3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Exercise! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise-34/)
-   -   Creating An Active Lifestyle (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise/233002-creating-active-lifestyle.html)

stacygee 05-11-2011 05:46 PM

Creating An Active Lifestyle

I am really trying to change my life here. As I have lost weight I feel like I have a new lease on life... and I think that I really want to do new and active things. I ran my first 5K and found it to be totally exhilerating... but I just feel at a loss as to what else I can do... This question is coming from someone who spent almost 6 years playing computer games, scrapbooking and watching TV. I consider myself pretty fit right now due to my dedication in the gym. But, I am ready to take it out of the gym.

I want to find something to do as a hobby that is active and athletic (not too expensive) and I can possibly do with my two youg children. Any ideas?

krampus 05-11-2011 09:28 PM

Hiking/nature walks! Are there parks/nature preserves around where you guys can roam and explore? As a kid I really loved going to nature preserves with my mom because there was so much to see and it was exciting to be outside. Exercise-wise it was hardly a workout since I would stop every five minutes to look at a family of baby geese or an interesting flower, but just being outside strolling is much better for you than sitting.

Another idea, maybe you could set up obstacle courses/races in your yard (if you have one) and participate. Jumping through hoops and potato sack jumping definitely gets the adult heart pumping!

Lovely 05-11-2011 11:37 PM

My first thought was hiking/trailing/walking. It's free. You can pack lunches and really just get out and see the world around you.

And if you already have bikes for your kids (don't know how old they are)... biking!

berryblondeboys 05-12-2011 03:10 AM

I'm finding that initially, it's expensive to do. Like, we went out and bought tennis rackets for all of us. We are starting to bike ride too. We walk a lot. Gardening!!!! (Girl, I know you have a huge property!) Swimming, etc. Basically, whatever you can do outdoors, do it!

I know your girls are still young (3 and 7?) So some things will be harder, but there are ways to work it. Like, for me, I am wanting to ride my bike more instead of driving. I live in a community that makes that easier. For kids, there are trail a bikes and trailers - you can often find those on craigslist for lower prices. WHEN I get my bike, I plan to ride to the library, the grocery store and the farmer's market.

You can always rent canoes or kayaks at bigger parks. There are tons of state trails to walk all over the country. Once you get started, you see there is just so many ways to get more active.

belmagick 05-12-2011 03:52 AM

What about mother-child dance classes?

Madkatter 05-13-2011 01:02 AM

I take my son roller-skating every weekend and we swim as much as we can :)