Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 12-22-2010, 03:37 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 204/201/126

Height: 5'0

Question Maybe a silly question but...

I am 210lbs (at 5' nuthin!) and want to lose 80lbs (sort of rough idea). I want to do this in a way that means i'm not only losing weight, but getting fit and healthy as well..
I have a few exercise things at home, 5lb dumbells, yoga mat, few workout dvds, gym ball and a bunch of other exercise things gathering dust. I cant afford to go to the gym and i dont feel ready (yet, maybe one day!) to go running outside! I was wondering whether i should do exercise everyday and for how long, or alternate days off and that. Also does anyone know of any website or anything where i can make a workout program with my equipment?!
I have the 30ds and am so scared of doing it but i hear you can get some good results?! Should i go for that? Is it ok to miss days for that?!
Anyway i'm sorry i know thats a LOT of questions and if you took the time to read that thank you
Jessica x
fattofab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 03:47 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 172.8/168/145 maybe?

Height: 5'2

Hi jess,
No it's not a lot of questions it's someone searching for information to make this a life long journey.

You can make a program or you can do as you feel.

New Rules for Lifting for women is a good book.

I believe if you look in most prevention magazines,they all have programs even the shape magazine, always giving exercise programs.

I also have 30 day shred and I don't do it. I could not do it all. So, I do it when my head says so, which hasn't come up lately. lol

not sure if this will work but jillian has some d/l programs, maybe try this.

http://www.jillianmichaels.com/

here's a stretching web site, you can download a program http://www.shelterpub.com/_fitness/_...C_wt_mgmt.html

here is something else I found
http://www.fitclick.com/www/xnt/tf/p...Fac65QodmT6KAw

and most of all, make it fun. If you don't want to do it, you won't.

Just keep asking, keep doing something. It does not have to be the same dvd every day.

Even exercise TV has some stuff to try out.

netflix has videos you can try out.

The library has some also.
tytbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 04:00 PM   #3  
I'm a SWIMMER!

S/C/G: 209.4/149.2/150

Height: 5'9

I would recommend starting nice and easy! Anything that get's you moving and get's your heartrate up. Maybe a video with 15 min. increments...so as you improve you can use an "advanced" workout or something.

Remember...it's not how much you can do in a day...it's how many DAYS you can do it for! Much success!
joyfulloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 04:11 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 290/ticker/150

Height: 5'5"

I have a similar situation and don't feel I'm ready for the gym (or that I can make that investment yet). I have a treadmill, swiss ball and a set of 5lb weights. I committed myself to walking a mile and usually do it at least 4x a week. From there I move to my ball and do crunches. Then I do a variety of arm weight moves - total time is about 30-40 min. I can see/feel results for all my efforts. I know this isn't much, but it doesn't give me excuses for not finding the time and it really does make a difference. So JUST DO IT. You'll feel the differences in no time and be happy you started. Jody
jls0867 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 05:07 PM   #5  
Le geek, c'est chic

S/C/G: 232/see ticker/150ish

Height: 5'2" and change

Those aren't silly questions at all.

It's fantastic that you have such a nice variety of stuff available to keep you motivated and interested in working out. Don't let any of it gather dust; play with it all!

I exercise almost every day (maybe three days off a month, on average), but I don't do the same exercise every day. I've read that lifting weights is best done every other day so that muscle fibers have a chance to repair and rebuild in between workouts; I stick to that. Walking is about the only thing I do daily; some days it's the only thing I do, other days it's combined with stationary biking or lifting.

Youtube is full of videos about how to use particular equipment, how to design a workout program, how to maintain proper form while lifting, and so forth. It's an awesome resource for folks who don't want to or can't afford to go to a gym.

As for 30DS, I hear good things about it from some and "OMG, not for me!" from others. I say try it, but if it feels way over your head, don't beat yourself up about it. A lot of fitness videos are designed for people who are starting out fairly fit already, so if you've been somewhat sedentary, you may find some videos really tough to keep up with at first.

When I find something I can't yet do, I get frustrated for about half an hour, then set that thing as a goal. When I first got my stationary bike, I couldn't ride for more than five minutes (totally sedentary lifestyle plus thirty years of smoking that I recently quit meant absolutely NO stamina). I carped and moaned about not being able to do it, but a month later I was going for a full thirty minutes. That was my goal and I met it.
Nola Celeste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 05:15 PM   #6  

That is good to know. I know I feel defeated when I cant finish a video so I say get the beginner ones, but don't trust all of YouTube. You can also learn bad form on there.
Old 12-22-2010, 05:22 PM   #7  
Le geek, c'est chic

S/C/G: 232/see ticker/150ish

Height: 5'2" and change

True, you do need to do a little comparison-shopping on Youtube to find the better videos. There are some know-nothings out there.

Heh, I stay away from videos for now because for all my good intentions of declaring finishing them a goal, my initial response to not being able to finish them is to stamp my feet and cry like I'm three.
Nola Celeste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 05:25 PM   #8  

They can make us act like that for sure.