Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 05-11-2011, 07:52 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 230/230/140

Height: 5'6

Default Where to begin?

I have a YMCA membership and yesterday my doctor told me I MUST exercise 30 minutes a day, every day. I could go walk on the treadmill for 30 minutes every day but I want to do something in addition to that, I just don't know what. I'd like to try to use the machines but cant' figure out how and am embarrassed asking for help. Is there a website that gives tutorials on machines? I thought maybe I could learn how to use one or two at a time and ease into it, or maybe find a pre-made work out routine to follow. Any ideas?
KathyinAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 08:58 AM   #2  
Fat Chick on a Mission

S/C/G: 216/ticker/150

Height: 5ft 3in

I did a quick google of "gym machine tutorials" and "exercise equipment tutorials" and found some stuff that is helpful, but in order to get the really specific information you need you kinda have to google the equipment itself, i.e. "elliptical machine" or "brand x abduction machine" tutorials. Even then, lots of this stuff today is digital and requires a knowledge of how the software and settings work also.

My old gym had a 3 day training period that was mandatory before they let you loose on the machines by yourself (for liability, so you didn't get hurt setting weights too high etc). It was SO helpful to have someone walk me through how to adjust each machine to my height and size as well as resistance levels, and I really don't think I could have figured out how to do even half that stuff properly without it.

Your best bet is gonna be to figure out how not to be embarrassed instead of figuring out the machines on your own. Someone knowledgeable will not only keep you safe with proper form and settings but would also be able to recommend the best approach for YOU as an individual. Asking for help is not a weakness, that is what they are there for and your health and wellbeing are much more important than worrying what some strangers think anyway

If you can't bring yourself to ask for help, I would suggest that you do some recon-go for the treadmill but make mental notes as to the brands/types of machines you think you might be interested in trying, so that you can get specific instructions. There will also be lots of folks here willing to explain what they know if they are familiar with that particular type
dragonlady1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 09:12 AM   #3  
Let's salsa!

S/C/G: 208/160/158 for now

Height: 5'9"

Here is a good site for you to learn from: http://www.stumptuous.com/It's for women and for beginners and advanced folks and pretty much anybody who wants to enhance their life by exercise. Lots of good reading, too - I hope the site will encourage you to start.
And don't be shy to ask - that's why there are trainers at the gym and you should be able to get at least a free "orientation session" and shown the machines and what you can do there.

You can do it!
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 12:11 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 279/ticker/200

Height: 5'7

You shouldnt be embarrased. Think of it as your trying to save them money so you dont mess up a machine Online tutorials can be great but hands on is better especially when you have someone to help you. People are there for the same reason as you (fit or not) they are either maintaining, or losing So try not to be embarrased there are no stupid questions!
chase1984 is offline   Reply With Quote