Running in the rain?

• I recently moved from a very dry, warm area to a very rainy area. I really dislike my treadmill so I'd like to go back to running outside.

The very idea of running in the rain does not sound very fun. I tried it a couple of times and didn't like it much. What should I wear so that I don't feel totally drenched when I'm through?

And I run in Vibram Five Fingers KSOs which are not waterproof. When I wear them in the rain, my feel get very clammy and pruny. Should I choose a different shoe, or just deal with it?
  • When it rains-
    I wear a long sleeve tech shirt and tech pants and a reflective vest if I run at night. I used to wear a jacket or vest but it retained to much heat and I would sweat to death. Since I was getting wet anyway I ditched the jacket for a long sleeve shirt. I wear and older pair of running shoes when there is a chance my shoes will get soaked.
  • what about a rain jacket or type of gear with a hood?
  • The only real changes I make for rain are (a) a cap or visor to keep the rain off my face, (b) waterproof pocket or plastic baggie or whatever for the MP3 player, and (c) wearing a colored, not white, tee.
  • Thanks for your responses. I agree that ditching the jacket is likely a good idea, especially since it realy feels bulky. And I'll add in a hat as well.

I'm thinking about adding in some winter running tights but I'm really afraid of how they're going to look.
  • I ran in the rain last week and it wasn't that bad. I'd take running in the rain over running in the freezing cold any day