Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 11-23-2010, 11:16 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 155/ 129 /120

Height: 5'7"

Default Winter-wear?

I'd like to start running...walking...MOVING! every morning this winter. Not necessarily to burn calories, but to get my body in a healthy mindset early on in the day & to also help curb my mood(I'm bi-polar, most of the time on the depressed side of it). Up until now I have done all my winter exercise indoors, but this year I think my depression could use some fresh air.

So what do you wear to be able to sweat, stay warm, yet not too bulky like typical winter-wear?
hippy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 03:02 AM   #2  
Happy Plodder

S/C/G: 238/158.9/138

Height: 5'2"

I'm certainly finding being outside is helping my seasonal depression. So far, I just wear whatever I had on inside, with a hooded coat over the top. It has a zip and then a velcro placket over, the hood toggles shut under my chin, so that I look like a nun (yea right) and the zip goes right up the collar to my nose. It's waterproof and windproof, and it has an inner lining that means I don't get sweaty and plasticky.

I appreciate the north of England probably doesn't get the weather of Saskatchewan but I went for fairly simple clothes that I could wear on another occasions. I didn't want the added pressure of buying sports kit.
Rosinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 09:34 PM   #3  

Basically what you're looking for is base layer to wick sweat; warmth layer next; then something to cut wind and/or snow/rain/sleet/whatever. The specifics of what you choose are personal, both in terms of what your weather is and in terms of how warm you like to be when you're working out. For running, a reasonable starting point is to dress to be comfortable at 20 degrees (edit: Farenheit) warmer than it actually is--adjust that for how warm or cool you like to be. For walking, you'd dress warmer.

All the big athletic wear companies make stuff that would work for this. I personally find SportHill's product line particularly easy to understand because they label by temperature.

Last edited by MariaMaria; 11-24-2010 at 09:35 PM.
MariaMaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 02:37 PM   #4  
Sippin' the Kool-Aid

S/C/G: 235/201/175

Just layers, with a good shell on the outside, so I can peel off some if needed. Gloves, a hat...try warm socks or cool socks, depends on your footwear and what feels right once you get moving. Where I live, wool socks get too hot for running, but just for walking, they are good.
jamsk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 06:10 PM   #5  
Owned by Dixie

Height: 5'4"

I highly recommend a waterproof hiking type shoe/low boot. I like the insulated llbeen and Merrill. I walk outside all winter. Layers are great as I usually get warm but really sweat.
L144S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 07:12 PM   #6  
2 chins down, 1 to go

S/C/G: 387/228/175

Height: 5'6

I get warm easily, especially when I'm walking/jogging with my dog so I almost always wear the same thing - a puffy insulated vest over a thin hoodie over a camisole tank - this way if I get too warm, I can take a layer off or roll up the sleeves of the hoodie.

I also cannot recommend wool socks enough. I love my pair from Costco and I'm also a fan of SmartWool if you can find them discounted somewhere.
ShesLosingIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 01:59 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 230/210/150

Height: 5'1"

Anything I wear is wicking. Keeps you warm and dry. Nothing worse than being cold or hot and WET! There are no workout clothes I wear that not wicking, even down to undies.

I wear running shorts, workout pants, and a tank or tshirt, then a warm up over that. You should be a little chilly when you start, otherwise, you'll get too hot. so don't be comfy when you start. I like Under Armour, Danskin, and Lands End workout pants.
Ursula745 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 10:47 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 155/ 129 /120

thanks for the suggestions!
hippy27 is offline   Reply With Quote