Is 90minutes of cardio every other day ok?

• Hey ladies, I have been doing 90 minutes on the treadmill, going 5.25 miles, and burning 730 calories every other day and taking a less intensive walk with my family on the days off. I am 26 years old, 5'0" tall and currently weigh 190 lbs. And I am trying to lose at least 50lbs by the end of August. When I do the 90 minutes, my hips are killing me the next day to the point I can't work out on the treadmill that day so I do it every other day. Do you think I should be doing 60 minutes everyday burning fewer calories or doing 90 minutes every other day and taking a walk with my family the days I don't workout on the treadmill?
  • 90 minutes is a lot of cardio. If you had been doing cardio all along and had worked up to 90 mins - that would be fine, but it sounds like you have just started? That is a recipe for injury. It's one thing to be a little sore the next day, but it sounds like you are in actual pain the next day.

Start smaller - do 30 mins everyday and work your way up. You don't want to injure yourself, b/c that will really put a kink in the exercising.
  • I think 90 minutes is too much. Especially if it's hurting you!!
    I would do 30 minutes per day and do strength training every other day.

You have to think in the long term, not 'I'm trying to lose X amount of pounds by X amount of time'.

Think long term health and fitness. Good luck
  • You'd be better off doing 60 minutes 6 days a week and then not in such pain. You need strength training at least 2 days a week as well to keep muscle.