Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 04-26-2011, 01:24 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 275/249/170

Height: 5'7

Question Weight Training: Endless Reps vs Muscle Exhaustion?

So I need help in my weight training for weight loss. I have been doing a lot of research about the best way to use weights to lose weight which has led to a lot of contradictory information.

Info 1: Use less weights and do more reps in order to maximize weight loss.

Info 2: Use heavier weights (you should struggle to finish all your sets) and do less sets.

I have spoken to lots of people and everyone seems divided about what is the best method. Anyone on here have any solid information which is the best path to follow? Thankies
SugarRomeoTango4852 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 03:49 PM   #2  
Roly-Poly Jock Girl

S/C/G: 342/ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

I've tried both methods and I felt stronger with each. However, I felt much, much, much stronger once I started doing the high weight, lower rep type. Additionally, while I would get a slight cardio benefit from using low weights at a faster pace, I was very pleasantly surprised by the increased cardio benefit while trying to move heavier weight, sloooowwwly, with perfect form.
Like most people, my time is limited. So I'd rather get more bang for my buck...I feel that high weight/low rep routines force me to work harder in a less amount of time. Plus, I don't get as bored.
I don't think either way is more "right" than the other...high rep/low weight is great for muscle endurance..high weight/low rep is better for building strength. Both will burn calories and help you become a fitter, healthier you. That said, weight loss is all about calories in vs calories out..and the more lean muscle you have, the more calories you burn at rest. And higher weight/lower rep is better for building muscle.
BluCypressLily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 04:20 PM   #3  

#1 principle in strength training: Overload principle. Def.: Fatigue the muscle by asking it to perform more than it's normal use so that micro muscle fibers tear and repair during recovery which then builds the muscle.

You can do this two ways. By using low weight and higher reps or by using heavier weight and less reps.

I'm all about efficiency when it comes to time in the gym. Do you want it to take longer to fatigue the muscle? I doubt it.

Do you want it to take longer to gain strength and reap the benefits of a leaner body mass? I doubt it.

I vote for heavy weight/lower reps.

Don't be afraid of building your muscles efficiently. Yes you will see the muscle bulk up. Isn't that what we ultimately want? It will aid in losing the fat that covers the muscle (higher metabolism) and with years of dedication (yes, YEARS so don't give up. It's a lifestyle change, not a temp diet.) you will be ripped.

Last edited by fitness4life; 04-26-2011 at 04:21 PM.
fitness4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 04:39 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 344/119/116

Height: 5'1"

I have only been lifting weights a short time. So I am certainly no expert. But this is where I noticed the difference - I read about counting 4 seconds lifting up and 4 seconds lowering. My muscles seemed to really take off. However, to do them at this slower pace, I needed to lower the weight a little, because I just couldn't sustain the movement with the higher weight.

I do 2-3 sets of 12 for each exercise I am doing.
CherryPie99 is offline   Reply With Quote