Help

• ok I am new to this. I have a membership to a gym I never seem to find time to go it is about 30mins. away from home, but have found a zumba class not 5 mins. away. Have gone to two classes and enjoyed it. was trying to deside on do I quit the gym and just do zumba, but how good is it at lose weight or do I need to just make myself go to the gym to do weights also? R sound I quit the gym and join a weight lose program like weight watchers r someithing along with zumba. Do not enjoy weights lifting like I do dancing. I have a lot of weight to lose so what is going to b the best option?
  • Losing weight is hard enough to add something you don't like doing on top of it. I say, if you can quit the gym without a penalty (not sure if you are stuck in a contract) then I say quit it for now and just do zumba. If you love it, keep doing it. And it will relieve your stress about having a membership you don't want to use right now. However, I should caution you that it's possible too much of a good thing can sometimes be too much. You might get bored or you might build up such a resistance that you need something more challenging like doing the elliptical, stationary bike or treadmill.

When I first joined my gym I only focused on doing the video's and cardio equipment. It was after I lost about 20 pounds did I start using the weight machines to begin toning and muscle building. Especially after I found out that the more muscle you have, the more calories you burn during the day when sedenary! Do I love weight lifting? Heck no! But I do it because it's not that hard and the rewards are awesome!

You can always rejoin a gym later --- and hopefully one closer to home.

And ps: You are NOT a lost cause despite your 3FC name! Keep up the great work!
  • Thank u so much! my contract is just about up. Going to try zumba a few more classes and see how it goes. Was thinking about the wii r the xbox also may b another option. May try playing around with diffrent things and see what I enjoy most.
  • Here are a couple "do at home" tips if you do want to incorporate a bit of weight training.

Fill up a gallon milk bottle (plastic) with water or sand. Add as much or little water as you want where it is comfortable. Hold it above your head with both hands and lower it behind your head. This helps with arms. You simply use it as a replacement to dumbells.

I also inviested in ankle weights. They just velcro around your ankles and I can remove the little sacks in 1 pound increments. I walk around the house with them and sometimes out shopping. Perhaps you can Zumba with them? It just adds a little extra umph! And when I am in bed, I scissor chop my legs with them on.

Oh, and that elastic band thing is good too. I don't have one but heard it's good for home.

I don't have much expertise with wii or xbox but let me know how it goes if you try it!

The more you enjoy, the better! :-)
  • If you like the Zumba then go for it!
  • I met a guy recently who had lost over 100 pounds and he just did Zumba classes... I think it is important to find something you really like. I have really taken to spinning and I go to every class I can squeeze in!

I think a key to a gym is for it to be close-by. 30 minutes away would be way to far for me. Mine is 2 minutes and sometimes I go twice a day. When you are ready to add more like lifting weights try to find something as close to you as possible.
  • Thank u so much for the info I am no longer with the Gym that is 30min. away think I am going to give zumba class a try and see how it goes then may check into a gym later
  • I think your idea of joining WW is great as well. I'm a huge zumba fan, but 80% of losing weight is what you're eating. If you work out and eat right in combination, you'll be amazed at your results! Good luck!
  • Need Help!!!! I am the biggest I have ever been and I have got to get some weight off me. I am used to Weight Watchers and I have lost 50lb r more with them. Trying to decide on trying something new, or going back to something old. Checked out the Metabolic Research Center and it sounds great I like the way if u don't come in they will call u. I have a habbit of not sticking with it and then u r out all that money. With WW at least u r not out any money u don't go u don't pay. I start looking and feeling better and I sabotage myself.