Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Closed Thread

Old 05-28-2011, 04:50 PM   #31  

S/C/G: 287/242/150

Josey, that is a good question! I have listened audiobooks with my ipod for a past couple of years. We live out of town and the bus ride takes almost an hour so they are great! When I work at computer (I study architecture so I'm at computer A LOT), I listen music from Spotify and I've been addicted to Muse lately, but I quite often listen to movie soundtracks or 80's rock. Or pop. Or heavy metal. Almost everything depending on the mood!
Old 05-28-2011, 04:57 PM   #32  
just do it!

S/C/G: 269/150/150

Height: 5'4"

I just finished the program and I'm running my first 5K race tomorrow. It's a wonderful conditioning program! Follow the program, trust the progression, don't let your mind tell you you can't do it and you'll be successful!
Old 05-29-2011, 12:36 AM   #33  
Running for my life

S/C/G: 240/140

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutt View Post
I just finished the program and I'm running my first 5K race tomorrow. It's a wonderful conditioning program! Follow the program, trust the progression, don't let your mind tell you you can't do it and you'll be successful!
I agree with this 100%. All while you are running, talk to yourself with positive words and phrases. "I can keep going" "I am an athlete" "I am a runner" I am strong and capable" "I can run like the wind" "I love to run"

These may sound corny, but they work. In all of the half marathons I have run they have mile marker signs with positive thoughts about running and keeping on. Seriously, those signs were the greatest. They helped me to finish strong.

Also, to the person who asked about joint injuries-there are tons of tips on how to avoid them on runnersworld.com. They suggest always stretching after a run (when your muscles are already warmed up) and they show you which stretches are most beneficial. Also, don't push yourself to go faster or farther than the program suggests.

Good luck again to you all.

Oh, and peanutt----good luck on your 5k tomorrow!!!! You're going to do great!!! You're an athlete, you're a runner, you can finish strong, I believe in YOU!!!

Last edited by milmin2043; 05-29-2011 at 12:37 AM.
Old 05-29-2011, 03:55 AM   #34  

S/C/G: 287/242/150

Good morning everybody!

I just finished my D1 W1 and I LOVED it!!! I really enjoyed that I could concentrate to run just the 60 seconds and I think it improved my running technique a lot already, because I didn't have to save my energy for subsequent minutes of running. 90 secs was more than enough for me to catch my breath. I will do this from week one, because I think I'll benefit a lot from the interval training rather than jumping to longer runs. However, I think the 5 min walk is too short for warm-up and so I did walk a bit before starting the program and it took me totally 40 min to complete.

My body has remembered how to sweat again!!!! I love it!!!

I just want to add something, in my opinion, if you really start from the couch, have not exercised at all and are in a bad shape, then I would start from just walking. With any speed and length that feels good in the beginning. And then gradually walking longer and faster and trying to run with very very slow speed for a minute or so. And when that feels good and you start craving more, then I would start this. And stretch enough. And if your muscles don't feel warm enough after 5 min (especially if the weather is cool), walk more until your body feels like running. Then it feels so good!!!
Old 05-29-2011, 06:26 AM   #35  

S/C/G: 183/maintaining 135ish

OK, I have a really really dumb question. I am in week umm, four and a half. That is, I am trying to work my way up from running 5 min at a stretch to 20min in a stretch that you do in week 5. Earlier in the year I ran outside some, but now I am doing it on the treadmill because it's really hot here (114 today).

Anyway, on the treadmill, there is an indicator that says "Speed." Is this in minutes to finish a km, or is it km per hour? (metric system here so wouldn't be miles... I assume). Right now I have it set at 5.5 for walk, 8.7 for run which is maybe a bit slower than I run outside but I don't want to fly off the treadmill when my neighbor starts a conversation about the Oprah episode she's watching on the TV.

