Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 06-09-2011, 11:41 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 323/Weight Tracker/150

Height: 5'6"

Default To pilates or not?

Anytime Fitness is offering pilates' class this Sunday for beginners as it's their first class. I've tried pilates in the past, and it left me feeling incredibly miserable and extremely sore. Given, I was about 70lbs heavier when I tried. I'm a little nervous about going to the class, but I'd like to give it a try.

Has anyone taken pilates??? I want to incorporate as much exercise as possible in my week. Every other day just isn't giving me the results I want, even when I do, for the most part eat healthy. Also, I'm not very coordinated, and they offer Zumba afterwords. Think I should give it a shot, even if I do have two left feet?
ShyHeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 11:50 PM   #2  
going somewhere....

S/C/G: 200/see ticker/125

Height: 5'2

I would say try it!!! I did and really enjoy it. I has helped a LOT with my lower back pain, and my hubby likes the flexability I have gotten

Just remember to do what you can, there is always going to be that person who has been doing it for years that can bend like a pretzel. Pilates is one of those things you can do for YEARS and never have mastered, there is always more....

Have Fun!!!
ready4skinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 01:36 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 200 / 180? / 140

Height: 5'4"

I just did pilates for the first time yesterday. I enjoyed it and would definitely consider joining a class. So I say give it a shot. Anyhow, this is class if for beginners, so hopefully you won't have too many pretzel-people showing everyone up.
Ferumbras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 03:13 PM   #4  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

I'm never going to say that I love Pilates, because it's always a stretch for me & nearly every session makes me grunt in pain several times. Also, I make insidious comparisons between myself & some of the more slender women in the class. But, after a year of doing Pilates regularly ... I have abs. For the first time in my life, I have abs. I've been much thinner before than I am now -- my current weight is healthier than it was, years ago, when I was very thin indeed because of an eating disorder -- but I never had abs. Even thin, yes, no abs. But I have them now. (I'll stop ranting here in a minute.) Anyway, they are largely due to Pilates three times a week: Twice a week in class, and once a week all on my own, using what I've learned in class & from the occasional private training session.

As for Zumba, you're braver than I. Years ago, I thought I hated exercise classes. Well, I don't. Turns out the only thing I hate is choreographed routines. Put me in any other kind of class, with no choreography, and I'm good. So I avoid Zumba. And I feel no remorse. I put in lots of gym time & I see no need to do everything. I believe in trying everything but not in adopting everything. So I say try it. So many of my friends at the gym just love it. But they ain't me.

Last edited by saef; 06-10-2011 at 03:13 PM.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 03:39 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 205/167/140

I love pilates. The beginners' class should be great for you. Pilates really teaches you how to control your body thru your breath, it helps me to focus.

Now for zumba, I'm crazy for it. Granted I've had the dvd for only a wk, but I look forward to working out for an hour! It's crazy to say that. I have the music going around in my head and catch myself doing the dance moves throughout the day. But, I'm also doing it in my own home. I think it's great that you're wanting to try something new, sometimes that's all it takes to move the scale a lil bit more. Have fun!
sniperhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 04:08 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 254/233/173

I just tried Pilates for the first time on tuesday. It was a 30 minute workout that is offered on ExerciseTV. As I did the workout, it did not seem too tough. I was able to make it through most of the work out with only a few modifications. But the next day? My body ached in muscles I didn't even know I was working And while sore muscles are not the most pleasant experience, after being sedentary for longer then I'd like to admit, I'm proud that I got though it and I 'm ready for more! And Saef, if 6-12 months from now I discover some abs under my current jelly-belly -WOOHOO!!!!
osaunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 09:28 PM   #7  
Renaissance Woman

S/C/G: 363/306/185

Height: 5'10.5"

I've been doing Pilates for over a year. I am, by far, the biggest student in the class, and the tallest too. I remember my first few weeks in a beginner class, wanting to cry because it was so hard. But the instructor was fabulous, and now she's one of my best friends in town. I am so happy I kept it up.

A year later, I didn't lose any weight, but all my clothes were at least a size too large. I have abs too! My youngest son was so impressed with my progress that he joined me in class two nights a week. I can keep up with most of the class. I am sore almost all the time, but I'm really pushing myself. When I hold back on my effort, I'm not as sore.

I highly recommend it. I hope your trainer is good. I think it makes a difference.
geoblewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 10:47 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 323/Weight Tracker/150

Height: 5'6"

These posts make me eager to start then!! I'll have to rush to the gym from work, but hey, so worth it. I just want this change so bad, and maybe with more exercise, I'll crave more healthier foods because my body will be like, 'Hey, I want that healthier stuff instead of this junk'. I know I ate better the first six months when I did exercise every single day during the work week. So pilates here I come! Thank you everyone for your wonderful input. Good job on the abs =o That's something I'd like to see on me.
ShyHeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 04:51 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 134/126/under 124

Height: 5'2.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShyHeather View Post
These posts make me eager to start then!! I'll have to rush to the gym from work, but hey, so worth it. I just want this change so bad, and maybe with more exercise, I'll crave more healthier foods because my body will be like, 'Hey, I want that healthier stuff instead of this junk'.
I think that's one of the best benefits of exercise- your body feels so strong and able that you can't bear the thought of putting junk in it. I especially feel that way after yoga, since it requires paying keen attention to and focusing on all parts of your body and how it's all interconnected. I'd imagine Pilates would be the same way. Good luck
indiblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 01:36 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 175/ticker/125

Height: 5'3

ive tried pilates as well and i really like it. i wouldnt consider it a hard core cardio workout but it does give you a light stretch and works a lot of the muscles!!! have fun! good luck!
bellaella is offline   Reply With Quote