Excercise videos / workouts at home?

• Does anyone else really enjoy working out at home? I just don't do well if I try to go to the gym but I have been successful for months working out on my own.

I use the wii, various workouts with Gilad, and I enjoy a lot of the old "basic training" workouts with Ada.

I would love to hear from anyone else who is doing a similar program.
  • Hi Riemontana. Yes, I'm a super fan of home video exercising. I've exclusively worked out at home for about eleven years. I used to do step aerobics at home but switched to boxing/jump rope videos for a while. I also mixed in jump roping during paused sections of videos to add in more aerobic time.

I've been recovering from a major pinched nerve incident and screwed up knees in Sept 09. I use the Firm: 500 Calorie Workout now only. As I've gotten stronger, I add in harder moves to intensify the effort. I also have modified the moves that I can't do (yet?) because of my knees. I want super duper intensity but have to stay low-impact.

For about six months or so, I've worn ankle and wrist weights during this video. One concern I have with my wrist weights is that I am going to the doctor on Friday for a possible rotator cuff tear in my shoulder (on and off major pain for almost a year). Could this be caused by the combo of weights and lots of upper arm strengthening moves during aerobics? I hope not because I'm really enjoying my workouts and need to keep the intensity.
  • Another fan of DVD workouts. You might find this forum interesting. http://forum.videofitness.com/index.php
  • I loved DVD workouts, I started my journey doing You're Shape on the WII, then switched to 30 day shred with Jillian, as well a BL Bootcamp. I'm currently trying to get into inside out method Cardio with Bob Harper and I'm thinking of getting Jillian's riped in 30 since I'm sick of 30 day shred and need something different but also only 30 minutes.
  • Rotator cuff, OW. I am sorry to hear that.

Glad that others like the home workout thing.

I have recently added the ankle weights because I had adjusted to the workouts and felt that I needed more intensity. I need a knee replacement so I cannot do any high impact moves.

Any other videos that others enjoy?
  • Have you guys checked out the exercise video section of the 3FC forum?
  • Riemontana, I have also worked out exclusively at home with videos, since the early '90's. I have a tiny space in my living room but I make do. I have a firm foam step that has lasted for years. I also sometimes use hand held weights or ankle weights to increase resistance. These are my regulars -

Gilad - Step and Tone; 45/45 Split Strength; Quick Fit System
    Keli Roberts Ultimate Step Workout
    Karen Voigt Cardio Strength Circuit
    Denise Austin; Sizzler; Rock Hard Abs
    Gay Gasper Fat Burning for Dummies
    Tamilee Web Abs of Steel
    Fit in Six Burn It Up!
    Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred
    Cathe Freidrich

I find that if there is a tape I DON'T want to do, it is the one I should do because I find it difficult.

I am 50 yrs. old btw and aside from occasional knee pain/stiffness (my winter job, i am standing for 7 hours with no break) I feel pretty darn good and flexible.
  • I am sort of split on work out dvd's from home. My big thing is I can't handle repetitiveness on workouts. Like the person saying the same things OVER AND OVER because you are doing the exact same video everyday. I tried to do the Shred and had to quit, not because of the workouts being to hard, I actually liked those. It was because I couldn't handle for one more second hearing Jillian say the same things over and over. haha

I used to do the BL cardio video with Bob. LOVED it because you could turn his voice off and just have music playing.

I guess I am more of a gym, or getting out of the house and doing it type of person. I have to stay mentally engaged as well as physically. I do however play Just Dance from my WII everyday for an hour because it's a good quick workout and so much fun as well. I sweat my butt off too.
  • That is why over the years I have collected and traded dvds...I currently have probably 10-15 EACH of walking dvds, Pilates dvds, yoga, strength, etc. That way I am not listening to the same conversation every day.

Some of Leslie Sansone and Denise Austin's workouts have it where you can choose full audio, or just music only...so their voices are taken out!

I teach belly dance on Monday and Wednesday nights at a yoga studio and an athletic club, so it is fine for me to go in then and do something while I am there, but on other days it is usually dvds, treadmill, walking outside, dance training at home, etc. We also play Just Dance.
  • I tried a few home DVDs but never really found one that I enjoyed and felt like I got a good enough work out. Also, some of the presenters were super annoying! Like Davina...it's not a bad workout but I found her to be so patronising when she would give you a thumbs up and say "YOU'RE DOING SO WELL!"

My favourite and only workout I do at home is the Jillian Michaels 30 day shred. It works you out so good, gets a good sweat on and she's motivational without being annoying. I'd recommend it to anyone.
  • I love working out at home. I started when I got tired of the commute and looking presentable. I now have many workouts and several pieces of equipment to fit my mood. For those that don't want to invest, you can also browse blockbuster, netflix or other mail order services like fitness KineticFlix.com. Netflix has a lot of videos that you can stream. You can also check out youtube. Sparkpeople has a channel on there too. Jennyford.com has three full workouts on her website. There's no need to be bored just cause you work out at home.
  • I have a bunch of yoga dvds...love 'em!!!
  • I like Ilaria Montagnani and think I have done her dvds with and without impact. For info on her videos and others, I watch clips and compare products at collagevideos.com (awesome for finding the right intensity, impact, type, etc). It's funny that I'm the opposite of tschaff04 where I can do the exact same thing over and over and over. I must have been a gerbil in a past life.