Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Closed Thread

Old 12-23-2010, 02:36 PM   #1  

S/C/G: See Ticker

Height: 5'2"

Default Anyone else feel too fat to go to the gym?

I don't know why but I always feel like I'm being judged by skinny women when I go the the gym (it's just a woman's gym). I feel like I'm too fat to even be there, which I know doesn't make any sense. I haven't been going lately because I always think someone is secretly making fun of me for working out. *sigh* My anxiety about it just sucks.
Old 12-23-2010, 02:41 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 205/205/145

Height: 5'6"

I joined a gym once- a mixed gym. I felt the exact same way. I stopped going because of this. I was so self conscience, although in retrospect, I was probably one of the very few people actually breaking a sweat and doing what I was supposed to do, instead of reading an non chalantly cycling.
Old 12-23-2010, 02:46 PM   #3  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

Oh my gosh, how sad this makes me. The gym has been my best friend since I was 235 pounds! It's how I lost 80! No one's too fat for the gym. That doesn't even make any sense.

I understand...I do...but no one's looking at you funny, trust me. Everyone in the gym is very self-absorbed. The gym is "me time" for everybody. I can almost guarantee you there will be women larger than you if you look around. And no one's looking at them either.
Old 12-23-2010, 02:50 PM   #4  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

I don't feel that way anymore but I used to. If I don't go, I tend to eat much worse. I live in a very body conscious town and my gym is full of very thin women many of whom have perfect bodies. I used to just go in, with my big tshirt and have my music on. I would have to almost tune out the surroundings. All I focused on and thought about was getting on my machine and getting a great workout. It took me a long time to get past this but it did happen. I also can tell you that most people are just really concerned with themselves. If anything, I think they loved it when I showed up because it made them feel good about their situation...obviously not all of them....but some of them. You know how it is when a perfect woman walks in the room? THAT'S when a lot of the women glare at her and resent her for being so darn perfect! That means that they should be delighted if someone who has some weight they want to lose show up.

I really hope you'll go....maybe start by just going for 10 minutes. Then, work up to 15, 20, 30 and so on. If you walk around and smile, that will also send out positive energy. Anyone who judges someone who walks around sending out positiven energy like that will feel like an ***!

Either way, if you decide to shut out the gym or smile at everyone, I really think you should try it out....you may be pleasantly surprised.

Last edited by luckymommy; 12-23-2010 at 02:51 PM.
Old 12-23-2010, 02:53 PM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystalx4 View Post
I joined a gym once- a mixed gym. I felt the exact same way. I stopped going because of this. I was so self conscience, although in retrospect, I was probably one of the very few people actually breaking a sweat and doing what I was supposed to do, instead of reading an non chalantly cycling.
I'm glad I'm not the only one. Reading while cycling or walking makes me sick to my stomach, I don't see how people do it haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliana View Post
Oh my gosh, how sad this makes me. The gym has been my best friend since I was 235 pounds! It's how I lost 80! No one's too fat for the gym. That doesn't even make any sense.

I understand...I do...but no one's looking at you funny, trust me. Everyone in the gym is very self-absorbed. The gym is "me time" for everybody. I can almost guarantee you there will be women larger than you if you look around. And no one's looking at them either.
I agree, it doesn't make sense. It's a completely irrational thought lol.

I'm a very paranoid person, so I sure hope you are right that they are too self-absorbed to notice me. I used to weigh 204 and then I lost 69 pounds..and then gained 23 back. I still feel like I weigh 204. I still see that girl that wore the size 20 jeans, not the one who currently wears size 10.

What you said helped. I'm going to try and get past my paranoia about other people and just try to focus on me and only me while I am there. Thank you!
Old 12-23-2010, 02:57 PM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckymommy View Post
I don't feel that way anymore but I used to. If I don't go, I tend to eat much worse. I live in a very body conscious town and my gym is full of very thin women many of whom have perfect bodies. I used to just go in, with my big tshirt and have my music on. I would have to almost tune out the surroundings. All I focused on and thought about was getting on my machine and getting a great workout. It took me a long time to get past this but it did happen. I also can tell you that most people are just really concerned with themselves. If anything, I think they loved it when I showed up because it made them feel good about their situation...obviously not all of them....but some of them. You know how it is when a perfect woman walks in the room? THAT'S when a lot of the women glare at her and resent her for being so darn perfect! That means that they should be delighted if someone who has some weight they want to lose show up.

