morgan, current foster Rona & guest Riley (all Scotties)
ScottieMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 05:05 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 344/119/116

Height: 5'1"

Oh yes, I have 2 Boxers and they are with me all the time. My goal is to run a 5K in September and they will be running with me!
CherryPie99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 12:31 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 155/134/120

Height: 5'2"

Woo go us! And our pooches!
Zoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 12:26 AM   #6  

S/C/G: (HW 330) this time 260/230/175

Height: 5'7"

I foster dogs for a rescue and find that I am WAY more active when I have a foster (we don't have a dog of our own). Dogs are an incredible motivator for me since I know a walk is really good for them (and I know it's good for me to, but for some reason they matter more!). Right now I am dogsitting for a friend and I am walking them in the morning and also in the evening we walk to their house to check the mail. I love dogs, there is no better walking partner!
Jerbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 12:41 AM   #7  
Lindsey Nicole

S/C/G: 285/ticker/160

Height: 5'7

EVERY morning, and my two black labs Maggie and Riley go on our morning walk for about an hour and bout 45 at night. Riley absolutely loves it, Maggie not so much, (only because she's such a princess), but I just had to make sure that I compensated their food intake because they needed to lose a couple pounds, but once they got to their average weight for their size, my vet said I needed to keep a close eye on that just because 1 pound extra on them, is equivalent to 5-7 pounds extra. Just FYI (:
ElleHolla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 12:01 PM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerbs View Post
I foster dogs for a rescue and find that I am WAY more active when I have a foster (we don't have a dog of our own). Dogs are an incredible motivator for me since I know a walk is really good for them (and I know it's good for me to, but for some reason they matter more!). Right now I am dogsitting for a friend and I am walking them in the morning and also in the evening we walk to their house to check the mail. I love dogs, there is no better walking partner!
Awesome! I'm so happy to hear you foster & dogsit w/o having one of your own. Dogs are the ultimate motivators--and they are not meant to not walk!
Old 07-19-2011, 12:04 PM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleHolla View Post
EVERY morning, and my two black labs Maggie and Riley go on our morning walk for about an hour and bout 45 at night. Riley absolutely loves it, Maggie not so much, (only because she's such a princess), but I just had to make sure that I compensated their food intake because they needed to lose a couple pounds, but once they got to their average weight for their size, my vet said I needed to keep a close eye on that just because 1 pound extra on them, is equivalent to 5-7 pounds extra. Just FYI (:
Absolutely right w/the food portions! My girl Morgan is not food motivated so she will not swallow her bowl whole the instant it's on the floor like most dogs will. I put more than her serving in the bowl and she eats on and off for an hour or so; sometimes she eats a 1/4 of it, other times she eats it all.