3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Exercise! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise-34/)
-   -   Need help or inspiration: To get a personal trainer or NOT? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise/216587-need-help-inspiration-get-personal-trainer-not.html)

Harsdottir 11-04-2010 03:17 PM

Need help or inspiration: To get a personal trainer or NOT?

Hi everyone.

I have dieted and exercised my way down to 204.
The lower I get the harder it is to lose weight. I find myself taking 2 weeks to lose 1 pound.

my eating habits slipped a bit.
I sometimes do 1800-1900 calories a day, instead of my necessary 1500.

A personal trainer told me that he could "kick start my metabolism, by doing harder and new routines"

The thing is I have always done varying routines. I vary between squats, dead lifts, elliptical, treadmill jogging, rowing, stairs, planks, leg lifts, crunches, weight training, etc.

I just don't see the progress I used to see.
I used to think personal trainers were a rip-off scam and that I could lose weight on my own. I have been successful so far, but less so.

Should I up for a personal trainer?
How many of you have personal trainers?
How much weight have you lose with your trainer?
Do you think having a trainer is better than going it alone?
What did you do to kick start your metabolism/exercise regime?

Thanks In advance
Harsdottir

SCraver 11-04-2010 03:31 PM

Depends... You could always try one out and see what you think. And they are not all created equal.

My sister and now BIL have had one for the last year. I got to work out with them a few times. I do get new work out routines at my gym from one of the trainers every 6 - 8 weeks. If your gym offers this, this might be an option.

I wouldn't know what to do with myself if the trainer at the gym wasn't giving me routines. I like that I get a routine and I can do it for a while and see improvements. And then just about when I am almost bored, I get a new routine! I joined my gym a year ago and have lost about 28 lbs. I am not very strict with my plan.

If she didn't tell me what to do, I wouldn't have a clue. I think my sister and her hubby worked out harder/more often because of their trainer.

Strength training (aka lifting heavy things) is a great way to burn calories. Not only do you burn while you are doing them, but you KEEP burning even after words. And for cardio, intervals are great. (ie. one minute fast, one minute slow, repeat)

mkroyer 11-04-2010 04:14 PM

personally, i would be weary of ANY persoanl trainer who claimed he could "kick-start your metabolism" by doing harder and new routines

that said, the RIGHT personal trainer can be invaluable, especially for those who are lost or dont know where to start with an exercise routne. You, however, do not seem to be new OR lost

Can he give you a couple complimentary sessions to try him out and see where he wants to go? If not, than i DEFINITELY wouldnt train with him.\

And any good trainer would know right away, that the key is diet, NOT newer and harder routines! Youve admittedly been slipping on your diet. Perhaps its time to buckle down and get serious and dedicated to it again.

Fat loss is about diet... we TRAIN to be healthy and look good, or for specific ssports/fitness related goals, if that makes sense.

After having said all that, i had a personal trainer for over a year who i adored. He was incredible, and understood my personal goals *running a marathon/ being a competitive runner runner at the 10K) abnd he helped me achieve them, by teaching me the way to train for my goals. I out grew him, however.

If you are looking for something new and challenging, im sure there are bootcamp style classes offered in your city. These can be great, and for a lot less than a trainer. You will get to do brand new challenging workouts, and have some instruction, for a fraction of the cost.

But none of that will matter if your diet isnt under control.

beerab 11-04-2010 04:25 PM

Maybe you could sign up for just a month or two of sessions and then see if you want more after that?

I had a trainer and I learned a lot from her-you've lost so much you obviously know what to do but I agree it wouldn't hurt to shake things up- a trainer will push you that I can guarantee.\

ETA of course make sure you do at least one or two free sessions first.

sacha 11-04-2010 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mkroyer (Post 3553134)
personally, i would be weary of ANY persoanl trainer who claimed he could "kick-start your metabolism" by doing harder and new routines

x2. This guy is lying off the bat. Now, building muscle can lead to more calorie burn, but building lean quality muscle can take years. If it is diet you struggle with, you may be better off with a nutritionist as personal trainers, in general, aren't advised to give diet information (some can)

As for your questions:

- Personally, I prefer a nutritionist and to do my own training.

- I had one from 20-22 while training for a fitness exam

- None. Diet is up to you. You do not lose weight with a trainer, you lose weight with diet, and the trainer motivates you to work out.

- If you are new to working out and can afford it, by all means, go for it.

- Metabolism? Your body is your body. Metabolism and exercise regime are not really related.

If you want a trainer, do your research. Ask for referrals, client testimonials, etc. If they try and sell you BS, then walk away. Remember that some PT's are like used car salesman - if they think you are clueless, they will take you for a ride. Beware of this.

guamvixen 11-04-2010 04:30 PM

My personal experience, I had a trainer for 8 weeks and only lost about 5 lbs during that time. I felt like I didn't get my money's worth, but like someone mentioned earlier, not every trainer is created equal. Would I try again with someone else? NOPE. It was too expensive and I got better results on my own. Good luck to you! However, on a side note, there are lots of gyms that offer 3 free training sessions. I would say try it out. Maybe your experience will be much better!

xty 11-04-2010 05:39 PM

My trainer is my lifeline. He has changed my life and I would sooner cut out many other things than him!

I knew a great deal about diet and nutrition, but not much about how my body dymanics worked or the various pros and cons of each movement, combo of movements, etc.

And most importantly, I have chronic back issues. Its really that reason I felt I needed someone very mindful of not hurting me, while pushing the envelope of what I could do.

However - for your circumstances I probably wouldnt get a trainer.

You sound like you need some inspiration, information and new routines! Why not just try classes? Like a bootcamp style class where you do more than cardio...my trainer offers those in addition to one on ones for a much cheaper price. If you are able bodied I would highly suggest that route.

Also - just try changing up your routine. Our bodies habituate to doing the same work over and over again.