3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Exercise! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise-34/)
-   -   Heartrate monitor (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise/229375-heartrate-monitor.html)

Lnm130 03-30-2011 09:29 PM

Heartrate monitor

I would really like to purchase a monitor to wear while working out. I would rather get a watch-type one, and affordably, so ~$50 or less.

Any recommendations? Amazon got a little overwhelming!

hatethesweatpants 03-31-2011 08:31 AM

The very best heart rate monitors have a chest strap that sends a signal to your watch hrm. Usually, those cost closer to $75. I honestly wouldn't even bother with the other ones (watch only). I use a Polar with that feature and I found it on sale for $75 with a $10 rebate. The only other feature that is helpful is some kind of thing that keeps it from interfering with other heart rate monitors around you (helpful if you take classes or are in a gym setting with other hrm users around you). Most of the hrms in the price range I'm talking about have this feature. Good luck!

Lnm130 03-31-2011 09:07 AM

OK, $75 is do-able. I just want to know how many calories I am truly burning. I really know nothing about them, so thank you for your reply! It gives me a starting point!

Lnm130 03-31-2011 09:17 AM

I found a Polar F6 on Amazon for $83 with shipping. Anyone with experiences with this monitor?

CherryPie99 03-31-2011 04:41 PM

My husband is a bit OCD and researches the crap out of everything. He bought me a Polar RS200 for Xmas. He told me that all his research showed Polar to be the best. I'm very happy with mine!

stasiagurl91 03-31-2011 05:19 PM

This is a good question because when I go on amazon and look for heart moniter I never know what I should get (when I get a job).

hatethesweatpants 04-01-2011 08:00 AM

Polar F6 was my last one - it's great. The calorie counting feature is awesome. Unfortunately, I changed the batteries myself and after a year, it didn't seal properly and I ruined it with sweat. :( My new one is a Polar ft4 and has self-changing batteries. It's not as "pretty" but has all the same features.

A tip - always spread a little water under the chest strap before you exercise. You get a lot better signal.

cbmare 04-04-2011 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hatethesweatpants (Post 3786061)
Polar F6 was my last one - it's great. The calorie counting feature is awesome. Unfortunately, I changed the batteries myself and after a year, it didn't seal properly and I ruined it with sweat. :( My new one is a Polar ft4 and has self-changing batteries. It's not as "pretty" but has all the same features.

A tip - always spread a little water under the chest strap before you exercise. You get a lot better signal.

What are self changing batteries?

hatethesweatpants 04-05-2011 07:56 AM

I mean a battery you can change yourself without taking it into a watch shop or sending it to polar. I guess that sounded kinda weird! Sorry!

cbmare 04-05-2011 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hatethesweatpants (Post 3792022)
I mean a battery you can change yourself without taking it into a watch shop or sending it to polar. I guess that sounded kinda weird! Sorry!

OK. I got it. Since I'm just coming off 10 months of atrial fib, and just now allowed to get active again, I think I want one. Wish my DH would get a job.

nelie 04-05-2011 06:02 PM

Polar hrms are one of the best out there. You definitely want a chest strap. I decided to get a new one, polar rs300x. I'm looking forward to it.