I really hope you'll go....maybe start by just going for 10 minutes. Then, work up to 15, 20, 30 and so on. If you walk around and smile, that will also send out positive energy. Anyone who judges someone who walks around sending out positiven energy like that will feel like an ***!

Either way, if you decide to shut out the gym or smile at everyone, I really think you should try it out....you may be pleasantly surprised.
I think I eat worse when I don't work out as well. I must move past my paranoia and just not care if someone is being a jerk. I went for a while but then I just slowly started going less and less until I wasn't going at all.

I'm going to give it another try.. thank you
Old 12-23-2010, 04:38 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 186/150/145

Height: 5'7"

If there are jerks in your gym, you just show them you won't be intimidated. Keep going and keep going and keep going. One day you'll kick their butts! I'm a gym rat, and it's true, that I am so concentrated on myself that unless the roof caves in, I don't know who's doing what. If I notice at all, it's to ROOT for the newbies!
Old 12-23-2010, 04:55 PM   #8  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

I went to a women's only gym at 364 lbs. I liked it other than there seemed to be way too many women walking around naked in the locker room.
Old 12-23-2010, 04:56 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 302/ticker/175

Height: 5'5"

Yeah, I started going to my gym (the YMCA) at 302lbs - so I'd have to say NO!
Old 12-23-2010, 05:37 PM   #10  
Hi there!

S/C/G: Ticker

Height: 5' 5"

I felt the exact same way when I started going - I was really paranoid about others watching and judging me. I even started a thread on it. That's where I got a lot of great advice.

I even go to a college gym, so there's lots of skinny-skinny chicks (which I am not, lol!). No one even glances at anyone else, most times. If they do it's just to see if a machine is free.

I say go to the gym, get moving, have a good time, and forget about the other people. You're doing this for you - make it happen.
Old 12-24-2010, 08:17 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 222/151/155

Height: 6'1''

I want to cry every time I see overweight women at my gym - OUT OF PRIDE AND HAPPINESS FOR THEM! Most people love to see other people taking control of their health - it's motivating! Believe me, they're not judging the people who are sweating their fat off at the gym. They're judging the people at Chile's who are eating plates full of fries and desserts and then complaining that they can't lose weight.
Old 12-24-2010, 09:27 AM   #12  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatethesweatpants View Post
I want to cry every time I see overweight women at my gym - OUT OF PRIDE AND HAPPINESS FOR THEM! Most people love to see other people taking control of their health - it's motivating! Believe me, they're not judging the people who are sweating their fat off at the gym. They're judging the people at Chile's who are eating plates full of fries and desserts and then complaining that they can't lose weight.
That is so true. I was visiting a gym a few months ago (different state) and I saw a girl that was well over 300 lbs, maybe close to or over 400 lbs. I wanted so much to go up to her and say 'you go girl, I was where you are at before' but then I wasn't sure how she'd take it. So I was silently cheering her on.
Old 12-24-2010, 09:56 AM   #13  
I'm a SWIMMER!

S/C/G: 209.4/149.2/150

Height: 5'9

Well..I'm a bit self conscious! I HATE Gyms....

I used to belong to a big CHAIN type gym in New York City. It was soooo competitive and yes, the girls were always looking at you in a judgmental way...and the guys were looking to score! It was a like a "meat market". It was a like a dance club without the dancing! I could never focus on myself or getting the MOST out of my workout. I needed a place where I could give that UGLY FACE while grunting, without the back thought of someone glaring at my mug.

Solution? Home gym...YEAHHHH!

*EDIT* - Oh and I absolutely LOATH waiting for machines..LOATH IT!

Last edited by joyfulloser; 12-24-2010 at 10:01 AM.
Old 12-24-2010, 10:58 AM   #14  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatethesweatpants View Post
Absolutely! I feel the same way.
Old 12-24-2010, 02:10 PM   #15  
I'M WORKING ON IT

S/C/G: 205/ticker/127

Height: 5'3"

I totally understand what you mean... but nobody is to fat for the gym, THAT'S WHAT THE GYM IS FOR!
I mean yes it's intimidating, very much so. All the gym bunnies and the skinny girls. Trust me I've been discouraged from going to the gym before, I felt the shame and the discomfort, and was always paranoid that people are making fun of me (I realize that comes from being made fun of constantly for my weight my entire teenage life, not really from recent experiences) and it might want to pull you away from the door, but once you've made it inside it's fine... Having your music and being in your own bubble really helps. I really try not to pay attention to anyone else in the gym, and I'm only hoping nobody is paying attention to me.
You're doing this for you, not for anybody else
Good luck!!
Closed Thread