Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 04-05-2011, 12:54 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 295/278/160

Height: 5'7

Default Short Interval Running

So I used to run waaaaaaay back in my teen years, when I was thin. I have decided that I am going to start working towards being able to run again. Now I have significant arthritis in my left knee, and I am still quite heavy, so I need to use some caution.

I have been walking 3 miles a day, and have been really surprised that I have had NO trouble with my knee, so today I decided to add in some short interval running along my normal 3 mile route. I ended up running 8x for about 75 meters each. Very short distances, but eventually I will work up to further.

I was just wondering if anyone had any advice to offer on frequency, or anything else for that matter. I'd love any input I can get, since it's been 20 years since I ran further than it took to catch a toddler! lol
OhMyDogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 01:57 PM   #2  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

Make sure you get really good running shoes. I went to road runner sports and got fitted for good shoes. I have tendonitis and the past few years that I have bought their shoes I have had ZERO problems with foot pain.
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 02:39 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 250/186.3/not sure yet

Height: 5' 5.5"

I do interval training, and I love it. My only suggestion would be to take it pretty slow in the beginning -- you might feel like you can do more in any given day/run, and that's is great. But, as you are getting used to it, get to know your body again. I had several times that I felt great when I was running, but then my hips (my trouble area) would be really hurting later!

Other than that, I try to go with time rather than distance (because it's easier for me to track, esp when running outside).

Good luck and enjoy!!
hope4balance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 05:28 PM   #4  

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhMyDogs View Post
So I used to run waaaaaaay back in my teen years, when I was thin. I have decided that I am going to start working towards being able to run again. Now I have significant arthritis in my left knee, and I am still quite heavy, so I need to use some caution.

I have been walking 3 miles a day, and have been really surprised that I have had NO trouble with my knee, so today I decided to add in some short interval running along my normal 3 mile route. I ended up running 8x for about 75 meters each. Very short distances, but eventually I will work up to further.

I was just wondering if anyone had any advice to offer on frequency, or anything else for that matter. I'd love any input I can get, since it's been 20 years since I ran further than it took to catch a toddler! lol
The distances will improve quickly. As the other poster said good shoes are very important. It will do your knees a big favor if you avoid running on paved surfaces and seek out gravel paths, dirt tracks etc. Boardwalks are also good should you happen to live near one. Lots of high schools have extremely forgiving composition surfaces if you can deal with running around a track which can get boring quickly.
Congratulations on becoming a runner. Good luck.

There are clubs you can't belong to, neighborhoods you can't live in, schools you can't get into, but the roads are always open.
Eliochacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 05:42 PM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliochacon View Post
The distances will improve quickly. As the other poster said good shoes are very important. It will do your knees a big favor if you avoid running on paved surfaces and seek out gravel paths, dirt tracks etc. Boardwalks are also good should you happen to live near one. Lots of high schools have extremely forgiving composition surfaces if you can deal with running around a track which can get boring quickly.
Congratulations on becoming a runner. Good luck.

There are clubs you can't belong to, neighborhoods you can't live in, schools you can't get into, but the roads are always open.

Thank you very much. I have the best of both worlds. I live in a very quiet rural area, with some paved roads (which I walk), and some dirt roads (which is where I will run). I hadn't thought to avoid running on pavement, but will absolutely keep this in mind from now on!
Old 04-05-2011, 05:44 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 420/420/210

Height: 5'9"

I;m with hope4balance! I love interval training. It gets easier and easier. I started doing 3.0mph/3.5mph and am building up. take it easy on ur knee. what about one of those wraps for you knee that i see many people wear? would that help any with your arthritis? also maybe you can break up your exercise throughout the day so you won't be doing too much at one time on your knee
stasiagurl91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 06:21 PM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by stasiagurl91 View Post
I;m with hope4balance! I love interval training. It gets easier and easier. I started doing 3.0mph/3.5mph and am building up. take it easy on ur knee. what about one of those wraps for you knee that i see many people wear? would that help any with your arthritis? also maybe you can break up your exercise throughout the day so you won't be doing too much at one time on your knee

I do have a brace for my knee, but I find 2 things with it, 1) that the straps rub against my leg, and since they are velcro, it hurts if I am walking too far (or running I'd assume) and 2) that I walk diffrently when I wear it, so I find I am using muscles differently than I would for my usual walking. I don't baby my knee at all when I walk, it's totally fine and normal for the most part. My biggest problems are when I 1) do too much, or 2) have to get down on the floor, or get back up. Otherwise it doesn't bother me too much (which is a far cry from even a few months ago).

I hadn't actually planned on starting to run until I had gotten my weight down to about 230lbs or so, but I am just not that patient, and since my knee seems to be giving me the go-ahead, I am going to take that and run with it (pun intended)