3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Exercise! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise-34/)
-   -   Does walking really constitute as exercise? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise/233364-does-walking-really-constitute-exercise.html)

meganblaise 05-16-2011 10:55 AM

Does walking really constitute as exercise?

I know walking does wonders for some people but I think I need to step it up because I already do a LOT of walking. I walk miles a day, at a pretty good pace just at my job. (Supervisor at a retail store) I've started a new routine for myself, today. Which I'm going to count calories all week & then next week add on 30 minutes of exercise every other day, the following week hoping to get it to everyday. I need something simple and easy to do at home or around the neighborhood, cardio wise. but I don't think just walking will do the trick and i'm by no means ready for public jogging/running. Do you think up & down my apartment steps would help?

fitness4life 05-16-2011 11:58 AM

The answer to your Q depends on where you're at fitness-wise. If a sedentary person starts walking regular miles, then yes, that is considered exercise. Soon the body adjusts to the increased calorie demands and more exercise and different types of exercise are necessary, though.

Yes, walking up and down the stairs will help! You can make it even more demanding by running the stairs or adding weight to carry on the stairs.

You can also do things like push ups (start with wall push ups, if needed) and planks, squats and lunges to get started.

Good luck!

bellaella 05-16-2011 09:44 PM

Stairs will definitely help! Like fitness4life said, adding weights will help too and I think there are ankle weights you can buy.

Or you can wear heavy clothing!

Marchmallow 05-17-2011 03:01 AM

I think also the type of walking will have differing effects. Walking around your store, for example, won't have the same effect as power walking up-hill. You'll know you're burning serious calories when you're dripping sweat! I say this because I walk 4 miles a day to work and back, and it's mostly uphill and I give it everything I have. :D

Lovely 05-17-2011 03:07 AM

Of course walking is exercise :D

Walking around your store isn't going to have quite the same effect as walking up and down hills. And the pace you walk is going to affect how much it helps, too.

Going up and down your stairs is a great idea, too =)

PopcornGal 05-17-2011 10:43 AM

Yes walking does constitute exercise.

However, it is most effective when keeping your heart rate elevated for several minutes which is probably not happening at your store.

You do not necessarily have to walk a lot of hills for it be effective either though that certainly helps.

I mapped out a mile circuit in my neighborhood. It is a loop that brings me back to my house. That allows me to repeat it as many times as I want.

For example, tonight I am on a time crunch so I will walk it twice. Because I walk a 16 minute mile that will work out to 32 minutes of steady walking keeping my heart rate accelerated. There is one fairly steep hill on that circuit.

Regarding steps, they can be great but watch out for your knees. My knees tend to bother me so I try to back off when that happens.

I incorporate steps into my daily routine. I work on the first floor of a three story building. There are 50 steps up to the third floor. Everytime I need to use the bathroom I take the stairs to and from the third floor. I usually make at least 3 trips to the bathroom which is 150 steps a day.

As stated earlier, the main thing is getting your heart rate elevated.

Good luck.

JohnP 05-17-2011 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PopcornGal (Post 3853545)
Yes walking does constitute exercise.

As stated earlier, the main thing is getting your heart rate elevated.

Absolutley correct.