3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Exercise! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise-34/)
-   -   Should I attempt this 5K?? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise/221353-should-i-attempt-5k.html)

Slim CB 01-05-2011 10:43 AM

Should I attempt this 5K??

I started the C25K a couple of months ago and have been going at my own pace because I also work out at the gym regularly. I therefore could not run 3times a week. I am up to Week 7 day 2 - a 25min run and I am impressed myself. 3 months ago I could not even run for 2 mins straight without feeling like I was going to pass out. I generally run outside but on the odd day I will run on the treadmill. Based on the treadmill I am covering approximately 2.2miles...not close to the 3.1 miles for 1 5K.

I had set a goal from the middle of last year that starting this year I would be running 5Ks frequently. Fortunately where I live, we have them pretty often....averaging 2 per month. The first one is next Saturday (the 15th) and I really want to participate. I am tired of doing the 5K walks, I want to do the 5K runs!

Do you think I should go ahead even though I have not yet completed a personal 5K run?

Shannon in ATL 01-05-2011 10:50 AM

Go for it. Even if you walk some you will have that accomplishment of finishing the race. Also, the adrenaline kicks in during races, so you will likely find yourself being able to run a little further than you expect. Just be careful, listen to yourself and don't push too hard, and have a great time with it. :)

tea2 01-05-2011 10:59 AM

Go for it! You could also do 10 min run, 1 min walk all the way thru, which might make it a bit easier if you are worried about being tired.

peanutt 01-05-2011 11:06 AM

I say go for it too! Run as much as you can, take walking breaks if you have to and just keep going.

MariaMaria 01-05-2011 11:08 AM

You're unlikely to injure yourself, so why not?

joyfulloser 01-05-2011 11:33 AM

I'm with the "why not" crew!:p The worse that can happen is that you have to walk a little to catch your breath...:)

matt_H 01-05-2011 12:54 PM

If you are already doing 2.2 miles, I think you will surprise yourself and finish a 5k distance! I'm with the "go for it!" people here.

You don't have to run fast. Keep your pace slow and enjoy the jog and you will surprise yourself at finishing the race without walking. I know you can do it. You still have 10 days to train a bit more, but definitely take 2 days off to rest before the actual race. :)

Slim CB 01-05-2011 01:55 PM

Thanks for the encouragement guys...deep down I really wanted to go for it...

5K here I come!!!!

Ilene 01-06-2011 10:55 AM

YES go for it!!

tea2 01-06-2011 11:18 AM

Let us know how it went! I am sure you will be pumped! :D

Kimberly2011 01-06-2011 02:31 PM

Slim - I just had to post to tell you how much your Couch to 5k motivates me!! I will be starting the program on Saturday...and llike you - there is no WAY I could run two mins straight (probably not even 1 minute! LOL) without feeling like passing out! To hear that you have surprised yourself in the 7 weeks and are running as much as you are is so encouraging!! I have registered for a 5k on June 4th - so it's nice to see and hear it can be done!!

Slim CB 01-06-2011 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kimberly2011 (Post 3637424)
Slim - I just had to post to tell you how much your Couch to 5k motivates me!! I will be starting the program on Saturday...and llike you - there is no WAY I could run two mins straight (probably not even 1 minute! LOL) without feeling like passing out! To hear that you have surprised yourself in the 7 weeks and are running as much as you are is so encouraging!! I have registered for a 5k on June 4th - so it's nice to see and hear it can be done!!

Hi Kimberly and welcome to 3FC. Believe me the program is very motivating and I am still in shock at what I am able to do. The first time I ran for 20mins straight I burst out in tears because I could not believe that I had really done it!

Kimberly2011 01-06-2011 03:10 PM

I will probably cry, too!! And I just can not WAIT until I can cross that finish line and say "I did it!" :D

Slim CB 01-14-2011 02:11 PM

I have signed up and am rearing to go for my 5K tomorrow! Wish me luck!!!

Kimberly2011 01-14-2011 02:21 PM

Good for you!!!! Good luck! :)