Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Closed Thread

Old 12-20-2002, 08:34 AM   #16  

When I started walking on my treadmill I was doing 15 minutes a day, 3 days a week with a max speed of 3mph. I am now up to 35 minutes a day. I am staying at a max of 3mph. Any higher and I start to get into a jog and I don't want to do that.
I have my treadmill in the living room so I can watch TV when I walk. It really helps with the bordom!!!!!!
I am holding at 25# loss. I am trying real hard to watch what I eat and it is so hard. I can't wait till the holidays are over with and I can get back into my routine!!!!! It is so hard with all the shopping and such. I have not gotten on the treadmill all week and only got on it once last week. I have been doing alot of walking while shopping though. Only a few more weeks and everything will be back to normal again!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-20-2002, 08:17 PM   #17  
so close, yet so far...

S/C/G: wanna be 135

Height: 5'3"

Hey everybody. I'm a walker too. After sitting on my butt all day at work, I try to get in a 1 hr to 1.5 hr walk in the evenings--5-6 days a week. Lately I've been really lazy...I'd be guessing when I say it's a little over 3 miles round trip. I take a route near my home that's for the most part a steady incline. It's a workout and I feel good when I'm heading down the hill back towards home. I also have a Proform Cross Walk treadmill but I prefer walking outside in the fresh air since it's more varied. I need a little motivation to keep up the exercise. Can anyone give me a good swift kick in the pants?
Old 12-21-2002, 08:20 AM   #18  
Finally Fit!

NOelle. Fancy seeing you here! Glad you joined up here too. I"m a walkig fool now! I walked yesterday, and was grooving to my Shakira CD so much, I decided to do that walk all over again! man, I was tired, but I think I ended up with 2 miles under my belt. ALmost literally too! That felt great! I'm gonn keep challenging myself out there, and hopefuly I"ll see results. Hope you girls are moving!!
Old 12-21-2002, 08:21 AM   #19  
Finally Fit!

FORGOT THE SWIFT KICK IN THE PANTS.... WHOOMPHHHH! AND I WEAR A SIZE 8.. THAT'LL LEAVE A MARK!!!
Old 12-22-2002, 01:12 PM   #20  

Height: 5'7

Hi!
Svelte good to see you again! And hello to everyone that just joined up!
I totally agree about the holidays throwing off the schedule. I've still been sneaking in my walks everyday but its a juggling act trying to eat healthier when I'm eating all my meals on the go or out. I'm hanging in there.
Today I'm going to get on that treadmill for some serious sweating. I'm due for it. Jazvinez about the stomach, it's really funny because along with my calves the other significant change I'm noticing is in my stomach. So you're definitely not dreaming.
Well I'm going to try to get that treadmill going. I have to do some baking too, no nibbling!
Old 12-22-2002, 01:39 PM   #21  
Finally Fit!

HI girls! listen, I"m dinga search on the internet for a treadmill,a nd I'm afraid I"ll never be able to afford one. How'd you girls do it,a nd about howm uch should I expect to spend? I jsut don't want to get taken for a ride.. I wanna know what to look for.
Old 12-22-2002, 06:35 PM   #22  

I was able to get mine cuz DH spent about $3000 on his show car. He has been told many times that he got off easy just getting me a $700 treadmill!!!!!!!!!!!
I did some research online and finally settled on a treadmill from Sears. I went to the store and checked it out first. Things you have to watch for are belt length and width. Mine will fold up but it still takes up quite a bit of room and isn't really that easy to move around. It can be done but it isn't really easy like they make you think. Noise factor is also something to keep in mind. Mine isn't real noisy but then it isn't whisper quiet. I also have 2 drink holders and a book holder on mine even though I don't think I could read while walking it does make a nice spot to keep a pen or pencil and some paper to keep track of my workouts. Mine is also iFIT.com compatable. I tried out the free signup and liked it but don't feel I have to pay the money every week for the extras. I let that slide and now I just go there and pick out the workouts and keep track myself. Since I always watch TV while doing my workouts I don't need the music or trainer.
Good luck finding a treadmill that fits within our budget.
Old 12-23-2002, 04:12 PM   #23  
so close, yet so far...

S/C/G: wanna be 135

Height: 5'3"

Happy Monday everyone. Thanks to Chris (SvelteChicky) giving me the boot the other day, I did get out and walk on Friday. Saturday wasn't so great but Sunday I did a lot of walking while frantically shopping for last minute gifts.

As far as the treadmill question goes, I have a Proform Crosswalk(?) which folds up space saving. It does have the pulse/heartrate monitor and distance/calories burned windows, 2 cup holders, etc. This one doesn't have the movable arm thingies which I never used anyway Not compatible with iFit as far as I know, but I picked it up on sale from Sears a couple of years ago for under $450. It is kind of noisy but I just turn the music up and it doesn't bother me a bit--don't know about my neighbors though.

----------------------
10/24/02 SW: 215
12/23/02 CW: 195
Mini-Goal: 180 by 2/14/03
GW: 140-150
Old 12-23-2002, 07:29 PM   #24  
Finally Fit!

Hey Noelle, I noticed your stats at the obottom of your message. You're dong reallyl great! Imagine where you were a year ago today,a nd celebrate your success so far! Just thoguth I'd highlite your accompalishment. I"m wanting a treadmill, especially since I'm coveting my friends. It would be great to have certain workout, and do it while watching TV at night. I'll put it on my wish list. I see them for really cheap (non motorized) and then very expensive, bells and whisltes. I dunno.

Tonight, I'm here at grandma's takinga break from the eating thing, we're having appetizers, like sausage balls, cheese ball and crackers, meatballs. Balls Balls Balls. NO fruit, and no veggies here. Bad. So, I took a break. I'll take a long walk afterwards. Brought the dog, so I'm also chasing her around. Hope you girls are being good!
Old 12-26-2002, 01:34 AM   #25  

Recently I decided to start walking at least 5 days a week, for at least 45 minutes. I should be starting officially on the 27th. I was wondering if there is a minimum pace to get results. Also, how long did it take for you to start seeing results? Not necessarily on the scale, but in the way you look/feel.
Old 12-26-2002, 07:04 AM   #26  
Finally Fit!

Hi BlueSkies! Love the name. I think that walking is something you decide to individualize. Some people start slow, like a short walk around the block, any speed. Generally, if you walk everyday, in the beginning you oughtta take it easy. I wouldn't power walk, (fast and strong walking) right from the beginning. Other ladies can advise you about that. BUT, for me, it's the activitiy, and not necessarily the speed that will change your body and mind. If you are consistent with walking, you will feel better within about 2 weeks, better breathing, easier to walk stairs, more energy, and I feel stronger. That's my 2 cents on that. Good idea to walk everyday. I do that, and I'm really happy with my results. It's good for the soul too. Time alone (well, wiht my dog)
Old 12-28-2002, 06:13 PM   #27  

Height: 5'7

Default Hi

How's everyone doing? Hope you all had a nice holiday/week.
BlueSkies welcome, I second what Svelte says about results, it's all about the individual. Go with what feels right. Also the most important thing to remember is patience. It's something I have to remind myself all the time. Walking will eventually bring the changes, if you let it.

As for me, I missed two days of walking this week because of the holiday and it just felt wrong. Today I was back on the treadmill for a good 45 minutes, I feel better. The weather is getting a little warmer again (40s) so I should be able to do some outdoor exercise tomorrow.
Quick question has anyone ever tried those walking weights you strap to your wrist and ankles? Just wondering if they make a difference or not. Take Care
Old 12-28-2002, 06:28 PM   #28  
Finally Fit!

I hear those weights help, with resistance. its good for you if you wanna build more muscle, and get more from the same old workout. Me, i don't use weights, but try to add distance or time to my walks. And, got a bike for chrismtas, so i'm riding hte walking course a couple more times. After I walk, I get home,a nd drag out the bike, do it again. Today, just walked it. I'm feeling lousy, I thin it's from eating those holiday sweets. Headaches. It's worht it though. I realyl indulged this year. I just need to get rid of the chocolate cordials, minty M&M's, and other junk. We'll take a good biek ride on new years. I'm trying to get hubby motivated to do this with me. Well, i'm going to take a hot bath, it's freezing!
Old 12-28-2002, 08:07 PM   #29  
Catwoman

I'd like to join your group, I have walked and hour a day for the last 4 days, I think it's a great way to start the day, gives the dog some exersize and we both feel better for it.

Kitty
Old 12-29-2002, 07:24 PM   #30  
Finally Fit!

Welcome, yeah I've got a doggie too. I heard from a girl at my church, she got mugged on Dec 14th. She live sin my neighborhood. That really scared me, cause I take those twalks every night.

I think we'll take walks from ymgrandmothers house, a much safer neighborhood, and hubby will go with me. Then, I'll do Aerobics on Mon/Wed nights. That'll make me feel safer, and happy to have the walking partner. I also have a bike now, so we'll take bike trips as often as we can. Probbly on Saturdays. That's my plan for now.
Closed Thread