Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 06-30-2011, 01:41 AM   #1  
Woooo Hooooo :)

S/C/G: 266.8/235/175

Height: 5'6

Default Exercise while sick/recouping?

I have been sick since Saturday and I got some good medication from the doctor on Monday. Heavy duty antibiotics to knock out my sinus infection along with some good sinus/allergy meds. I am feeling mostly back to normal. I figured I would wait until next week to start back up at the gym. Give my body some TLC to help in the healing process.

I was wondering what you all thought about exercise while your sick or recovering.
PBmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 01:50 AM   #2  
Lifelong Alaskan!

S/C/G: 230/180/150

Height: 5'5"

i don't exercise while ill with the exception of my full-time job with children, raising my own kids, and housewifely jobs around our home

with my body, if i stress it out farther with exercise during an illness (even in the recovery time of antibiotics) it will turn into something else...for example, a mild cold will rapidly turn into pneumonia, which has landed me in the emergency room before....that particular time, i thought "oh i'll just boost my body with a light jog" and went jogging while having a cold...it went downhill from there and ended up not being able to hardly breathe within a week...my DH MADE me to go the ER and my lungs had filled up with fluid

so i know that about my own body...however, others aren't like that...some people's bodies may respond favorably to a little "kick in the butt" while sick or recovering...i'm sure others will chime in with different experiences

but that's my experience and how i learned that exercise while sick is just not a great idea for my own body
alaskanlaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 03:13 AM   #3  

Wow! I am glad that your DH made you go in! I have a pretty physical job and even though my plan was to take it easy today I pushed myself a little more then I probably should have. However I AM going to wait until next week to go into the gym and start back up there. I was just curious about what you all thought. Thank you for sharing your story! I will keep that in mind next time I try and push myself to hard. I usually always do and your right. It always ends up worse!
Old 06-30-2011, 03:25 AM   #4  
Baby bump to hot mama!

S/C/G: 250/208.6/150

Height: 5'7

I am experiencing a harsh reminder this week that my body is still recovering. I had a baby 11 weeks ago by emergency c-section and 10 weeks ago was back in the hospital for 5 days with severe pneumonia and pleurisy.

Anyways I have a cold this week- usually I maybe get a runny nose for a couple days paired with a sore throat for a day. This cold has knocked the wind out of my lungs- literally. There is just absolutely no way I'm exercising in this condition, along with the usual caring for my kids, etc.
PacSunMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 01:26 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 197.6/185.2/150

Height: 5'3

I am recovering from a cold right now....started feeling bad on Sunday and ended up taking off half a day from work on Monday and the whole day on Tuesday. I did about 40 minutes of step aerobics Monday morning and this morning. Both times, it kinda made me feel better...moreso today. I was actually able to breathe through my nose while I was exercising. There's not way I could have exercised on Tuesday or Wednesday because I was still physically weak.
Angelique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 05:21 PM   #6  
Lifelong Alaskan!

S/C/G: 230/180/150

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacSunMama View Post
I am experiencing a harsh reminder this week that my body is still recovering. I had a baby 11 weeks ago by emergency c-section and 10 weeks ago was back in the hospital for 5 days with severe pneumonia and pleurisy.

Anyways I have a cold this week- usually I maybe get a runny nose for a couple days paired with a sore throat for a day. This cold has knocked the wind out of my lungs- literally. There is just absolutely no way I'm exercising in this condition, along with the usual caring for my kids, etc.
if you have a hard time breathing with a cold...and you already had pneumonia once not long ago...are you sure it's not a relapse of pneumonia?

i'm just SO paranoid about that now since i've had several bad cases of pneumonia...i also have asthma so i have to be really careful of my lungs...despite the fact that i've never been exposed to a great deal of secondhand anything and have NEVER ever smoked anything, not a cig, not a puff of marijuana, nothing
alaskanlaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 05:45 PM   #7  
Baby bump to hot mama!

