I have a horrible sinus infection right now...allergies + LA smog + LA dryness = 102F fever.
Here is my typical allergy relief process:
- if you have sinus pain or pressure, take Sudafed every 4-6h! I dont typically advise meds, but if you let your sinuses stay conjested the risk of infection goes way up (as done the general healing time). plus, if you let the sinus conjection develop into post-nasal drip you will get a sore throat and that hurts!
- if you a fever above 100 take advil and tylenol (alternate, do not double up!)
- sinus irrigation, yes the dreaded Netti Pot. I know its totally nasty, but if you have allergens up there this is really the only quick way to help get them out. its pretty easy, takes only a few mins. i do this daily when my allergies are inflamed
- hydrate until you cant hydrate anymore! especially with a fever, but ever without a fever your sinus cavaties will be in better shape the thinner the mucus is, hydrating facilitates that
- exercise only if you dont have a fever and you feel up to it. you likely felt better immediately after because working out release epinephrine into the blood stream (this is why some people get a mild runny nose when working out, even when they arent sick at all)
- keep up the vitamins and food intake, dont want the immune system to get run down while you are trying to recover!
disclaimer: my fever is still too high to know if im making any sense, apologies if this post is nonsense