Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 04-30-2011, 05:23 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 285/211/165

Height: 5'6"

Default Just bought a treadmill!

After weeks - months! of going back and forth on what to buy I finally bit the bullet. I have a mini elliptical that I use 3x per week because getting outside to walk hasn't been happening (single mom, so my 7yo son has to come with me or I don't go). I had the $ and the space, it was just analysis paralysis. It's being delivered on Mothers Day (I got the NordicTrack T8.0 at Sears)

Any tips/tricks/suggestions for getting started? When I first started walking outside a few months ago, I attempted C25K but it was too much for me at zero fitness level. I may try that again.
juliana77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 07:26 PM   #2  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Great move, Juliana!! You'll really enjoy it, I think. Don't worry if, after a while, your use ebbs and flows - i stressed when I skipped a month when it was good weather and I was outside more, then was back on it and never regret the $ spent! I like that I can walk before it's light in the morning and be safe.

Just start working on building up how far you can go. Don't worry about incline/speed any of that yet. When you can walk for longer periods of time, then speed it up, then work with the incline.

Congrats - a great healthy Happy Mother's day to you!
nationalparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 10:07 PM   #3  
I am in control.

Height: 5'9

Awesome!! I agree with national...just start building up to where you feel comfortable. Don't rush into anything b/c you don't want to get injured, that's for sure!
Emme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 11:45 PM   #4  

S/C/G: SW-213/GW-170/CW-194

Height: 5ft 7

When I first got my treadmill I just got on and walked trying out the different features. There are so many programs built into the newer models that there's a program to fit many abilities. In the end, I just usually create a playlist of my own music, use cardio coach or listen to a jillian podcast. There was a learning curve with walking on the bed. It took me a while to comfortably walk without holding on for fear of falling.

Have fun with your new fitness toy!

Last edited by phillygirl2011; 04-30-2011 at 11:48 PM. Reason: added
phillygirl2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 09:58 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 285/211/165

Height: 5'6"

Thank you it was a little scary trying them out at the store, felt like I was going to fall off! I will definitely start out slower. I had debated between the treadmill and a full sized elliptical, but decided on the tm because it gives me more variety. From what I have read, impact is actually good for your bones/joints (as long as you don't overdo and injure yourself of course).
juliana77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 11:09 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 175/ticker/125

Height: 5'3

congrats!!!
justplay around with it. i have one and i dont think i know how to use it properly. i just run on it and change the speed up and down.. lol. but i am also technologically challenge.. hehe

i like a treadmill because the numbers push me! i make goals for myself as i run. i also enjoy interval running on the treadmill.
bellaella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 03:50 PM   #7  

I love using these workouts for the treadmill. The coach (Sean O'Malley) is extremely motivating and makes the time fly by:

http://www.cardiocoach.com/index.php

Enjoy your new treadmill-
Sherry
suzie76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 04:17 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 185/161.8/159

Height: 5'9

Jealous! I have an almost 3 old son, can't run outside waah.
Arianwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 06:52 PM   #9  

Arainwen, actually I've noticed that a lot of single child jogging strollers have weight capacities up to 50, 70, even 100 lbs. Craigslist has used ones at a fraction of the price too.
TerraIncognita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 04:40 PM   #10  
I'm Just a Little Crazy

S/C/G: 250/215/170

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arianwen View Post
Jealous! I have an almost 3 old son, can't run outside waah.
Get a jogging stroller and throw him in it! I bought one on craig's list for $25. My son loves it!
SCraver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 04:42 PM   #11  
I'm Just a Little Crazy

S/C/G: 250/215/170

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliana77 View Post
After weeks - months! of going back and forth on what to buy I finally bit the bullet. I have a mini elliptical that I use 3x per week because getting outside to walk hasn't been happening (single mom, so my 7yo son has to come with me or I don't go). I had the $ and the space, it was just analysis paralysis. It's being delivered on Mothers Day (I got the NordicTrack T8.0 at Sears)

Any tips/tricks/suggestions for getting started? When I first started walking outside a few months ago, I attempted C25K but it was too much for me at zero fitness level. I may try that again.
I love having a TM. I started off with a sort of modified c25k. I would do intervals - one min. fast, one min. slow. Then I would work up to two mins fast, one min slow. 'fast' was 4.6 mph when I started. The I gradually worked up to 5 mph. The c25k program was too fast for me. I had to go s l o w e r.

Lol!
SCraver is offline   Reply With Quote