I read this article in the NYT last week that gives a way to estimate fitness by how fast someone can run a mile (basically faster or slower than 10min/mile), so I'm kind of curious to see what I can do.
Old 05-29-2011, 12:50 PM   #36  

S/C/G: 295/278/160

Height: 5'7

Well, I just got in from D2W1. I could have baled today, it's pissing down rain and I woke up with a super sore back, for some reason. But, I persevered. I went out and ran in the rain. It wasn't wonderful, but at the end, it felt nice and helped keep me cooler. My back feels 100x better now that I have been out and moving, and Day 2 was MUCH easier than Day1 (when I thought I was going to have to repeat Week 1). I feel more hopeful that maybe I DIDN'T bite off more than I can chew.
Old 05-29-2011, 02:43 PM   #37  

S/C/G: 250/242/150

I did Week 1 for the second time today, and will probably do it a third time, getting my speed up a little bit. I used a podcast for the first time, and it really helped not having to keep track of the times!
Old 05-30-2011, 12:24 PM   #38  

S/C/G: 285/211/165

I had to work my way up to W1. At first I could only do a couple of the intervals, and not even close to a minute, so I worked on walking and elliptical until I got my cardiovascular system in better shape. Then I did W1 but with 30 second intervals (I called it Week 0) instead of a minute before actually starting W1. Yesterday I completed W2D1! I am using the treadmill and that works for me - being able to see how much time is LEFT in each interval can be a lifesaver.

I NEVER thought I could run.
Old 05-30-2011, 01:00 PM   #39  
I will never give up.

S/C/G: 160/131.8/110

Height: 5'3.5" Yep, the half matters!

Me! I start today!!
Old 05-30-2011, 03:02 PM   #40  

S/C/G: 155.2/ 133.1 /110

Height: 5'2

I just made a post in the orginial c25k thread saying I need a workout buddy.
This thread is genious.
I'm going to start tomorrow as I've already done my workout for the day.

Just to be clear: are you guys doing the NHS programme?

Last edited by IsabellaOlivia; 05-30-2011 at 03:03 PM.
Old 05-30-2011, 03:26 PM   #41  

S/C/G: 200 / 180? / 140

Height: 5'4"

I use a c25k app that I really like, put out by Bluefin Software, as opposed tot he NHS podcasts.

So today was w1d2 for me. I feel pretty good about it. The halfway point surprised me, which is a good thing! At the beginning, like before, I felt as though I might get a stitch in my side or shin splints, but they didn't actually develop, thankfully. I do, however, need to pay more attention to the weather -- way over-dressed, expecting it to be chilly and possibly rain.

According to the app, I did 2.5 miles, walking at a pace of 16:06/mi and running at 11:10/mi.

Last edited by Ferumbras; 05-30-2011 at 03:27 PM.
Old 05-30-2011, 04:37 PM   #42  

I have no clue what any of that all means...lol I just downloaded some podcast, because it was in MP3 format...and it's been working! LOL
Old 05-31-2011, 11:14 AM   #43  

Height: 5' 8"

Hi All! I did C25K last summer and LOVED it. I never thought I would like jogging, but I do! I just started up again...I stopped running in the winter but am ready to get going again. Tomorow I will do W1D3. I know at times it feels hard to push through and finish the run, but you can do it!!!
Old 05-31-2011, 01:09 PM   #44  

I just completed W1D3. My arthritic knee is a bit bothered (for the first time since I started C25K), and I struggled more today than I did on day 2, but not as much as Day 1. I am not sure if I should repeat Week 1, or if I should try and push through week 2.
Old 05-31-2011, 01:15 PM   #45  
Suck it up, buttercup!

S/C/G: 237/165/165

Height: 5'8"

OhMyDogs, I would start week 2. I only repeat if I don't complete. I thought my goal is not a pretty week x but getting to run for 30 min. straight. If I can't do one day, I'll repeat but not when I made it through. What do you guys think?

I am resting this week I guess. My right leg hurts and I am afraid it is from running. So I figured I will do pilates and weights this week and see how it goes.
Closed Thread