S/C/G: 250/208.6/150

Height: 5'7

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskanlaughter View Post
if you have a hard time breathing with a cold...and you already had pneumonia once not long ago...are you sure it's not a relapse of pneumonia?

i'm just SO paranoid about that now since i've had several bad cases of pneumonia...i also have asthma so i have to be really careful of my lungs...despite the fact that i've never been exposed to a great deal of secondhand anything and have NEVER ever smoked anything, not a cig, not a puff of marijuana, nothing
I am pretty sure it's just a junky cold. With my pneumonia, it wasn't productive at all, the fluid in the lung plus the swelling from the pleurisy caused severe pain with every breath I took. So I was literally gasping for air for 3 days until finally a nurse took pity on me and actually got my pain under control instead of just taking the edge off for a few hours at a time. But it was never productive, like I assumed it would be with pneumonia- I didn't have a cough because I couldn't breathe deeply enough- they ended up draining the fluid with a needle and took out over a liter of fluid! Anyways, this is different, but I find when the junky stuff gets caught and I have to breathe "around", if that makes any sense, that's when I feel breathless because I'm getting less air.

I don't know what I'd do if I had a relapse of the pneumonia. It was so scary to be that sick, especially just after an emergency section... I did have 2 follow-up xrays, the last was about 4 weeks after I was discharged from the hospital, and it showed that the fluid was completely gone!
PacSunMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 09:24 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 132/116.6/114

Height: 5'2"

Depends what kind of illness it is.

I've been suffering with a mild dose of flu for the last month/6 weeks and while it hasn't been enough to knock me off my feet it has been a nuisance. I try to listen to my body, if I need a rest day or two then I take it, otherwise if I feel ok then I 'proceed with caution' and try not to overdo it (although the temptation is always there).

Anything bad enough to warrant a trip to the docs or medication then I'd give myself as much time as necessary (sometimes a week or maybe even two without exercising or with only very mild forms of exercise).
Precious Little is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 11:25 AM   #9  
Awesome

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'4"

I take rest days when I'm sick, but if I have a cold, I continue exercising. Exercise tends to alleviate cold symptoms, and I actually feel much better for the duration of my cold if I continue exercising than if I stop altogether.

It's a great way to make my nose run when the pseudophedrine just ain't cuttin' it.
bopbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 12:10 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 310/288/235

Height: 5'9"

I made the mistake of going jogging last night thinking I would feel better....this morning my throat is swollen and I'm super sick....so I now know that tlc is the best option
mhill0823 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 03:58 PM   #11  
Up.Forward.Higher.Always.

S/C/G: 235/ticker/130's

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by bopbot View Post
I take rest days when I'm sick, but if I have a cold, I continue exercising. Exercise tends to alleviate cold symptoms, and I actually feel much better for the duration of my cold if I continue exercising than if I stop altogether.

It's a great way to make my nose run when the pseudophedrine just ain't cuttin' it.
Ditto! If I have aches/fever I'll rest, but if it's just a cold, I'll keep going. I'll pretty much do anything before I take medication and exercising always makes me feel better!
tuende is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 11:36 PM   #12  
Fattie for the Win!

S/C/G: 270/232/140

Height: 5'4"

This is a great thread- I always wondered about exercising while sick. I'd heard you're not supposed to exercise even when you just have a cold, but I'd always felt like I could. I'm glad to see some of you have done so with no dire consequences!
MagdalenaRaela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 01:23 AM   #13  

Well I took last week off and most of this week. Specially with the holiday. I am feeling mostly better however my breathing isnt doing the best. I am itching to get back to the gym. I was concerned that I would actually gain while I was recuperating. Even though it wasnt my weigh in day I snuck on the scale Monday and had lost another 2LBS! Lets see if it stayed off as I will have my official scale day in the morning! hehe

I think I will try to get in tomorrow to the gym but make it a light day. Keeping my inhaler close at all times. We shall see how it goes! I am glad I am not the only one wondering about this stuff.

Usually I am just so hard headed and push thru and it ends up making me even sicker. I tend to go from a sinus infection to sever bronchitis in a short amount of time. Thankfully I think the resting has paid off this time!