Couple of questions (please help)

• So, I have a few questions. Tonight I went to the local Anytime Fitness here in Bridgeport, and the moment I walked in it felt like a sauna!! I honestly was thinking to myself, "My God, it's cooler outside than it is in here." and just kept going. I was on the elliptical machine for forty-five minutes, and toward the end my heart rate was 6 beats above my target heart rate. So I was wondering if one, that is going to hurt my efforts? Two, could the fact that the gym was all ready so hot have affected my HR at all? It rose quickly and I assumed it was cause your body temp. rising means your heart rate is going to as well. I was able to get it down to 150 in the cool down phase (last five).

Also, is it normal to become gassy during a workout? Like, where you have to burp?? I don't drink water while working out, I don't eat an hour before working out. I give about two hours after eating before I go to the gym, so I'm just curious. Thanks. Oh, and hope I placed this in the right section.
  • Regarding gas:
    I haven't really experienced it personally, but I can imagine that you may be swallowing continuously while you exercise, and that along with saliva you'd be swallowing air as well.
  • In response to your questions,
    1. when you increase your heart rate during a workout--that's typically the goal in cardio--you burn more calories. 6 beats above your target is not that drastic--imo. It would equate to you getting a more intense cardiac workout and thereby burn more calories.
    2. Were you experiencing indigestion? This happens to me often when I do cardio, which is why I began to take an over the counter Zantac and a couple of Tums chewables everyday. Depending on what I have eaten, it makes or breaks my cardiac workout. I can't stand that feeling, and I drink plenty of water before, during, and after cardio.

Hope this helps
  • For #2 = Sometimes all that moving around just sort of works it out of me.
    Yeah - both ends. It is REALLY hard to run on a treadmill and try to hold in gas at the same time.
  • ShyHeather,

Please try to drink before, during, and after your workout. The reason being; as you sweat, you lose fluid (of course), which results in lower blood volume. The lower your blood volume, the faster your heart must beat to continue to get oxygen to your cells at the same rate. It sounds like you were losing a lot of fluid during your workout through sweat, and also just because of the heat in the gym. Keeping well hydrated is essential during workouts.

Awesome job getting to the gym and working out!!
  • Gum with aspertame (sp?) can cause burping.
  • I believe that cardio in general stimulates bodily function...it is very common for people to pass gas or even have to use the bathroom during or after an intense and/or long cardio session. It's not just you.

Good on you for your work in the gym!