Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 01-02-2011, 01:46 PM   #1  
Looking for Zen

S/C/G: 315/267/180

Height: 5' 10"

Default Strengthening wrists

Here's my deal. Besides having no upper body strength (but thighs/calves of steel!), my wrists are positively wimpy.

I bail out on pushups not because my back/shoulders/upper arms are giving out, but my wrists can't support me. Yoga? Love it, can manage everything, but staying in plank/down dog due to my wrists. Racquetball? I feel like I can't move my wrists for a day after.

Any advice on getting that area stronger? I feel I am seriously hindering my other activities with my weeny wrists.

My husband has been making all the obligatory *naughty* remarks since I brought it up last week. ;>
Jilu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 01:49 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

Height: 5'9"

I found that the only thing that helped was more yoga. Talk to your teacher about it, she may have some suggestions better hand positions for you. And if you have only been doing yoga at home get yourself to a studio - preferably one with Iyengar or Ashtanga teachers, where you'll get good lessons on alignment (not just "hot power yoga slam blast".)
seagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 04:08 PM   #3  

Is it wrist strength or bent-wrist strength/issues that you're having problems with?

If it's the latter, get a mat and try the pushups with your wrists straight, hands in fists. You can adapt almost anything to keep wonky wrists straight, if that's your issue.
MariaMaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 04:40 PM   #4  
Looking for Zen

S/C/G: 315/267/180

Height: 5' 10"

I definitely have a problem with my hands being flat/wrists bent.

I can do pushups on my knuckles or while gripping a dumbbell, and I can do a few more diamond style pushups (you know, thumbs and index fingers touching) than I can with my hands flat.

I don't feel like I have a weak grip as I can manage pull ups.

I just didn't know if there was a way to strengthen my wrists to do "normal" pushups.
Jilu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 04:42 PM   #5  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

I have to agree with seagirl, doing more yoga or pushups is the way to go. And I also agree with her idea of going with a program that really helps with alignment. Much tho I love the hot yoga I do now, I am glad I started with iyengar yoga and got the positions down pat in a safe way, no rushing etc.
I also use a pilates mat, twice as thick, which really helps. You can also use two mats on top of each other. Amazing what a difference it makes.
I used to be quite weak, couldn't hold a down dog or plank.
I can do 2 minutes in pilates class now. Pilates is another good one for improvement, the pilates pushups are amazing, just a few do a lot. Reps are not as important and form.
fatmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 05:34 PM   #6  

Oh, wow, I'd never even thought of using dumbbells for handles for straight-wrist pushups. My knuckles thank you.
MariaMaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 06:45 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

I have very small wrists, and because of that, they are less strong. A yoga instructor corrected my positioning once in downward dog, and told me not to let my wrists hold all of my weight. She said to really spread out my fingers widely, and press into the mat with my fingers, so my fingers and entire hand are also supporting the weight, not just my wrists. The same can be done for plank, pushups, etc.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote