Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 01-12-2011, 11:02 AM   #1  

S/C/G: ticker

Height: 5'8

Default When just beggining to exercise, is it normal to get sick?

I haven't done any form of exercise is YEARS (since I was a little girl I guess), but I started p90x on monday. I pretty much never get sick, but I woke up yesterday just filling like crap. Now I'm laying in bed home from work with a horrible cough and sore throat. Do you think there is any relation here?
hiswifeylee09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 11:06 AM   #2  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

I did! I asked that same question and got very little response to it, so I kind of figured it was abnormal. Exercising when I first started out last January (so same time of year) always brought on bronchitis, actually, or at least the start of it. I seem to produce more phlegm. Even now, this time of year, I still get sick-like symptoms that seem entirely induced by exercise. Even just yesterday, I had a really good runner faster than I've run before, and my chest burned all day long.

I've started taking sudafed before (or just after) a workout. That helps every single time. I can usually tell within a half hour after a workout if I'm going to have a problem with this or not.

I don't think a lot of people react this way though.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 11:27 AM   #3  

S/C/G: ticker

Height: 5'8

thanks for the response!! it's good to know i'm not the only one. it freakin sucks, but I'm gonna head over to Target to buy some sudafed right now!
hiswifeylee09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 11:51 PM   #4  
banned

I think this may have happened to me. A few months ago I was doing sprints outside with the cool, icy air, and starting that night I had a scratchy throat, then it turned into a cold that lasted for several days. I just chalked it up to finally catching the cold that everyone else around me had caught.
3FCer344892 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 12:19 AM   #5  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

Well, if you are new to a gym scene -- could be germs from the other people.

If you are doing it at home -- maybe it's detox. As you lose fat, all the stuff that was stored with it is let back out in your blood stream, so you feel like crap.

Or maybe it is a mix of both?

Either way try to just bear with it to get past this initial hump. Don't give up!

GL!

A.

Last edited by astrophe; 01-13-2011 at 12:19 AM.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote