Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 05-03-2011, 05:53 AM   #1  
It's about time

S/C/G: 300/ticker/175

Height: 5'5"

Default Finally bought a bike! Now I just need to ride it...

Hey ladies! I got a bike yesterday (a Felt Cafe 8. I love it!!), but I'm having a hard time working up the courage to ride it. I just moved to one of the country's most bike-friendly cities, and in my experience so far one of the most friendly cities period, but I'm so afraid of being made fun of. Do any of you have advice on how to convince myself to just get out there?

P.S. Here's a picture of the new baby

ParadiseFalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 06:10 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 145/160/120

Height: 5'6

It's a lovely bike! I think the best thing you can do is just start riding it short distances and on quieter routes, I think you'll soon feel confident on it.

My brother bikes most places and he says it's a good experience (And this is near central London ).

I'm sure there's some people who bike on here who can give you better advice and tips though.
serendipity907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 07:47 AM   #3  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

I'm so envious of your bike! And who will care if they see you in a bike! If anything, they'll be thinking, "Good for her for riding her bike instead of driving". Plus, you just plunked down some cash. Want it sitting there collecting dust?

I hope to be getting my bike this month too!
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 04:30 PM   #4  

>GASP< SHE'S BEAUTIFUL!!! I say just jump in and start biking. I'm a bit bigger than you (5'4" and 260), and I've never had anyone say a thing to me (not that it doesn't happen). One thing to consider is, I've heard from female biking friends that they will often get catcalls from men while biking solo or in a group of women, but as soon as even ONE man joins the group, comments from the peanut gallery completely stop. So maybe if you're really nervous you can find a male friend or family member who is willing to get some exercise with you.
Have fun! I know you will! (So jealous ...)
TerraIncognita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 11:10 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 230/210/150

Height: 5'1"

Most people admire people who commute by bike. I get a lot of compliments about my biking to work. I think a lot of people would if they could. Go for it. Yes, there are occasional dumba$$e$ that will make comments. That's with anything. I just wave to them in my special way, and go on. Mostly, people are kind and considerate and motivational. Nice bike, too!
Ursula745 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 12:42 AM   #6  
It's about time

S/C/G: 300/ticker/175

Height: 5'5"

Hey ladies! If any of you check see this thread, I've been riding! I even did a 10-mile "naked" bike ride (I wasn't naked, but most people were) this weekend. I've been riding around town, and no one has said anything
ParadiseFalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 02:01 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 175/167/145

Height: 5' 10"

That's great! Thanks for the follow up. I assume you're in Portland (I am, too). It's a good place to ride a bike, isn't it? I finally got out and did a long ride on Wednesday, and it was so satisfying.
ann71 is offline   Reply With Quote