Nintendo Wii

• I'm sure the topic of the Wii has been done to death but I can't seem to make the search function give me the info I want. So, I'm here to ask a few questions, and if there are links already telling me what I need to know, if someone could please post them.

I'm thinking about buying the Wii and giving up my gym membership. I spend close to $450 a year for the gym membership, not to mention the time it takes to drive there and back. I love my gym, but I'm wondering if working out at home could continue to give the results I need to lose my weight.

Questions:

1. If you have the Wii do you feel it can, or does, give you the cardio workout that an elliptical or treadmill gives?

2. Is the Wii user friendly and will I get bored and need to contiually buy new games?

3. If I did buy the Wii what games would you recommend? I'm thinking about the Wii Fitness Plus, The Biggest Loser, and (or) Zumba. I understand the dancing ones are lots of fun and seem to give a good workout.

Any advice or comments will be greatly appreciated. I feel like I'm in a foreign land trying to find stuff out about this product.
  • One thing I recommend is buying a used Wii. My husband and I just got one for $120 used at Gamestop and we paid $20 for a one year warranty.

My feelings are mixed about the Wii- yes you will be moving on the Wii but I don't think it can always compare to a hardcore workout. THOUGH I am definitely planning on getting one of the biggest loser games on my wii

Also if you have cable and OnDemand in the freezone there are tons of FREE workout videos- biggest loser ones also- I have done a few and liked them
  • I bought one, used it very well for about a month then just quit. I need the motivation that the gym gives me. Once I get there I'm golden, but having it at home I just don't use it. Same with exercise tapes and the treadmill we eventually sold. I am blessed with a free gym membership though.
  • 1. If you have the Wii do you feel it can, or does, give you the cardio workout that an elliptical or treadmill gives?

I think it's better than a treadmill, definitely. As for an elliptical... Well, I can last about five minutes on an elliptical before I'm puffed, whereas I get a lovely one-hour variety workout that leaves me drenched on the Wii. I'll take the extended time and variety any way.

2. Is the Wii user friendly and will I get bored and need to contiually buy new games?

I think it's definitely user friendly. When I got mine, I bought Wii Fit Plus, Wii Sports Resort and EA Fitness. Resort is fun with the husband because we swordfight and such, but I haven't moved on to EA Fitness from Fit Plus yet. I would definitely recommend you looking into EA, though, because it's more realistic in regards to having a trainer right there urging you on.

3. If I did buy the Wii what games would you recommend?

I've found that the three games I mentioned are a good place to start. I don't know your fitness level, but I was a gym goer a couple years back and these games give me all I need: fun, variety and support (in regards to EA and the 'trainer'). Fit Plus is good because it'll track your weight, but EA is good because you can form custom workouts from a lot more moves (even though you can't track your weight with EA).

Sports Resort is just fun, though, so you could skip that one and pick up a dancing one.

In the end, I bought a Wii because it fit my personality (I work from home, I get bored with walking, don't run, etc) and even on rainy/cold/whatever days, it's always there. No excuses. But it's very much a machine that you get out of it what you put into it.
  • 2. Is the Wii user friendly and will I get bored and need to contiually buy new games?
    The Wii IS user friendly and I think the dance games will take a while to get through all the songs (been playing Dance Central for over 3 weeks and still have a LONG way to go before I finish it).

3. If I did buy the Wii what games would you recommend? I'm thinking about the Wii Fitness Plus, The Biggest Loser, and (or) Zumba. I understand the dancing ones are lots of fun and seem to give a good workout.
    HIGHLY recommend the dancing games. Go to Gamestop's website and read reviews on all the Wii dance games to see which are best, but I think Just Dance and Zumba are good. Dance Central is great, but don't know if its on Wii. Zumba on Wii got good reviews
  • Thanks for all the great advice and answers to my questions. I'm in the early stages of research since my gym membership isn't up until February. I just don't want to invest so much money into something I won't like or won't work me out like I'm used to at the gym. I do like the idea of variety and I do love to dance.