Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 11-07-2010, 07:44 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 298/238...285.5/217/150

Height: 5'5"

Default Wall squats?

When starting out with this exercise, what duration and rep should I do? What should I aspire to?

I can do 15 seconds before my knees start to quiver and felt I was done! after 4 reps. I rested for 15 seconds in between. That doesn't seem very good but I have no experience to judge by. Should I go back after the set of four and try four more? How much rest time between sets?
DixC Chix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 08:04 PM   #2  
I CAN do this!

S/C/G: 230/179/160

Height: 5'4.5

these are challenging even for very in shape athletes. we used to do them as part of track practice. starting out i would just do like you are doing. try to stay as long as you can. you can try to shift the weight slightly from one leg to the other. try to think about something else. the rest period depends alot on the person. you might try doing a few in the morning, and a few more later in the day. it's one of those anywhere exercises.

i'm guessing you are already doing regular squats? you might also try lunges and lateral lunges. also called side lunges. and speed skaters. it's a sort of hopping side to side with your feet spread apart. the traditional squat, lunges, and wall squats all work your muscles in similar ways. you are moving up and down. then the side/lateral lunge and speed skaters work your muscles going side to side. believe me this makes a difference! the first time i did these i got major doms, after doing squats/lunges regularly for months and months. so as with everything, try your best, but look out for those doms, which i actually look forward to usually, but certain muscles make it hard to sit down lol.

so anyway, don't sweat it even hard core athlets moan about how hard wall squats are lol.
katy trail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 08:45 PM   #3  

Thanks so much Katy Trail.

Um,....what are doms???
Old 11-07-2010, 09:00 PM   #4  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness.

(When you get up the next morning & hurt so badly, you can't squat down to sit on the toilet.)
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 09:05 PM   #5  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

One of my favorite exercises! I think what you're doing is great and that you should add 5ish seconds every week.

Me? I love to run up and down the stairs for 3:00, do 20 squats and then wall sit for 3:00. I do this sequence across three sets. Those wall sits are the longest three minutes of my life and each set is worse than the last!!
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 10:32 PM   #6  

Quote:
Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness
Thanks Saef!

Oh yeaaaaahhhh, been there recently with the regular squats. Don't want to do that again.

Eliana - Geez-Louise! I cannot even imagine doing all that! Thanks for the +5seconds every week suggestion. I think I can do that.