Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 01-05-2011, 09:21 PM   #1  
Just keep breathing!

S/C/G: 191.7/191.7/145

Height: 5'5

Default My heart has more heart for running. Struggling with my head.

Hey all -

I'm a good ways through the C25K program after many months of failing to take charge and get it done. I'm on W6D2, and in for the long haul. I feel like my heart and lungs are healthier now than they ever have been - and they prove it every day I'm at the gym. I can run harder, run faster, and run a greater distance than I ever have before. I have a marathon on my bucket list - and I love that my mentality now is "if I can run 20 minutes, I can run a marathon". I've put "dieting" aside, and am focusing on strength - and I'm finding that I can do so much more than I thought. My body is amazing. Chubby, sure. But amazing.

My problem is my head. I REALLY have to talk myself through the 20 minutes of straight running. Are there any tricks you runners have learned, or use to combat the self-defeating voice within? Does it ever go away? Or get better? I crave the day of running an hour for leisure... but I pray it won't also include an hour of screaming at myself in my head to keep at it, and that I'm almost there. I fear that if I don't find a way to work with it, instead of against it, I'll have to find a different exercise. I just don't have the heart for all the screaming in my head, I guess, lol.

I love running. I don't want to give it up. Is there hope?

ETA: This is my official 1,000th post here at 3FC!!! How appropriate

Last edited by GradPhase; 01-05-2011 at 09:23 PM.
GradPhase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 09:48 PM   #2  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

IGLOOGIRL do you wear an i-pod? I found when I was out there w/o the dogs to take care of, or Angie training with me when we did marathon training, the ticket was being able to focus on something other than the "miles"....

Kind of silly but this is the song I loaded in my i-pod to keep me going..back from my days...a looooong time ago..lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZEMmewFj6k

Last edited by EZMONEY; 01-05-2011 at 09:51 PM.
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 11:05 AM   #3  
Ilene the Bean

I don't wear music anymore because I want to hear every thing around me. So what I do is count 1-2-3, 1-2-3, sometimes out lout too ... it becomes a mantra and it usually goes with my breath and I try to really, really focus on the 1-2-3... I then go into a zone where I suddenly realise I've done several blocks... I've never done marathons or even halfs, I just stick with the 5 or 10Ks....
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 12:15 PM   #4  
Closet health nut!

S/C/G: S268/C170s/G140s

Height: Officially 5'-6"

^ this might be your issue. When I run, even when I'm training, it's my only opportunity to just let my mind wander and not think about the effort it's taking to run. I'm still aware or my form and breathing, I don't want to get injured, and my pace, I want to improve, but in general it's my "me" time.

Some days I feel like I could run forever, but some days my easy 3 miler is a chore. The hardest runs are usually on a treadmill because I hate treadmill running, but sometimes its unavoidable and I can run faster on the treadmill.

Hope you can find a system that works for you, good luck.
ncuneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 02:05 PM   #5  
I'm a SWIMMER!

S/C/G: 209.4/149.2/150

Height: 5'9

I get bored listening to music when I'm running at home (treadmill). While running outdoors, it seems the sounds of nature can sometimes suffice.

That said, I listen to the books of the Bible on my ipod when I'm running. I find the stories fascinating, and during my 1 hour run, I feel like I'm back in time over 2,000 years ago! It's wonderful and also very relaxing.

Last edited by joyfulloser; 01-06-2011 at 02:06 PM.
joyfulloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 02:36 PM   #6  
On a mission

S/C/G: HW280/CW270/GW160

Height: 5'9"

I am really new to this, but even when I am walking around the block or the track, it is the one time I let my mind wander completely! Everything from what I am going to do with my life, to how I am going to spend the lottery money I will win someday! LOL I mean it. I plan the house, the decoration, the places I will visit! When I come back, I am more centered and feel more at peace with my world.... NOW! I have not been able to run 20 minutes straight yet, far from it... maybe things will be different when I am!
vdander24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 02:03 PM   #7  
Just keep breathing!

S/C/G: 191.7/191.7/145

Height: 5'5

I think perhaps the struggle is because it's still so new to me. It's still very difficult - and my mind hasn't "gotten it" that this IS happening! Maybe when I have a few more months under my belt my mind will be able to wander a bit more. I normally do an hour of cardio before running which is when I can listen to all the acoustic music I want, and plan how I intend to save the world (my dream job ). I do run on the treadmill, and counting down the seconds seems to be what keeps me going, for better or worse. "19 more minutes. 18.5 minutes. 18 minutes. 17.5 minutes.." and "Don't stop, don't stop, don't stop".

All the loud music in the world isn't helping me - I can't drown out the other overwhelming voice saying "You've never run this far before, what makes you think that you can? You'll hurt yourself. You should just stop now. Why even bother, since you're just going to quit before the last two minutes? You've made it 18 minutes, that's good enough - you could get away with quitting now and still feel a little good about it.." etcetera etcetera. I just hope it gets easier. I hope that the "twenty minute" mark feels as easy as the "two minute mark" does to me right now, and far less daunting..

I'm definitely going to try the "1, 2, 3.." trick. I think that's way more healthy than staring at the minutes. And Gary - that song is SO. STINKING. GREAT! I love love LOVE it!!

Thanks for the advice ladies and gent. Time to lace up and try again.
GradPhase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 02:28 PM   #8  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

I do not love running! And I think I do not love it for all the reasons you mention. I can't seem to let my mind wander. I think it's because I mostly treadmill run. I'm a wimp outside. There's a narrow window between 50 and 70 degrees where I'm willing to venture out. I can't wait for the day I can run four miles without thinking about it, but that day has not come.

I think I would do better with a running partner, but I don't have one. I like to chat while I do light cardio. With heavy cardio if I can chat I'm not working hard enough. But I think running and chatting would be nice.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote