Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Closed Thread

Old 01-17-2003, 02:41 AM   #91  
so close, yet so far...

S/C/G: wanna be 135

Height: 5'3"

Hey Jane, that's great that you braved the cold. It was a little chilly here too (high 60's ) ... for me anyway, but we (my sister and I) kept up the pace and broke a little sweat. I love it that these walks are getting easier. I guess I need to change routes...make it more challenging. Speaking of which, we always take the dog with us. Today there were 3 feral dogs in a vacant lot which we always walk past. They all jumped up at once when we came around the corner. We had to throw rocks and keep yelling at them to keep them at bay. They didn't get too close to us since we were being agressive but they did advance a couple of times. I called the humane society when I got home to see if they could round them up and take them in.

WNYmom, feeling much better? I hope so.

Tricia, what kind of exercises do you do with the ball? I've seen 'em before but not really being used. That sounds interesting.

JaZvIneZ have things settled down for you yet? It's always nice to get back into some sort of routine with eating right and exercising. Always a little hard to start up, but once you get into the groove it's great.

Everyone else, where are you hiding? Hope everyone is busy walking or at doing a lot of moving around. Hope to hear from you.
Old 01-17-2003, 06:13 AM   #92  

Thanks!!! I did not get to walk last night but I did do some step aerobics and drank some (not enough) water. And I ate some pep. pizza. I would not have but my husband wanted pizza, so. I have been drinking water and counting calories, for about two weeks now. It seems like once I start counting calories I cant stop. I hope this is normal. Everytime I look at a drink, a snack, a dinner I check out all the calories. I hope everyone is tough today well me for sure. Talk later. Keep up the good work!!
Old 01-17-2003, 08:31 AM   #93  
Finally Fit!

Hi JustJane, Smileybug.... Noelle. hey Tricia, WNY... I feel like slug, after reading all the lively discussion. I just can't get here like I usd to. I used to be on at work, and just laugh at all our posts to each other. now i'm lucky to get on once a day.

Justjane: I'm a juvenile delinquent Counselor. I work with kids 15-21. I have 18 kids right now, and half of them I have to stand up in court with. That's scary. But the judge is very laidback. I get frustrated, because my job is to spend time with the kids, and it has often left me working late evenings, and even suggested I take the kids out together, on the weekends. Give me a break. Thi is a job, not my life. So, I"m trying to find a normal routine to see my kids each week. Frustrating. Also started a Scrapbooking Business early Jan. Trying to get taht off the ground is another hurdle for me.

I did take my walk yesterday, right before the snow started falling. Doesn't look lik emuch now, but when it's faling it feels like a storm. Schools are delayed this morning. They're chicken wihtt hose buses. Can't blame 'em. Well, gotta check my planner, see what's in strore for me now! See you ladies later.... walk if you can!
Old 01-17-2003, 09:39 AM   #94  
Hanging in There

Lightbulb I have a suggestion for you lone walkers

If you don't have a dog, ask a dog-owning neighbor if you can walk his dog. I did this all during my childhood because my parents didn't want the responsibilty that goes along with owning a dog. I have my own now--of course--and I feel safe with them. No, they're not vicious, but I've no doubt that they'd protect me if they had to. Doesn't matter what size dog either--I've always found that the size of the dog is inversely proportinate to their fierocity. I've also found that a lot of people are outright afraid of dogs--I've seen passers-by shy away from the Bichon in my dog group. Try it! I know when I was a kid, the neighbors appreciated me walking their dogs, and the dog(s) associate me with good times.
Old 01-17-2003, 11:20 AM   #95  
so close, yet so far...

S/C/G: wanna be 135

Height: 5'3"

Smile

DawnStorm, that's a great idea! Although my sister's dog is great protection, it's a job to walk him because he gets very aggressive whenever he sees any other dog. It's always a workout just holding on to his leash. Believe me, we've tried obedience training and sessions with an animal behavioralist. The problem only got minimially better. I'd really rather leave him at home and let him run freely in our backyard. I think I'm going to start asking around my neighborhood if anyone has a nice dog i can walk that will actually heel and can walk past another dog and be happy instead of go nuts.

Last edited by melekalikimaka; 01-17-2003 at 11:24 AM.
Old 01-17-2003, 01:57 PM   #96  
Finally Fit!

GOOD IDEA! never thought of walkig aneighbors dog,a nd gives you a chance to form that relationsihp we rarely get to have nowadays. Wish everyone was issued a porch swing and a big porch when one gets a home, that way we could get together like yester year. Wish we lived in a more friendly neighborhood. It's every man to himself. But now and then I see dogs getting walked. I cn't imagine my dog not getting a walk. She'd probably crap everywhere, and gain weight like crazy. it's my gift to her. And she's my gift. She reinds me when i'm thouthless.
Old 01-17-2003, 02:48 PM   #97  
Eat Less; Exercise More

Yes, I thought about it, especially in these dangerous times... but like svelte says, I don't really know my neighbors well enough to ask them to borrow their dog! My direct neighbors have a dog, but she is so psycho that I'm afraid she'd turn on *me* when I'm out walking with her if she got scared. I think she must have been abused, because she is a whole different, scary, animal when her owners aren't around. I have no idea what she'd do if she encountered another dog on a walk! The lady across the street has a cocker spaniel, but they tend to be pretty excitable too, do they not? I'll have to canvass the neighborhood for likely companion pooches. Thanks for the suggestion, dawnstorm.

How much snow did y'all get, svelte? We're supposed to get down in the low 20's tonight. I won't make it to Curves by close of business tonight, so I'll have to choose between staying in my nice warm house and watching a video, or braving the cold and going for a walk....talk me into it, pleeeeeaaaaseeee!
Old 01-17-2003, 03:26 PM   #98  

Here I am, I have been doing my walking 1 and a half miles in 30min. at 7 incline..I'm feeling good I actually can't go through a day and not exercise in some way..I never thought I'd feel that way not in a million years. melekalikimaka- the ball it was a lot of fun and seemingly painless... you sit on it and the balance alone helps but you walk down to the small of you back and do crunches, you can put it between you and the wall and do squats there's actually a lot. I got the ball at walmart and then later found a video by Kathy Smith. I was sore the next day and yet I didn't think it was anything doing it, in fact I wasn't sure I would do it again because it seemed too easy As you can see I was wrong. Well my children are home from school I must go..till next time
Old 01-17-2003, 08:18 PM   #99  
Finally Fit!

I always suggest going for that walk, cause the fresh air tends to get me singing,a nd I feel better for it in the long run. Just got back from my walk. thouth I"d do the pilates video, again, skippe dit. i'm gonna get my aerobics friend to come over on monday, since clas is cancelled, and have her do it with me. better motivation when you're with someone. better accountability too. she's been in the classes with me since Sept, so we keep track of each other. she's my hubby's cousin, and we're watching each other.

We got about 3 inches, more like a dusting really. Took the walk, bundled up big time, biter cold out there. It's powdery snow though. Althought he sdirvers probably packe dit down pretty good. Freezing cold I tell ya. I still have cold rosy cheeks as I type here. Good for me and the dog to get some brisk air in us.

That ball soudns really good, My chiropractor has one of them, helps the back, stretches the spine, and makes you work harder with crunches. I'll try pilates, i'm afraid of too many props. i'm still waiting for the thigh master to get here UPS. I'll try anything once. Or twice. But taht ball sounds great for joints too. I'm big on helping your joints stay strong. that way as you age, you're not so weak, and your back tends not to hunch. My grandmother is bent half way over. She is in bad shape makes me look at myself, and try to change that for me in the future. ok i'm rambling now....
Old 01-17-2003, 08:35 PM   #100  

Well, it was late but I did get my walk in for today! I normally drop my younger son off at preschool then come home and have lunch then do my walk then back to pick my son up but today I went and did some shoping instead. I also stopped at BK and picked up a Chicken Whopper Jr. with no mayo and a side salad with low fat italian dressing. Didn't use the croutons and also didn't use all the dressing. Used about half on the salad and about 1/4 on the Chicken Whopper. I ate that in the car then finished my shopping.
I really like having the treadmill cuz then I can do my walking when it fits in my schedule and not have to worry about weather, darkenss or if the gym is busy or even open for that matter.
Old 01-17-2003, 09:24 PM   #101  
Eat Less; Exercise More

Well, I braved the elements! Bundled up in a turtleneck, sweatshirt, fleet jacket and fleece vest + head band, scarf and gloves...walked 1 block and then actually had to take a layer off cuz I was too hot!

Did 2 miles altogether in about 35 mins. I feel...victorious! for conquering the elements.

Now I'm enjoying a good movie and a small glass of red wine

y'all have a good evening
Old 01-18-2003, 09:39 AM   #102  

Good Morning thought I'd write before it got too busy. I decided to for go the walking today as I am taking my Girl Scouts ice skating and then to the holidome for some swimming so I figured..that should do it or do me in I couldn't help myself I weighed today wasn't suppose to till Wed .but I'm a loser -3 lbs..finally..I couldn't believe it and actually have went back twice to make sure I was seeing what I thought I saw..I feel good ..well I got to go pack ..pray for me...I have only ice skated once in my whole life and I was 16 at the time..so ... it'll be interesting..
Old 01-18-2003, 04:51 PM   #103  
Finally Fit!

Hope she's not in an Er somewhere. I'm scared stif fto ice scate. Hard enough walking in snow, let alone balancing on a blade on ice... more power to those who are braver than I. Great news taht you're down 3 lbs. That's a start. And you'll start to feel better and better wiht walking. Good!!

I have been laying around today, since going to the scrapbooking workshop. Feeling nostalgic, wiht pictues of my grandmother, who has alzheimers. She a sweet soul. Hope she lives froever.. though I'm not in denial. she's 89.

Hubby and I are finally feeling a hundred percent again. Cold about kicked his butt, and started in on me. I deflected it with meds. I get over stuff faster than him. But it's good not to see him suffering with that aweful stuffy nose and cough.

Well, it's freezing cold,a nd i've vowed, for probably 2 wks now, to do that Pilates dvd. here I go.........
Old 01-18-2003, 04:57 PM   #104  

I know this is off topic but can I ask that you pray for a friend of mine from another board. Her DH is in the hospital on life support. He collapsed the other day and they found a brain tumor. There is no hope so it is just a waiting game for them to OK the removal of all support. There was no waring to this so quite shocking. He will leave behind his wife and 2 young girls ages 9 and 3. Pray that DonnaLeigh has strength to endure this horrible time.
Old 01-19-2003, 09:11 AM   #105  
Finally Fit!

Ohmigosh. What an aweful situation. I can't imagine, But i'll pray right here, right now.

Dear Lord, I want to thank you first for WNYmom, who took the initiative to make us aware of this aweful situation for DonnaLeigh. I know that You are higher than us,a nd You know what we can handle. You are the author of our Faith, and You can give us what we need to get through times we never imagined we'd live through. I ask you, and stand with all the laides here who belive in You, for two things, Power to heal, and do a miracle in his body. And, if you find it your will to breing him home, Strength for the family to Heal from this loss,a nd Celebrate his life. I pray that many, many will come to you, from this, and that You will be glorified. We believe you can do all things.

Amen.
Closed Thread