Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 12-09-2010, 12:21 PM   #1  
Knowing I'm worth it!

S/C/G: 250/see ticker/150

Height: 5'7"

Question Nintendo Wii

I'm sure the topic of the Wii has been done to death but I can't seem to make the search function give me the info I want. So, I'm here to ask a few questions, and if there are links already telling me what I need to know, if someone could please post them.

I'm thinking about buying the Wii and giving up my gym membership. I spend close to $450 a year for the gym membership, not to mention the time it takes to drive there and back. I love my gym, but I'm wondering if working out at home could continue to give the results I need to lose my weight.

Questions:

1. If you have the Wii do you feel it can, or does, give you the cardio workout that an elliptical or treadmill gives?

2. Is the Wii user friendly and will I get bored and need to contiually buy new games?

3. If I did buy the Wii what games would you recommend? I'm thinking about the Wii Fitness Plus, The Biggest Loser, and (or) Zumba. I understand the dancing ones are lots of fun and seem to give a good workout.

Any advice or comments will be greatly appreciated. I feel like I'm in a foreign land trying to find stuff out about this product.
Teresa66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 01:03 PM   #2  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

One thing I recommend is buying a used Wii. My husband and I just got one for $120 used at Gamestop and we paid $20 for a one year warranty.

My feelings are mixed about the Wii- yes you will be moving on the Wii but I don't think it can always compare to a hardcore workout. THOUGH I am definitely planning on getting one of the biggest loser games on my wii

Also if you have cable and OnDemand in the freezone there are tons of FREE workout videos- biggest loser ones also- I have done a few and liked them
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 01:44 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 205/184/145

Height: 5'6"

I bought one, used it very well for about a month then just quit. I need the motivation that the gym gives me. Once I get there I'm golden, but having it at home I just don't use it. Same with exercise tapes and the treadmill we eventually sold. I am blessed with a free gym membership though.
shelle58704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 05:37 PM   #4  
Naturally Curvy

S/C/G: 264/259.9/164

Height: 5'6"

1. If you have the Wii do you feel it can, or does, give you the cardio workout that an elliptical or treadmill gives?

I think it's better than a treadmill, definitely. As for an elliptical... Well, I can last about five minutes on an elliptical before I'm puffed, whereas I get a lovely one-hour variety workout that leaves me drenched on the Wii. I'll take the extended time and variety any way.

2. Is the Wii user friendly and will I get bored and need to contiually buy new games?

I think it's definitely user friendly. When I got mine, I bought Wii Fit Plus, Wii Sports Resort and EA Fitness. Resort is fun with the husband because we swordfight and such, but I haven't moved on to EA Fitness from Fit Plus yet. I would definitely recommend you looking into EA, though, because it's more realistic in regards to having a trainer right there urging you on.

3. If I did buy the Wii what games would you recommend?

I've found that the three games I mentioned are a good place to start. I don't know your fitness level, but I was a gym goer a couple years back and these games give me all I need: fun, variety and support (in regards to EA and the 'trainer'). Fit Plus is good because it'll track your weight, but EA is good because you can form custom workouts from a lot more moves (even though you can't track your weight with EA).

Sports Resort is just fun, though, so you could skip that one and pick up a dancing one.

In the end, I bought a Wii because it fit my personality (I work from home, I get bored with walking, don't run, etc) and even on rainy/cold/whatever days, it's always there. No excuses. But it's very much a machine that you get out of it what you put into it.
JMSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 06:00 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 160/166/130

Height: 5' 2.5"

The Wii IS user friendly and I think the dance games will take a while to get through all the songs (been playing Dance Central for over 3 weeks and still have a LONG way to go before I finish it).

3. If I did buy the Wii what games would you recommend? I'm thinking about the Wii Fitness Plus, The Biggest Loser, and (or) Zumba. I understand the dancing ones are lots of fun and seem to give a good workout.
HIGHLY recommend the dancing games. Go to Gamestop's website and read reviews on all the Wii dance games to see which are best, but I think Just Dance and Zumba are good. Dance Central is great, but don't know if its on Wii. Zumba on Wii got good reviews
ferretgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 06:20 PM   #6  
Knowing I'm worth it!

S/C/G: 250/see ticker/150

Height: 5'7"

Thanks for all the great advice and answers to my questions. I'm in the early stages of research since my gym membership isn't up until February. I just don't want to invest so much money into something I won't like or won't work me out like I'm used to at the gym. I do like the idea of variety and I do love to dance.
Teresa66 is offline   Reply With Quote