Did my first 5K today!

• Other than doing the corporate challenge about 10 years ago, this was my first "race". I went in hoping to finish in about 40 minutes since I've been jogging 4.5-4.7 mph on the treadmill. But I actually finished in exactly 35 minutes. There were a few points where it was so crowded I had to walk, and I partially walked up 2 steep hills, so I feel great about my time. I finally went to a running store and had a gait analysis and bought a pair of the shoes they suggested - if anyone has not done this I highly recommended it! I feel like it made a huge difference.

My town has a big 10K in September so I'm going to slowly increase my distance(will try to run 2X/week) until I can do it comfortably, then work on the speed.

So glad I did this!
  • Awesome, and congrats. 5k is no easy feat! You did a great job!
  • Woohoo!! That is awesome!!! How long have you been running for?
  • Great job!
  • Way to go! 35 minutes for your first 5k is a great time! Keep up the good work!
  • I wanted to post a Congrats image, but I am too new.

CONGRATS!!!
  • Congratulations!!
  • Thanks - I started "running" again last fall, and it was so tough I almost gave up. After reading a bunch of stuff online, I decided to slow way down and work on building distance. Unfortunately I skipped some weeks and never got more than one run in a week - I do the elliptical, Zumba, spinning, and body sculpting on the other days. My goal going forward is a minimum of two runs a week.
  • !!! Did you run the Chase Corp Challenge in Central Park? I'm an ex-NYC'r! Anyways I remember what a rough start you had to running...this is HUGE! The even better news is that after you can run a 5k, building up to the 10K is just GRAVY! Keep on truckin and much success!
  • joy, thanks so much for the encouraging words! I love reading your posts - they're always so positive and interesting!

The Corp Challenge I did was in Boston. I'm from NY but lived in MA for about 15 years. We moved back 4 years ago. Where in NYC did you live? I grew up in Brooklyn then went to college @ Columbia, then moved to the UES for awhile.

Just found out there's a 5K in my town Saturday that I'm thinking of doing - can see how this could be addictive. Tons of charity runs this time of year.
  • WOW...we are both from Brooklyn! I grew up in Canarsie! Ya...it is really addicting. Who knew that only 7 months ago, I could barely run for 30 seconds without early onset of cardiac arrest! It's funny how our bodies can do soooo much more than our minds tell us we can. I guess the old sayin' is really true..."mind over matter".

I think I'm getting old though...I'm not motivated by being the fastest anymore...I just want to complete it...even if I'm last...I still feel like a winner..haha! Funny..just turned 44 two days ago...and everyone tells me I look very young (20's), but my mind is getting old though. I just want to look fabulous and wear my old clothes. I see why 70-80yr olds are so simple.

I'm rootin' for ya in the next 10K! Woot..woot!
  • I ran my second 5K this past weekend and posted a 27:36 time. Keep it up!