Exercising through the AAAAAAACHHHOOO

• Hi everybody

What are your thoughts on this? Basically I've had a sore throat/cold, which kind of progressed to a chest infection - for about two weeks now - longest I've ever been sick. I'm not prone to getting sick much these days so it's getting on my last nerve that it's been so long now.

5/6 days out of every week I do a class, sometimes two a day, and if I don't make a class then I go to the gym or out for a power walk. I hate missing exercise. I also thought, it can only help this bad cold surely? Surely I'm sweating it out, and the cardio is helping? So since I've been sick I've been exercising most days, Spinning, Box fit, Zumba, Walking.

My Mum told me to stay away from the gym as more exercise will only run me down and then there's the possibility of a chest infection getting worse, pneumonia worse.

What do you all think? I have a box fit class tonight and I'm not sure if I should go, or just stay in...
  • *They* (whoever that is ) say that if it's a head cold, go ahead, but if it's in the chest, rest up! If your body is fighting an infection, your temp might be up bit, and it's not good to stress your body then.

I found some info: it is about running, but it could apply to any intense cardio: http://www.runnersworld.com/article/...9082-0,00.html
  • I've got a head and throat thing at the moment - feels like a raging cold, bit of a temperature but no runny nose, odd.

My only exercise is walking, and I'm keeping that up. I personally wouldn't go to a gym for fear of spreading it around.
  • Yes, the last thing I want to do is spread it around. tea2, that's sensible advice. I think seeing as how it's now a chest infection I should stay in tonight, the box fit class is pretty tough - intense interval training and cardio. I don't even have the energy for it that I normally do so I guess my body is telling me to leave it this time.
  • Depends on how you feel. I've had colds before (don't really get too many) where a good cardio session helped me breath better. That said, I've also have more severe congestion wherein exercise made it worse.

However you decide, please do not go to a public place (like a gym) sick as you will only spread it around to other people. I'd try something at "home" if I felt up to it.
  • Thanks, you're right I'll quarantine myself at home, away from other people for the evening and hopefully I'll start to get better with bed rest.

Thanks guys