Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 12-07-2010, 09:27 AM   #16  

S/C/G: 185/ticker/125

Height: 5'4"

When I started running I lost weight rapidly and steadily. Before that, I had been using the elliptical for a few months and even at a very high intensity, I didn't feel the same exertion as when I was running - and I didn't lose any weight! Of course everyone's body is different, but for me running was much more effective despite the elliptical saying that I had burned 600 calories or something crazy in a workout.
cheryl126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 01:15 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 187.4/176.8/155

Height: 5'7.5"

Weight loss begins in the kitchen. When my mileage went up, so did my appetite, it is *so* easy to eat back what you've burned. The weight didn't drop off until I was tight again about my food. The good news is that even though the scale didn't move much, the inches have.
Becky Quilts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 04:24 PM   #18  
Back at It!

S/C/G: 238/220/170

Height: 5'4 1/2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliana View Post
Jojo, I don't trust the calorie counts on the machines. It tells me I burn the same calories at 2.5 on a 0% incline as 2.5 on a 10% incline. My lungs tell me otherwise! Not to mention they're just plain inaccurate as we are all different and most machines are calibrated to your AVERAGE athlete.

Also this makes me think of Darius from last season's Biggest Loser. After running the marathon with a really commendable time, he came back to the ranch having gained weight, like four pounds I think. Everyone was stunned. But he was eating to train and running puts a lot of stress on the body. The body doesn't like stress.
A very good point. I noticed that even when I stopped for a few seconds on the epiliptical that the calories were still going. I also feel like I am working harder on the treadmill running than on the epiliptical trainer. It is hard to gauge on these machines. Is there something I can wear (monitor) to know how many I actually burned?
Jojo381972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 04:28 PM   #19  
Back at It!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MindiV View Post
I haven't gained weight, but my pants have started fitting tighter since I've been running more. I also burn fewer calories than when I do just the elliptical. I've started varying my workouts some, with elliptical, lower body strength training and abs on Tuesdays and Thursdays and a combo of the elliptical, bike and treadmill with upper body strength training Monday, Wednesday and Fridays.

I agree with you that varying your cardio helps tremendously. It challenges the body and we use different muscles with different exercises. I love the bike, and epiliptical.

Inches as others mentioned is a good indication. I used to never weigh myself and just go by how my pants fit. I definitely notice that weight training combined with the cardio makes a huge difference in inches. Although, diet is key. I always feel it when I eat wrong. I think the more weight I lose the more I notice when I gain easier..if that makes any sense.
Old 12-07-2010, 08:20 PM   #20  
Just keep breathing!

S/C/G: 191.7/191.7/145

Height: 5'5

I hate hearing that diet is key. It's the hardest part.
GradPhase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 09:37 PM   #21  

S/C/G: 183/166/135

Height: 5'6"

I have to say that running basically did not a whole lot for me, weight wise. It helped me maintain and fit in a smaller size jeans, but my weight stayed the same.

I found WAY more benefits body-shape and weight-wise from hot yoga. But I think every body is completely different so.........

~BreathingSpace~
BreathingSpace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 01:57 PM   #22  
Half Marathoner!!!

S/C/G: A bunch/ticker/140

Height: 5'5''

I def gotta get back to running! It's just a snowy cold mess outside and treadmill running gets old quick....gotta load up the good old ipod and just suck it up.

and jojo- a bodybugg or gowearfit will monitor accurately how many calories u burned.
EveLHaelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 12:35 AM   #23  
Back at It!

^It is hard to run in the cold for sure! Best of luck! Thanks for the information. Do you have either of those? I was just checking online about the bodybugg. It looks like you have to get it online.

BreathingSpace, I've heard hot yoga is a great workout and sweat out! I'll have to try it sometime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eskinomad View Post
I hate hearing that diet is key. It's the hardest part.
Yes, indeed.
Old 12-13-2010, 12:04 AM   #24  
Closet health nut!

S/C/G: S268/C170s/G140s

Height: Officially 5'-6"

I've lost 45 lbs this year with diet and running AND strength training. My weight loss did seem to slow down when I was training for my half marathon. But nothing has transformed my body the running has.
ncuneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 04:22 PM   #25  

S/C/G: 210/173/128

Height: 5'0"

I have to agree that Running really does melt off the pounds. I gained some weight as a teenager after being put on some medication. I decided to start running on my parents treadmill. The weight melted off quite fast and I didn't change my diet a whole lot either. Given at 16 I am sure my metabolism was pretty good. But, I felt better everywhere. My body looked the best when I ran everyday for an hour.
My goal is to do that again. One step at a time..
FunSize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 05:53 PM   #26  

I hope y'all will forgive me for dredging up this thread from the depths of last month, but I found it very interesting to read the varying ideas here... I'm almost a total beginner when it comes to running (I've done other cardio for about a year, but no running, although I used to run a little when I was in my 30s).. anyway, I've just joined the local running club & want to start training for a 5K on April 23... is my goal reasonable, going from zero to 5K in 3 months?.. my motivation is the accomplishment of the goal, but I'll also be glad for any fat loss... thanks for your input!..

hugs
Aunt Sheshie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 06:10 PM   #27  

S/C/G: 173/152.2/130

Height: 5’7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Sheshie View Post
I hope y'all will forgive me for dredging up this thread from the depths of last month, but I found it very interesting to read the varying ideas here... I'm almost a total beginner when it comes to running (I've done other cardio for about a year, but no running, although I used to run a little when I was in my 30s).. anyway, I've just joined the local running club & want to start training for a 5K on April 23... is my goal reasonable, going from zero to 5K in 3 months?.. my motivation is the accomplishment of the goal, but I'll also be glad for any fat loss... thanks for your input!..

hugs
Totally doable! try the "couch to 5k” program to ease you in to running: http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

careful w your knees and hips, and stretch a lot!
shasha12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 06:21 PM   #28  

Quote:
Originally Posted by shasha12 View Post
Totally doable! try the "couch to 5k” program to ease you in to running: http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

careful w your knees and hips, and stretch a lot!
Thanks shasha12!.. I had already checked the C-to-5K site, but glad to have your recommendation... & thanks for the reminder about knees & hips & stretching...

hugs

P.S. I forgot to mention, I already do yoga & kettlebells... I've been getting my cardio on my old NordicTrack ski machine, but it's agonizingly boring!.. I'm ready to get outside, even if it's still cold out there...

Last edited by Aunt Sheshie; 01-23-2011 at 06:31 PM.
Old 01-23-2011, 06:30 PM   #29  

S/C/G: 173/152.2/130

Height: 5’7"

I’m 27 and have knee/hip problems and have to stretch constantly to be able to run. It’s second nature for me to advise ppl to stretch lol! C25K is a good program. It should be easy for ya if you’ve been doing cardio for a year now. Good luck!
shasha12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 06:37 PM   #30  

Quote:
Originally Posted by shasha12 View Post
I’m 27 and have knee/hip problems and have to stretch constantly to be able to run. It’s second nature for me to advise ppl to stretch lol! C25K is a good program. It should be easy for ya if you’ve been doing cardio for a year now. Good luck!
Well, kiddo, I'm considerably older than you -- 61... I've been semi-athletic off & on throughout my life, but until a year ago, hadn't really been listening to my body to know what it really needs... I'm gonna see if it likes running!.. I already know it likes to move more...

hugs