Walking 1/2 Marathon

• Hello,

I am "training" for a hypothetical 1/2 marathon (I have not yet actually committed to any marathon). I cannot run on the advice of surgeon who did my hip replacement. My walking speed has increased from a 20-minute mile to an 18-minute mile. I am NOT confident that I can get much beyond this.

In my training, I am up to walking 8 miles this week. Up until now, my longest walk has been 85 minutes. I figure that 8 miles will take me about 2.5 hours.

Here is my question - is there a minimum speed that one needs to walk to engage in a 1/2 marathon? If so, what is it?

Lynn
  • Do you have a particular event in mind? They generally post the time limit on their event page. For example, the Philadelphia Rock n Roll Half Marathon has a cut off time of 4 hours which equates to about 3.3 MPH pace at the minimum.
  • Quote: Do you have a particular event in mind? They generally post the time limit on their event page. For example, the Philadelphia Rock n Roll Half Marathon has a cut off time of 4 hours which equates to about 3.3 MPH pace at the minimum.
    Hi Nelie,

Thank you. I did not realize that different events had different minimums. My DD ran the Philly Rock n Roll half - did you?

Lynn